Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 05:48:58 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: send money to someone by mistake  (Read 960 times)
cryptolerant

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 13, 2017, 09:38:25 PM

I am afraid you cannot get the money back if you don't know the person and/or this person doesn't want to send money back.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Anonylz

Activity: 2562
Merit: 577

View Profile
October 13, 2017, 09:52:18 PM

Yes it is difficult, there are so many bitcoin addresses right now, but it is almost impossible to send to anyother wallet by mistake, because if you try to change a letter for a copied address, it will say that it is an invalid one, because there are not too many addresses, because there are so many digits and possible combinations.
But i made a mistake a few years ago, i sent $50 to a person by mistake, i just coppied the wrong address, and i sent to another guy instead of sending the money to the real receiver.

██▄     ▄▄░
▀██▄ ▄██▀
▄▄███████████████████▄▄
▄█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█████▄
████▀                   ▀████
████       ▄▄█████▄▄  ▀▄   ████
████      ▄██████████▄▀    ████
████      ████████▀▀       ████
████  ▄▀ ▄██▀▀▀   ▄██      ████
████   ▀▀     ▄▄███▀       ████
████▄                   ▄████
▀█████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████▀
▀▀███████████████████▀▀
SECONDLIVE
CHOOSE LIFE      CHOOSE SPACE      CHOOSE FRIENDS
                           Twitter       Telegram      Medium      YouTube      Discord        TikTok         GitHub               
        ▄▄███████▄▄▄
    ▄▄████████████████▄▄
   ████████████████████▄
  ███████▀▀▀█████████████
 ██████▌     ▀████████████
███████▀ ▀▀▄▄██▀▀▀█████████
██████             ▀███████
██████▄             ███████
 ███████▄▄        ▄███████
  ███████████▄▄▄▄█████████
   ▀███████████████████▀
     ▀████████████████▀▀
   ██████████████████████
Terry05

Activity: 140

View Profile
October 13, 2017, 09:55:07 PM

Its better to pause for a moment and do checking or verify the exact block chain wallet address of your receiver. there is always confirmation pop-up in the system every time you send bitcoin to other block chain account address.I thinks typing or pasting wrongly will create a big trouble in your side.luckily I haven't experience that because I carefully check the address before sending it.
dunfida
Legendary

Activity: 3080
Merit: 1131

View Profile
October 13, 2017, 10:03:15 PM

Have you ever send money to someone by mistake ? ever happened with you ?

Like i am going to send some money to my friend via blockch but mistakenly i send to someone ( a person you don't know )
Ive almost done that thing but luckily I have rechecked the address everytime when I do make some transfers and this is really my habit ever since which I do make some review either on both amount and on the address. There are times I do paste not correct address either its being added up by some character or decreased some.Luckily I didn't able to press that send button which would really be a cause of loss for sure.This is why its really advisable to make review anytime because there are instances that we do really make mistakes specially when we are on a hurry.

raymart0720

Activity: 322
Merit: 106

View Profile
October 13, 2017, 10:08:10 PM

Not me but my friend did.. he mistakenly send eth to wrong address and he was nothing to do but accept the fact that transaction is not reversible ... best luck for the guy that receive those eth
Yakamoto
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1007

View Profile
October 13, 2017, 10:21:01 PM

Like i am going to send some money to my friend via blockch but mistakenly i send to someone ( a person you don't know )
If something like that happens, I currently intend to do a replace-by-fee transaction so that it doesn't go to anyone it isn't supposed to, but if that doesn't work then I suck up the loss and make sure to not have it happen again, unless I want to lose more. Luckily, over the time I have been active within the community, I have had zero issues with sending Bitcoin to the wrong persons. Double-checking transactions goes a long way, and making sure that at least the first and last digit are the same is usually more than enough to ensure everything goes smoothly.

I have heard of people losing a lot due to some issue in the same vein, though.
Sketztrophonic

Activity: 76
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 14, 2017, 02:56:02 AM

I received a 0.1 BTC transaction on a old wallet adress probably by mistake. Was pretty happy when i discovered..

You are lucky because someone send you that by mistake. I never experienced that but I wish someone will mistakenly send mo some bitcoin. Although is it hard to believe due to unique addresses of bitcoin.
Zabrielle

Activity: 294
Merit: 105

View Profile
October 14, 2017, 03:00:48 AM

Omg! I havent tried that, if that so? I think we cant claim back our money because you can trace person i guess. We have to be careful in sending money, double check the numbers and all.
jtipt

Activity: 1064
Merit: 529

View Profile
October 14, 2017, 03:04:25 AM

That's not very likely to happen if you even give a second to check the address. Never happened with me as I have an habit to double check the address that I am sending. And it's not possible for you to send to an invalid address as the wallet should give you an error so missing a character or 2 while copying the address shouldn't be a problem.
JohnBitCo

Activity: 2030
Merit: 356

View Profile
October 14, 2017, 05:20:27 AM

It has never happened with me neither i think it can happen with someone. First of all you need a bitcoin address in order to send some satoshi to someone and everyone who use the bitcoin contain different addressees. So why would you type the an address with your own mistake to someone else address.
domgamer

Activity: 40
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 14, 2017, 05:24:10 AM

Not yet and i didn't wish that to happen to me because bitcoin transactions is irreversible. Always double or triple check the address before you send it.
Wicked17

Activity: 476
Merit: 107

View Profile
October 14, 2017, 05:32:27 AM

None so far. I make sure that i always double check the bitcoin address before i send bitcoin to other. Bitcoin payment is irreversible so only the person who will receive can refund your money. Its your responsibilty to take care of it. Always be cautious to avoid a mistake especially if you are sending a large amount of bitcoin

germa66

Activity: 168

View Profile
October 14, 2017, 11:37:25 AM

I have experienced the loss of several coins with the value of hundreds of dollars due to errors in doing withdraw, in fact I do not know my mistake lies where I certainly did not find my coin in my exchange wallet

faceoff97

Activity: 644
Merit: 113

View Profile
October 15, 2017, 11:48:21 AM

Luckily, Its not yet happening to me and hoping that it will never be. But something different happened to me, I've done so wrong sending BTC, I made a mistake when I overlooked that there will be charge for sending BTC. It never came to my mind that I have to pay  fee for sending on a external platform. I regret that I just do my usual way of transaction not minding other fees, what's worse is that, the fee/charge I paid is a larger amount than the BTC I have sent to a friend. After that, I become more careful.
Oceat

Activity: 2506
Merit: 368

View Profile
October 15, 2017, 11:52:36 AM

Nope. I always check the address that i am sending before clicking anything to send the money. Remember, you are dealing your own money to someone over in the internet which is if you send it in the wrong address you may never gonna get that money again. So, my tips is that check everything before you send it to someone. What i mean by checking is that look the address one by one. Always do a double check before you send that's it.  Wink

Rebellious

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 15, 2017, 12:16:21 PM

Always double, triple check the address because once it's sent there is nothing you can do to get it back
SingAlong

Activity: 294

View Profile
October 15, 2017, 12:27:09 PM

If you sent bitcoin to another address by mistake, then there really isn't anything you could do on your part.  However, if you know the contact information of that person, you could always PM him to send it back.

Bit in an instance that you somehow just mistakenly add some character(s) or erased it then there's nothing you can do. Transactions are irreversible in Bitcoin. As for me, I haven't encountered it yet since I double check the address.

◆  ◆  ◆  ◇      P L A Z A      ◇  ◆  ◆  ◆            The Intersection of Lifestyle & Technology
[ WHITEPAPER ]     PRE-SALE Starts  │  March 15th, 2018     [ ANN THREAD ]
TELEGRAM        GITHUB       MEDIUM        YOUTUBE        TWITTER        FLIPBOARD        REDDIT        LINKEDIN        FACEBOOK        EMAIL
Peashooter

Activity: 868
Merit: 257

View Profile
October 15, 2017, 12:38:00 PM

Fortunately no. Not yet. And I prefer not it to happen to me. So every time you make transactions, make sure you do it right or else you know what will happen. Check it and make sure every character is right. Never overlooked because you won't get it back once you made the transaction.
joseafonso123az

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 15, 2017, 01:31:36 PM

This is one of the disadvantages BTC has over fiat, becaus eonce the money is sent by mistake to someone, you can't retrieve it, and you can only pray that the other guy who received it, is human enough to send you back the BTC.  And if you are sending big quantities, you have always to double check to which address you are sending, so you don't send it to anyone by mistake.
An0nyMoose

Activity: 490
Merit: 255

View Profile
October 15, 2017, 01:58:07 PM

I'm not sure how you would do that, all you have to do is scan the QR code. If you're typing it in manually I feel bad for you, you should always double and triple check to make sure you copied it correct.

Blockonomics                          ██
                         ████  ██

▄▄▄███████▄▄▄ ████  ████  ██
      ▄▄█████████████████▄▄  ████  ████
    ▄█████▀▀         ▀▀█████▄ ██  ████
   ████▀                 ▀████   ████
  ████      ████████▄      ████ ████
 ████        ██    ██▄      ████ ██
████         ██     ██       ████
████         ██   ▄██▀       ████
████         ███████         ████
████         ██    ██▄       ████