Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 08:01:03 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mining profitability - what am I missing?  (Read 394 times)
winsucker (OP)

Activity: 20
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 09, 2013, 10:37:51 AM

I heard a lot of you talking about how your rigs are not profitable anymore, and selling them.

Are those calculations made on calculators like Coinwarz and Dustcoin + costs of the hardware or am I missing something?

(My coin of choice is LTC and BTC for storage + whatever fluctuate the most atm)
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
June 09, 2013, 10:42:30 AM

It'll be a mixture, you can't rely purely on the calculators but they give a good idea of what to expect, frankly for me it least mining gives less than the national wage minimum you'd have to put forward some serious hashing power to get any kind of a good return within a few months never mind a day. You also have to take into account once you start mining it's on 24/7 and the hardware needs to be paid off, if you're not making a profit right away then I don't really see the point.

If you've got the money to buy a miner I think you'd be better off developing a skillset people will pay you money for and at least with that you can transfer it over to various economies, I think trying to make money mining is pretty short sighted unless you're just doing it for fun.
winsucker (OP)

Activity: 20
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 09, 2013, 11:11:13 AM

It'll be a mixture, you can't rely purely on the calculators but they give a good idea of what to expect, frankly for me it least mining gives less than the national wage minimum you'd have to put forward some serious hashing power to get any kind of a good return within a few months never mind a day. You also have to take into account once you start mining it's on 24/7 and the hardware needs to be paid off, if you're not making a profit right away then I don't really see the point.

If you've got the money to buy a miner I think you'd be better off developing a skillset people will pay you money for and at least with that you can transfer it over to various economies, I think trying to make money mining is pretty short sighted unless you're just doing it for fun.

Thank you for your answer.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: