Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 06:00:05 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone still GPU mining?  (Read 5497 times)
capitoljay

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 13, 2013, 01:57:02 PM

It makes sense to switch to Litecoins when GPU mining and sell LTC for BTC

Or PowerCoin - it's still relatively new and mining should be easy; if the value goes up, you can exchange it for Bitcoins.

Looks interesting.  Higher ultimate coin count and new enough to be ASIC resistant.  If it catches on, it could be really good, but it's got some tough competition in litecoin.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
atariguy

Activity: 364
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 13, 2013, 04:13:48 PM

mine LTC and dont convert to fiat...convert to BTC.

The exchange rate between LTC and BTC is such that it doesn't really matter which one you mine for...
atariguy

Activity: 364

View Profile
June 13, 2013, 04:14:21 PM

Looks interesting.  Higher ultimate coin count and new enough to be ASIC resistant.  If it catches on, it could be really good, but it's got some tough competition in litecoin.

It's not the age that matters, it's the algorithm. ASICs can't do scrypt.
gh2k

Activity: 126

View Profile WWW
June 13, 2013, 04:32:48 PM

mine LTC and dont convert to fiat...convert to BTC.

The exchange rate between LTC and BTC is such that it doesn't really matter which one you mine for...

This is what I've found at the moment. I've got 3 7970s running right now, and I find that if I switch to Litecoin I've made about the same as I would have in BTC in the same time period if I sell it.

I have a BFL pre-order from March this year, so if/when that arrives, I'll probably switch my GPUs to Litecoin to keep things a bit more diverse.
iceTwy

Activity: 7

View Profile WWW
June 13, 2013, 04:42:27 PM

It's not the age that matters, it's the algorithm. ASICs can't do scrypt.

Does that mean that, in the end, ASICs should be let dominating the Bitcoin mining world whilst 'regular', PC-based miners should mine alternative currencies such as LiteCoin (which from what I've heard, is optimized for GPU).

If that is so, I might just as well start mining LiteCoins!
2jase

Activity: 34

View Profile
June 13, 2013, 04:47:09 PM

I've mined LTC and BTC and the results work out almost exactly the same when converted to fiat or each other.  I'm mining BTC now mainly because it's easier than converting. Once ASICs come on-line in big numbers and BTC difficulty spikes I'll switch to either LTC or another alt coin.  My 7950 rigs are energy efficient enough that they're still making a small profit, though once it gets hot on the east coast I'll have to shut them down since my A/C is pretty lousy unless an alt coin is making a significant amount of money.

gh2k

Activity: 126

View Profile WWW
June 13, 2013, 04:52:23 PM

LiteCoin (which from what I've heard, is optimized for GPU).

LiteCoin was actually designed to be hard to mine on the GPU, due to the memory requirements of the algorithm. Of course, people are smart and managed to figure this out. Eventually, somebody /might/ be able to come up with dedicated hardware to mine LTC, but it's likely to be much more expensive and difficult to produce than the BTC ASIC hardware, and the value of LTC is nothing like high enough to make that a profitable thing to be trying to do at this stage.
iceTwy

Activity: 7

View Profile WWW
June 13, 2013, 04:56:44 PM

LiteCoin (which from what I've heard, is optimized for GPU).

LiteCoin was actually designed to be hard to mine on the GPU, due to the memory requirements of the algorithm. Of course, people are smart and managed to figure this out. Eventually, somebody /might/ be able to come up with dedicated hardware to mine LTC, but it's likely to be much more expensive and difficult to produce than the BTC ASIC hardware, and the value of LTC is nothing like high enough to make that a profitable thing to be trying to do at this stage.

Aye, thanks for the explanation. I'll stick to BTC for a while then, but I do have to admit I'm a bit jealous when I see all those ASIC war machines that I can't really afford Grin
bitbeast

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 13, 2013, 06:43:46 PM

Look there:

http://dustcoin.com/mining

Time is money mining.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  

Jump to: