Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 09:41:56 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Once Bitcoin becomes mainstream...  (Read 475 times)
zigglr6 (OP)

Activity: 18
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 04, 2017, 07:04:13 PM

It's currently estimated about 3 million people own some amount of Bitcoin.

That's about 0.3% of the population of Europe and North America.

If Bitcoin becomes mainstream, and say 50% of people in Europe and NA own Bitcoin, how much would it be worth?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ranggawulung

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 04, 2017, 07:16:28 PM

difficult question. The price of bitcoin does not depend on how many people own it. Each person can have 1 orange, but this does not mean that the price of oranges will grow around the world Wink The technologies that appear due to bitcoins have a more significant role in this market. I also do not think that bitcoin will be divided equally among all people. Someone will have a lot of bitcoins, they have few cohorts and the first will decide the fate of the bitcoins.
eckmar
Legendary

Activity: 1878
Merit: 1038

Telegram: https://t.me/eckmar

View Profile
November 04, 2017, 07:18:47 PM

If Bitcoin becomes mainstream, and say 50% of people in Europe and NA own Bitcoin, how much would it be worth?

Amount of people that own it does not matter. Demand matters. If lets say 50% of the people want to own Bitcoin but don't have it that would drive the price insane.
Nilda

Activity: 336
Merit: 14

View Profile
November 05, 2017, 05:22:40 AM

If bitcoin becomes mainstream, which I predict would be in the next five years. We would see the quadrupling of people investing, there'll be no need to convince skeptics. The product will just continue to promote itself.

HabBear

Activity: 1106
Merit: 637

View Profile WWW
November 05, 2017, 06:26:59 AM

Assuming supply remains constant (to keep things simple), the increase of demand should reflect a 1:1 relationship, percentage wise to price. If demand goes up 10%, price should go up 10%.

What we can't assume is that each new person buying bitcoin buys the same amount. That starts to complicate the projections because it requires us to make assumptions based on more hunch and less fact.
MrZ28s

Activity: 475
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 05, 2017, 06:41:41 AM

Assuming supply remains constant (to keep things simple), the increase of demand should reflect a 1:1 relationship, percentage wise to price. If demand goes up 10%, price should go up 10%.

What we can't assume is that each new person buying bitcoin buys the same amount. That starts to complicate the projections because it requires us to make assumptions based on more hunch and less fact.

I have read somewhere this year from a reliable financing group that Bitcoin have the potential to rise $100,000 to $200,000. I think it was Goldman Sachs analyzing Bitcoin's future. I am not really sure but maybe Asia Pacific holds more Bitcoins than North America or Europe. South Korea, China and Japan alone probably composes more than 1/3 of the world's Bitcoin supply.
verifyas

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

Verify is an Ethereum-powered Reputation protocol

View Profile WWW
November 05, 2017, 07:17:20 AM

difficult question. The price of bitcoin does not depend on how many people own it. Each person can have 1 orange, but this does not mean that the price of oranges will grow around the world Wink The technologies that appear due to bitcoins have a more significant role in this market. I also do not think that bitcoin will be divided equally among all people. Someone will have a lot of bitcoins, they have few cohorts and the first will decide the fate of the bitcoins.

Spot on. I think the technologies that were stir by bitcoin and the blockchain is what would be really valuable here. However to me this does not mean that bitcoin would get any cheaper. to the contrary I believe its value would just grow more given it is a limited quantity asset.

✓✓  verify   ★★★★★  The Ethereum-powered Reputation Platform for Commerce
The Future of Reputation   //  WHITEPAPER  //
████████████│    MEDIUM    |    Live Chat on DISCORD    │████████████
no0dlepunk

Activity: 490
Merit: 258

View Profile
November 05, 2017, 07:28:42 AM

Amount of people that own it does not matter. Demand matters. If lets say 50% of the people want to own Bitcoin but don't have it that would drive the price insane.
Exactly! Even though every people from the UNITED STATES owns bitcoin but its only them and nobody else wants to have some, the price will not go up very much I guess. In contrast, even though only 3 people owns every bitcoin all across the globe, but the entire human race wants a piece of it, expect bitcoin to be more expensive than your life.
zarados

Activity: 364
Merit: 130

View Profile
November 05, 2017, 07:36:49 AM

yes, and I thought its less than 1% in the whole country has own bitcoin and the current price was already around $7.5k/btc. Let's assume that each 1% was presenting a $7.5k for price, it means when bitcoin become mainstream and used by 50% of population the price would be around $375k/btc and its minimal. Well that just a simple assuming from me.
ImHash

Activity: 924
Merit: 506

View Profile
November 05, 2017, 10:25:29 AM

Well you shouldn't count on me to sell my bitcoins Cheesy  If bitcoin doesn't reach as high as $15,000 in the next 2 years I might sell my coins, Because I expect the price to double every year. Not every bitcoin holder would sell their bitcoins and cash out completely you know?
The same thing I believe is causing the price to move up, They are withholding their coins from the market.
Herbert2020
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1137

View Profile
November 05, 2017, 11:17:36 AM

i would love to have more information on this. such as where did these estimators get this number from? is there an article about it and can you break it down.
if i had to guess, i'd say it is a lot more than 3 million. there are more accounts on sites like blockchain.info and coinbase!

50% is huge, by that time price would be a lot more than this. somewhere around $500,000 seems like a good estimate to me. and that number have been thrown around a couple of times by different speculators too. but if you think about it in terms of satoshi that would be $0.005 per satoshi which is pretty low still Wink

Weak hands have been complaining about missing out ever since bitcoin was $1 and never buy the dip.
Whales are those who keep buying the dip.
fabiorem

Activity: 1400
Merit: 347

View Profile
November 05, 2017, 11:17:40 AM

We cant use bitcoin for payments for two reasons: Visa/Mastercard oligopoly and the value which is always up.

I used bitcoin to pay a cloud two or three times (paid for a year each time), and was regretful later, as this became the most expensive cloud ever.

So, when we say mainstream we are not meaning the population in general, using it as a currency in place of fiat, because we still have the credit card oligopoly running around, and bitcoin is extreme deflationary. We mean, instead, the stock exchanges and future markets. Thats the mainstream that can rocket the price to Mars.

Expect prices on five digits. 10k will be the floor, and the manipulation will swing in the thousands, not hundreds.

teilwalL05

Activity: 980
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 05, 2017, 12:35:15 PM

Yup! that is right you can not determine the price of bitcoin by the percentage of people owning it, but it can certainly raise it's value you can determine it by the number of transaction it make and by the number of bought bitcoins significantly the market cap doesn't really determine the high price of bitcoin but in the popularity and demand for it you can surely say that the price will go beyond, but we can not determine the exact price but only the estimated price.
eckmar
Legendary

Activity: 1878
Merit: 1038

Telegram: https://t.me/eckmar

View Profile
November 05, 2017, 12:36:33 PM

Well you shouldn't count on me to sell my bitcoins Cheesy  If bitcoin doesn't reach as high as $15,000 in the next 2 years I might sell my coins, Because I expect the price to double every year. Not every bitcoin holder would sell their bitcoins and cash out completely you know?
The same thing I believe is causing the price to move up, They are withholding their coins from the market.

Double ? Have you looked over charts for this year ? Bitcoin gone up over 10 times since last year at this time. Double is still good, but it will be more than that I can guarantee
alexzorgo

Activity: 630
Merit: 103

View Profile
November 05, 2017, 01:41:05 PM

The bitcoin will widely extend if equals all hopes of people. Wide circulation is a proof of successful development of cryptocurrency. Until it occurred - means there are unresolved problems which are the reason of a low market demand, low capitalization of the cryptomarket. Nobody wants to buy the left unfinished goods with the unknown future. On the other hand, early followers after whom the mass users confident in a minimum risk of investment come are necessary for any innovation. I think, widespread introduction of cryptocurrency will happen during the steady market, without signs of big volatility. And wild price fluctuations on currencies will be already in the past. But by that moment bitcoin cost, probably, will increase a minimum fivefold from current price.
Freshmen

Activity: 334
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 11, 2017, 06:35:16 AM

If bitcoin becomes mainstream, which I predict would be in the next five years. We would see the quadrupling of people investing, there'll be no need to convince skeptics. The product will just continue to promote itself.
Yes it will be good if it became the main stream, then everyone will try by his own to get proper knowledge about bitcoin and get in to it, and its popularity and worth will increase with time very speedy, its demand will increase and investors will try to invest more to  get a high output. Hopefully it will be able in coming years to replace all other currencies in future.
Sensill

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
November 11, 2017, 08:19:11 AM

real rich people is who join this site at 2011 and till now trust in bitcoin those may have more than 100 BTC and now invest them money so as general those people is rich now , newbie no

hase0278

Activity: 882
Merit: 544

View Profile
November 11, 2017, 08:37:44 AM

The only certain thing is that it would be worth much more when it becomes mainstream. It can also be easily spent everywhere, even on groceries. It would also be taxed by that time and tax evasion using bitcoin would be illegal when that time comes. Probably when it becomes mainstream, being a bitcoin miner would be recognized as an official profession. There might even be courses that can be taken by college students related to bitcoin mining itself.
nidacoinlove

Activity: 588
Merit: 254

View Profile
November 11, 2017, 09:15:57 AM

Yes it will be good if it became the main stream, then everyone will try by his own to get proper knowledge about bitcoin and get in to it, and its popularity and worth will increase with time very speedy, its demand will increase and investors will try to invest more to  get a high output. Hopefully it will be able in coming years to replace all other currencies in future.
I agree with you except one thing that bitcoin will replace all other currencies. The world population is too huge to rely on the bitcoin only. Bitcoin is a very limited currency with a few million while the rest of the world currencies are separately in trillions of the big economies.
Bitcoin will be only used as a fixed asset in the future if it is mainstreamed. It can't be used as a currency because of its low volume flow in the market.
batang_bitcoin

Activity: 2968
Merit: 600

Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!

View Profile
November 11, 2017, 09:36:32 AM

No one knows the answer on this and there's no exact value or worth for bitcoin by that moment when it comes to it's pricing. But it's valuable and it will be one of the most important thing for every person that does have bitcoin on their wallets. This will make the demand higher so just expect that bitcoin will be more than $10,000 since the users are all over the world and we can only just estimate.

▄▄████████▄▄
▄▄████████████████▄▄
▄██
████████████████████▄
▄███
██████████████████████▄
▄████
███████████████████████▄
███████████████████████▄
█████████████████▄███████
████████████████▄███████▀
██████████▄▄███▄██████▀