Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 05:57:00 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What is the difference between ICO and Token sale?  (Read 1429 times)
Cryptokobi (OP)

Activity: 602
Merit: 100

VOTE TO EARN - Here's your chance to VOTE, IMPACT

View Profile WWW
October 15, 2017, 06:56:18 AM

ICO stands for Initial Coin Offering, which is similar to Initial Public Offering.

IPO is selling securities.

If the coin represents an investment, ownership of other assets, pays dividends, etc., then it is a security. Unless the ICO has filed with the regulators, they are not allowed to sell securities.

Token Sales is selling tokens, preferably to be used in playing games or gambling. They should not represent ownership of other assets, pay dividends, etc.
So, if I invest in an ICO I will get dividend?

No, not necessarily. It depends on the ICO and if they are claiming that they will pay a dividend.

Any ICO that claims that they will pay a dividend or that you will make a profit, you should be very suspicious and cautious for these reasons:

-  Technology startups rarely pay dividends.  Google and Facebook still don't pay dividends.
-  You should thoroughly understand how they will make the money to pay the dividend.
-  If they claim that they will pay dividend or provide a return on investment, then they are selling a security.  In which case, they are putting themselves on the top of the regulator's list, if and when the regulators start cracking down on ICOs for selling securities.  If regulators go after them, then the value of the coin will drop.

Thanks

VOTE TO EARN - Here's your chance to VOTE, IMPACT & EARN!

https://www.votetoearn.net/

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Cryptokobi (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 15, 2017, 07:29:37 AM

Difference between ICO and Token Sale ? Actually there is no difference between ICO (Initial coin offer) and Token Sale. Initial coin offer(ICO) is the sale of token at discount price when coin is not listed in the market. A virtual price is set of coin in comparison of ETH and offer is made to sale of coin with bonus coin. there may be benefit or loss in investing ICO. First read the details of the project before investing in the ICO.
Hey, yes this what I did before investing at Payperex. I read the details and I got a feeling that they will deliver. Thanks!

Cryptokobi (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 16, 2017, 02:57:39 PM

ICO is Initial Coin Offering and IPO is Initial Public offering and both have regulators and ICO can't sell securities like IPO. And Tokensale happens after ICO.
thanks

Cryptokobi (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 16, 2017, 06:50:26 PM

ICO is Initial Coin Offering and IPO is Initial Public offering and both have regulators and ICO can't sell securities like IPO. And Tokensale happens after ICO.
I am not sure about it, I know few companies doing token sale without ICO

Zakhal

Activity: 280

I love crypto

View Profile
October 16, 2017, 06:52:02 PM

I always buy my tokens from EtherDelta after the ICO and under ICO price. Which leads me to think they are all scam..
happyme1818

Activity: 568
Merit: 254

View Profile
October 16, 2017, 07:51:02 PM

I always buy my tokens from EtherDelta after the ICO and under ICO price. Which leads me to think they are all scam..
Not all ICO are scam, but majority off them. It is your responsibility  to know which one is a legit one. Information is not so hard to find any more. All you have to so is to do some research before investing in ICO.
Franko30

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 16, 2017, 08:43:36 PM

ICO is a way to crowdfunding find money to projects, and sometimes it is good investing, but u also can fail
Token sale could happen after ICO, or like another event, less profitable and not risky, as i understand
rumexx

Activity: 476

View Profile
October 16, 2017, 08:57:40 PM

The two are the same.  Initial coins Offering (ICO) is when a startsup want to raise fund to start their project or expand it. They will sale tokens which will eventually become the coins.
SixOfFive

Activity: 630
Merit: 257

View Profile
October 16, 2017, 09:05:08 PM

There is no as such difference between token sale and ICO. ICO is Initial public offering and token can be defines as the unit we purchase. Just like in IPO we got shares....in ICO we got tokens and after listing in an exchange these tokens is called coins.
So don't worry ICO sale and Token sale both are the same thing.
Cryptokobi (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 17, 2017, 05:27:35 AM

There is no as such difference between token sale and ICO. ICO is Initial public offering and token can be defines as the unit we purchase. Just like in IPO we got shares....in ICO we got tokens and after listing in an exchange these tokens is called coins.
So don't worry ICO sale and Token sale both are the same thing.
Thanks!

kimochidesh

Activity: 518
Merit: 257

View Profile
October 17, 2017, 08:02:43 PM

ICO and Token are one and same thing. You will get tokens in ICO sale. Initial coin offering(ICO) launched by a co. to raise crowdfunding from the public all around the world. It helps entrepreneurs to raise funding for their project. If ICO get overwhelm response than its price increases otherwise will get decrease.
vfrcbv911

Activity: 238
Merit: 144

View Profile
October 17, 2017, 08:22:19 PM

ICO is the process by which you gain tokens by donating money to developers to develop their project. It's simple.

Fancyax

Activity: 196

Personal Text: Pre-sale - March 18

View Profile
October 17, 2017, 09:03:46 PM

ICO (initial token offering) and token sale are the same.

kafeelniazi

Activity: 280

Organic PR on Tier 1 media

View Profile
October 17, 2017, 09:09:50 PM

no difference dude,
ICO is the technical name of token sale, usually during token sale people purchased the new invented coins ticket and then they will used it in different purpose according to ICO .

"Unlock Your Project's True Potential with Leading Media Exposure: Get Featured on Forbes, Coin Telegraph, USA WEEKLY & more – Gain Global Recognition and Skyrocket Your Success!"
Cryptokobi (OP)

View Profile WWW
November 19, 2017, 12:15:59 PM

ICO and Token are one and same thing. You will get tokens in ICO sale. Initial coin offering(ICO) launched by a co. to raise crowdfunding from the public all around the world. It helps entrepreneurs to raise funding for their project. If ICO get overwhelm response than its price increases otherwise will get decrease.
Ok, thanks

Cryptokobi (OP)

View Profile WWW
November 20, 2017, 01:41:22 PM

no difference dude,
ICO is the technical name of token sale, usually during token sale people purchased the new invented coins ticket and then they will used it in different purpose according to ICO .
There is , Token sale is for specific use unique ecosystem. ICO is Coin for Coin use

kaeluxdeuz

Activity: 784
Merit: 510

Sovryn - Brings DeFi to Bitcoin

View Profile
November 20, 2017, 02:37:31 PM

I agree with the description of ICO and IPO but as regards the Tokensales part..  Tokensales is the ICO. Do you mean that Token distribution happens after ICO, i believe that is what you meant.

.#1 DeFi for Bitcoin Platform.            ███   ███
           ███   ███
          ███   ███
         ███   ███
        ███   ███
       ███   ███
      ███   ███
     ███   ███
    ███   ███
   ███   ███
  ███   ███
 ███   ███
███   ███
▄  ▄██████████████████████▄  ▄
 ▀▄ ▀████████████████████▀ ▄▀
  ▀█ ▀████▀ ▄▄            █▀
   ▀█▄ ▀█ ████████████▀ ▄█▀
     ██▄ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███  ██
      ███      ▀█▄ ▀ ▄██
       ███▄ ▀█████ ▄███
        ████ ▀██▀ ▄███
         ▀███▄  ▄███▀
          ▀███▄ ▀██▀
            ████▄ ▀
             ████▀
              ▀█▀
SOVRYN███   ███
 ███   ███
  ███   ███
   ███   ███
    ███   ███
     ███   ███
      ███   ███
       ███   ███
        ███   ███
         ███   ███
          ███   ███
           ███   ███
            ███   ███
.Join Origin Pre-Sale.
████████████████████████████
████████▀▀▄██████▄▀▀████████
███████  ▀        ▀  ███████
██████                ██████
█████▌   ███    ███   ▐█████
█████▌   ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀   ▐█████
██████                ██████
███████▄  ▀██████▀  ▄███████
█████████████████▀▀  ███████
█████████████▀▀      ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄▄     ███████
█████▀▀    ▄█▀▀     ████████
█████████ █▀        ████████
█████████ █ ▄███▄   ████████
██████████████████▄▄████████
Cryptokobi (OP)

View Profile WWW
February 16, 2018, 07:41:19 AM

I agree with the description of ICO and IPO but as regards the Tokensales part..  Tokensales is the ICO. Do you mean that Token distribution happens after ICO, i believe that is what you meant.
yes

inooll00

Activity: 165
Merit: 12

View Profile
February 16, 2018, 08:15:07 AM

So far I only understand, if in ICO then the coin or tokens are sold have a cheap price, whereas in token sale there is no special time, so it happens anytime either in the ICO or outside ICO. And the price was hanging right then
cryptonianz

Activity: 196

View Profile
February 16, 2018, 08:48:53 AM

The term ICO is often used to describe Ethereum token launches. But coins and tokens are two very different things…

ICO  otherwise called  Initial Coin Offering  is a term created to describe the many bitcoin clones and other “coin” clones that erupted over the years. Bitcoin is basically a distributed ledger that performs best as digital money — a simple example of the power of decentralization. Satoshi Nakamoto’s consensus process is revolutionary! But you can’t build much with it. Ethereum can do what Bitcoin does. It can be digital money too, but unlike Bitcoin, Ethereum is highly programmable — it’s designed to accommodate the construction of complex applications. Bitcoin produces “coins”. Ethereum generates “tokens”. A “Token Launch” is an Ethereum thing. An “ICO” is a bitcoin/altcoin thing.

Coins or Tokens really only have one utility — to act as simple stores of value with limited-to-no other functionality. By “simple” value, I mean value not represented or manifested through a variety of dynamic functions. Tokens are a completely different breed all together. They can store complex, multi-faceted levels of value. Forget everything you know about bitcoin and pre-mined coins and that entire ilk of tech, Ethereum tokens are generated by a Smart Contract System (SCS), are highly programmable and have multi-functionality because of it. They transcend being just a coin, and through their array of functions become something much more — “tokens”. Technically, they are not “offered”, they are “generated”. Probably the most accurate phrase of what’s going on during an Ethereum token launch is to describe it as a “Token Generation Event”, but I’m not sure TGE has the same flare as ICO. Nevertheless, a coin does one thing, and a token can do many things.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: