Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 01:54:44 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: bounty campaigns: take care of your ETH private key  (Read 379 times)
vlom (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1113

View Profile
October 12, 2017, 08:35:43 PM
Last edit: January 13, 2018, 08:30:11 AM by vlom

hi

i checked about 20 spreadsheets of bounty campaigns. and in these lists i found about 15 private keys to ETH addresses.
people post their key instead of their address.

all the addresses had nothing in it. maybe somebody else already emptied them.

The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
crazylikeafox

Activity: 798
Merit: 251

View Profile
October 12, 2017, 08:49:01 PM

hi

i checked about 20 spreadsheets of bounty campaigns. and in these lists i found about 15 private keys to ETH addresses.

Then they really deserve to lose their tokens because its clearly states what is the address and the private key.
justin86

Activity: 406
Merit: 100

Market Integration Platform

View Profile
October 12, 2017, 09:10:38 PM

One may wrongly enter it and it is so immediately listed on the spreadsheet. They probably aware of it and move their coins immediately to another wallet. If not so, they are obvious newbie.

mmo_online_1981

Activity: 798
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 12, 2017, 09:13:32 PM

hi

Thanks your info! I alway check before sent any think! but one times, i  had mistake, so very sad!
 Angry Angry Angry
panditos

Activity: 69
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 12, 2017, 09:21:23 PM

hi

How is it possible? ETH address has the easily identifiable beginning 0x.
equator
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 12, 2017, 09:22:22 PM

hi

Thanks your info! I alway check before sent any think! but one times, i  had mistake, so very sad!
 Angry Angry Angry

This is what happens when without getting full knowledge about the procedure to join a bounty campaigns and do their own method of work and then after making loss they realize their mistake.
thepo1m

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 12, 2017, 09:31:26 PM

hi

That is foolishness, if someone can no differentiate at this stage the difference between wallet address and Private keys. 15 private keys is a huge number
dadandandadan

Activity: 86
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 12, 2018, 03:56:17 PM

hi

I do notice it to, there are lots of misunderstanding of sending information on participating campaigns some participants sends their private key instead of their address and this can lead to another victim of Hackers.
On my experience on participating i notice one of participants who accidentally put his/her private key on the address information, you can tell it even by just looking. As you notice in myetherwallet all address are started at 0 digit and x character, first of seing his address with an starting string of 45c76***********************************************************(if im not mistaken) I already noticed that its not an address rather a private key.
To check whether my conclusion is true I accessed his/her wallet and It surely are the private key so I check the balance but unfortunately its been already emptied I already saw the past transaction 14 hrs ago 5 different token had been transfered into different account.

So everyone should be inform and warn by these, better review all the information that you are about to send on others.

Zocadas

Activity: 909
Merit: 508

View Profile
January 12, 2018, 04:07:17 PM

This can also happen, when users login to their wallets with private keys, mark their addresses and forget to copy. In this way private keys instead of addresses are pasted. That happened to me, but I fortunately saw the mistake, before I posted the key.
Zadicar
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1020

View Profile
January 12, 2018, 05:22:18 PM

hi

This is a common thing which I do observed that people do mistakenly posted private keys instead of their own Eth wallet address.You would really be able to be hacked and people will surely get in on that wallet and took all the funds on it. Chances on hitting a jackpot on stealing other peoples coins,if you are careless then you would really make such loss but as far as I observed most people posted private keys are newbie or low ranks which most of those wallets are newly created.

Legendary / Hero Member

EPSILOAN ██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
██████████████████████████
██████ ▄▀██████████  ███████
███████▄▀▄▀██████  █████████
█████████▄▀▄▀██  ███████████
███████████▄▀▄ █████████████
███████████  ▄▀▄▀███████████
█████████  ████▄▀▄▀█████████
███████  ████████▄▀ ████████
████████████████████████████
▀▀████████████████████▀▀
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
█████████████████▀▀  ███████
█████████████▀▀      ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄▄     ███████
█████▀▀    ▄█▀▀     ████████
█████████ █▀        ████████
█████████ █ ▄███▄   ████████
██████████████████▄▄████████
▀▀████████████████████▀▀
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
█████▄     ███████    ▄█████
███████     █████    ███████
███████ ▄    ███     ███████
███████ █▄    █ █    ███████
███████ ██▄    ██    ███████
███████ ███▄  ███    ███████
█████▀   ▀██▄███▀     ▀█████
▀▀████████████████████▀▀
Zentor

Activity: 378
Merit: 12

View Profile
January 12, 2018, 05:25:59 PM

I don`t know what companies you`ve checked, I`ve saw this trick only in few airdrop forms
okala

Activity: 980
Merit: 114

View Profile
January 12, 2018, 08:29:30 PM

hi

Op, thank you for this wonderful observation as I think this is very possible and hackers can take advantage of this and steal people ethereum. What on earth would make some one to post it private keys in the place of his ethereum address. I agree with op that some one most have hacked those accounts and stole those ethereum balance.
bayu7adi

Activity: 1400
Merit: 544

paper money is going away

View Profile WWW
January 13, 2018, 12:52:49 AM

most bounty hunters store addresses and private keys in one notepad and are located close together, so a fatal error can result in private keys that they keep secret, even published.

they should use MetaMask, and save a separate private key with an ETH address
pacifista

Activity: 812
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 13, 2018, 07:26:27 AM

hi

It will only takes minute to empty all those wallets and there are people posting thier private keys in public with balances but the thing is you cannot withdraw the funds on that wallet because once you send eth on that address, after  recieving the eth it automaticaly send the eth to unique address.
shoreno

Activity: 1750
Merit: 118

View Profile
January 13, 2018, 12:43:15 PM

hi

It will only takes minute to empty all those wallets and there are people posting thier private keys in public with balances but the thing is you cannot withdraw the funds on that wallet because once you send eth on that address, after  recieving the eth it automaticaly send the eth to unique address.

of course you can empty their balances as long as you have their private keys because private keys are the ones you will use in order to open your myetherwallet account and most bounty campaigns especially erc20 related coins/tokens are required to get a myetherwallet account because it can supports all kind of coins and tokens whether it is old or new. but overall we cant do nothing about it and those people who actually do it are just careless  enough  or maybe they were just newbies that still confuse on what is a private key and eth address.
Torazto

Activity: 1

View Profile
January 13, 2018, 01:16:29 PM

One should double check when posting the addresses.
powermagic

Activity: 67

View Profile
January 13, 2018, 05:00:03 PM

sometimes someone is in a hurry to follow a limited number of camps and fill out a hasty form that leads to a lack of thoroughness in reading campaye terms.
krassy

Activity: 476
Merit: 19

View Profile WWW
January 14, 2018, 09:51:13 AM

how can users be such a fool to place a private key instead of an address, for sure someone is in a hurry to get their coins in any case, we must be very careful thank you for writing about this, perhaps users will become smarter and will keep track of their info.
Leamirra

Activity: 448
Merit: 116

View Profile
January 14, 2018, 11:45:02 AM

I often find that people, by their inexperience or inattention leave their private information. It's good that you created this topic and remind you that you need to be careful
czhen

Activity: 308
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 14, 2018, 12:31:33 PM

maybe they forget because it is not careful.
I've done something like that too.
therefore for your newbie must be meticulous and meticulous again
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: