Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 04:54:05 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone know why the network hashing rate has gone down today?  (Read 8596 times)
enmaku

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 06:35:33 AM

110F/43C today. That is all.

It's probably a dry heat though... Smiley

9% humidity. Feels GREAT as they're loading you in the back of the ambulance with heat stroke.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
AngelusWebDesign

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 06:42:25 AM

It's cooler here these days -- only hits 96 or 97.  A week or two ago we had highs of 105+
bcpokey

Activity: 602

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 06:47:24 AM

55 here, with a high of 66 today. (runs as other miners throw cans at him).
DC3

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 10:42:10 AM

fighting overheating issues in DC3, some capacity went down temporarily.... I suppose I am not the only one with such issues... 28-30 C outside...

Summer is a good stress-test for PUE=1.03 datacenters ;-)

Indeed. Though that PUE is  annually averaged estimate. Surely it is a bit higher right now. And well... practice and theory are not always the same. As they say,   “no battle plan ever survives the first encounter with the enemy”.

demonblack

Activity: 47
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 01:40:01 PM

It's summer here in Las Vegas, NV and I get the feeling I'll be laughing at what most of you are calling "heat" wherever you're from. I've actually had to offload a couple nodes to the homes of friends and family to keep my apartment under 85F, it's pretty miserable really.
lol u mad?
i'm in northern italy and right now (15:39 LT) there are 39°C in shadow, and it never dropped below 27°C in the last week...
85F is 30°.
dinker

Activity: 103
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 08:10:03 PM

I'm selling my mining farm, that's all.

Help Me Help You Donations:
14kP6tNtrz3woESs9nEE5aDB81QTybGyyZ
rograz

Activity: 575

View Profile
June 29, 2011, 07:58:45 AM

Deepbit had a few really unlucky days after the change while both deepbit and some other pools had some REALLY lucky days during the end of last difficulty blowing up the diff a bit higher than it should have been. Overall the hasrate of the network is still going up, granted at a slower speed than before.
AngelusWebDesign

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 29, 2011, 06:01:10 PM

Yeah, all those costly $160 5830's on eBay have to go somewhere...

(I saw a 5830 on eBay for $550 -- no joke!  And lots of them as high as $200. Not exactly SELLING at that price, but still!)

After they begged Mom to buy them one, those dumb kids want to start making their $2.30 a day ASAP -- after all, they have a LONG way to go before they're actually making money...
film2240
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

Freelance videographer

View Profile WWW
June 30, 2011, 11:34:56 PM

It's summer here in Las Vegas, NV and I get the feeling I'll be laughing at what most of you are calling "heat" wherever you're from. I've actually had to offload a couple nodes to the homes of friends and family to keep my apartment under 85F, it's pretty miserable really.

It's hot in UK as well.The problem is that even though the UK actually has cooler summers than USA,it's the humidity that's really problematic there.I know cus I'm from UK.The uncomfortable heat (plus humidity) is really causing me problems now for my 2 mining computers. I've had to leave my laptop running overnight 24/7 for 1.5wks now while Pc rests overnight to beat the heat.It's bad news because you're not really profiting anymore and can just about cover electricity costs (but that's it).The part of UK I'm on can be as hot as 35oC or more in the tough summers there and the humidity is quite high there as well.

Just adding my experience to share it with you guys.

P.S.Please don't mention why laptop GPUs are crap or anything else about the 'proper' way to mine but this is about beating the heat,not highest performance (I think).I am also fully aware of the risks and benefits of certain setups and practices.Thank you.

[This signature is available for rent.BTC/ETH/LTC or £50 equivalent a month]
FreeJAC

Activity: 112

View Profile
July 02, 2011, 12:53:14 AM

Ahh so I guess all the Canucks in the great white north have one advantage in mining eh? Grin
It's been struggling to get to 17c today. We usually only get a handful of 30c in the months of July Aug. No need for AC in my house! ;-) And no it is not an igloo! LOL! 

Donate here.... 18NiDLDA3qRxkEPN36xrzsdSgvEkbDKgNr
Zoomer

Activity: 658

View Profile
July 02, 2011, 02:02:59 AM

Ahh so I guess all the Canucks in the great white north have one advantage in mining eh? Grin
It's been struggling to get to 17c today. We usually only get a handful of 30c in the months of July Aug. No need for AC in my house! ;-) And no it is not an igloo! LOL! 

How far north are you? I checked Toronto and they will hit 32 C over the weekend.
Mousepotato

Activity: 896

Seal Cub Clubbing Club

View Profile
July 02, 2011, 04:34:16 AM

Anyway, it's been said over and over and over and over. Difficulty follows price. We had a huge huge huge jump in price, followed by tons of people buying tons of mining hardware, after that we had a huge huge huge fall in price, followed by a big jump in difficulty.
So what price was difficulty following when Bitcoin first launched?

Mousepotato
bcpokey

Activity: 602

View Profile
July 02, 2011, 03:23:11 PM

Anyway, it's been said over and over and over and over. Difficulty follows price. We had a huge huge huge jump in price, followed by tons of people buying tons of mining hardware, after that we had a huge huge huge fall in price, followed by a big jump in difficulty.
So what price was difficulty following when Bitcoin first launched?

Roll Eyes

Because bitcoin @ launch and bitcoin today are exactly the same right? We had GPU miners, nicely set up exchanges, media blitzes about bitcoin making money and silkroad exchanging bitcoin for drugs, tens of thousands of miners and potentially more speculators back in 2009 right?

But regardless, as an answer, the price was essentially null at launch, and the difficulty remained around 1, the lowest possible value. So your trite little question finds its answer there. Bitcoin was worth nothing, and we had almost no one mining. No violations there.
skyhigh

Activity: 142
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 02, 2011, 05:07:08 PM

As I understand it, I could be wrong since I'm fairly new, it was only Satoshi for the whole year 2009 because difficulty was 1.00 all the way to block 32256 when difficulty moved to 1.18 on date 2009-12-30. Maybe he got more CPUs for his new year gift and difficulty went to 1.18 followed to 1.30 then 1.34 and so on. There was no bitcoin price/value at that time. $0.00.

You can check all of this here  http://blockexplorer.com/q/nethash when you will figure out what is what, then you type the block # here http://blockexplorer.com/ to get the exact date.
Mousepotato

Activity: 896

Seal Cub Clubbing Club

View Profile
July 02, 2011, 08:41:11 PM

As I understand it, I could be wrong since I'm fairly new, it was only Satoshi for the whole year 2009 because difficulty was 1.00 all the way to block 32256 when difficulty moved to 1.18 on date 2009-12-30. Maybe he got more CPUs for his new year gift and difficulty went to 1.18 followed to 1.30 then 1.34 and so on. There was no bitcoin price/value at that time. $0.00.

This is precisely why it's absurd to make assumptions that difficulty follows price since there's been points where there was no price at all yet difficulty still rose.  You can draw certain correlations between the two, but there's a reason why "with a lag" catchall is almost always appended to the "difficulty follows price" pitch.  "With a lag" pretty much covers all your bases once the numbers start to get away from the theory.

Mousepotato
triforcelink

Activity: 112

View Profile
July 03, 2011, 02:25:53 AM

It usually doesn't go down, but only up.  Did a bunch of the miners decide to give up because the BTC price has stabilized?  Or do the miners think the price will drop soon?

When it rises like this a lot of people who made 2-4-6 BTC a day won't like making 1-2-3 BTC a day. Sure they might still be making money but no one likes suddenly losing 40% of your return that won't be coming back.

I'd also guess CPU mining now loses you money so that probably dropped a few people out too.
even with the returns down 40%, it is still very much profitable. Hmm... 300%+ annual ROI via bitcoin mining vs 3% from money sitting in a bank account... Hell, in the 'real' world people jump for joy if they get anything above 10%! Would you call it a good investment if it took you 10 years to pay off your rig? But of course, we are just getting started, as profitable it may look today, it may not be so tomorrow.

CydeWeys

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 03, 2011, 06:57:37 PM

I'd also guess CPU mining now loses you money so that probably dropped a few people out too.
even with the returns down 40%, it is still very much profitable. Hmm... 300%+ annual ROI via bitcoin mining vs 3% from money sitting in a bank account... Hell, in the 'real' world people jump for joy if they get anything above 10%! Would you call it a good investment if it took you 10 years to pay off your rig? But of course, we are just getting started, as profitable it may look today, it may not be so tomorrow.
[/quote]

The two situations aren't comparable though.  Money in a bank account just sits there and collects interest.  Money put into a Bitcoin mining rig requires constant fussing with; you need to upgrade software as newer versions come along, keep the rig up and running through power failures, mining pool failures, potential hardware failures, and pay continual electricity bills.

Mining rigs have to pay themselves off in a manner of months.  The exponentially increasing difficulty level means that any rig will output most of its lifetime Bitcoins (>90%) within the first few months.  After that it's just peanuts.  So talking about it on a scale of ten years is meaningless.  Besides, there isn't a mining rig that exists today that will be worth running anything close to ten years from now.  New hardware will come along that is more efficient in terms of electricity used and will make anything we're running today not even profitable to run for mining within a few years.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: