Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 06:51:52 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [REQUEST] Developing Bootable Bitcoin-QT  (Read 5268 times)
jbis1

Activity: 50
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 17, 2014, 02:35:05 PM

Currently, what is the most secure Linux Distro to run BitcoinQT or Armory?
Is Linux-TAILS the best or something else better? But is it possible to install TAILS to an internal hard drive while still having persistence?
Is there another distro with TOR on by default, that you can install on a hard drive?

Or is there a newer custom Bitcoin Distro? Like LinuxCoin or Bitsafe, but they are old.
Sorry if this is redundant, it's hard to keep up with the latest custom Bitcoin Distros.

What do you want? Do you want to run the client thru Tor? Do you want a LiveCD or install to hard drive. It sounds like you want Tor and hard drive install, but LinuxCoin and Bitsafe appear to work differently.

Let me know your needs and I should be able to throw something together that is based on Debian.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
bitcoinbitcoin

Activity: 31

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 12:20:42 AM
Last edit: March 06, 2014, 03:51:14 AM by bitcoinbitcoin

Well, for an offline/online system i'm trying to decide between running 2 LiveUSBs vs 2 full dedicated laptops. Or one dedicated offline laptop, and one online LiveUSB (like TAILS).
Is running an wallet using a LiveUSB completely safe, or is it better to have a dedicated laptop for your wallet?

With the LiveUSB, you should remove the virus-infested Windows8 internal HDD, before you run it. And disable wifi in BIOS if you want offline.
Anything else you should do for security when booting to the LiveUSB? Some say remove the battery for 60 seconds?
jbis1

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 09:56:28 PM

It is not completely safe to run LiveUSB, just like it is not completely safe to run a dedicated computer. The manufacturer may have introduced a vulnerability into either the computer or USB drive at the hardware level. There are steps to take that will allow you to safely use with a LiveUSB or dedicated computer, assuming that the devices are not compromised on a hardware level.

This addresses the LiveUSB security issue. If you use a USB device with an integrated switch to disable write access you can be sure that the contents of the drive don't change. This is assuming the device never leaves your sight (since someone can just flip the switch and modify files on the drive) and assuming that you trust the drive manufacturer to correctly implement the write protect feature.

I would be careful where I got the USB device from. They have microcontrollers in them, which can be reprogrammed.

Of course, if you want persistence (wallet files, etc.) you need to disable the write protect or have one flash drive for the OS and another for the data.

Ultimately it is up to you to answer: Do you have enough bitcoin to justify (a) dedicated computer(s)? I personally feel a LiveCD is sufficient, with a flash drive for the (encrypted) wallet.dat.
bitcoinbitcoin

Activity: 31

View Profile
March 09, 2014, 01:04:19 AM

For your offline wallet on dedicated computer:
  Why does it help to be offline STARTING before installing Linux? I thought it only matters that it is offline forever-- STARTING right before the wallet is created.

But many guides recommend to install xubuntu offline with apt-offline, etc.. That is a PITA. Please explain the benefit. Smiley
  It's so much easier to install the OS and armory/electrum while online, THEN unplug the ethernet cable and superglue the port Smiley  Can you refer me to a complete guide?  So many are different/outdated.

Thanks again, sorry if redundant.
jbis1

View Profile
March 09, 2014, 10:37:53 PM

For your offline wallet on dedicated computer:
  Why does it help to be offline STARTING before installing Linux? I thought it only matters that it is offline forever-- STARTING right before the wallet is created.

But many guides recommend to install xubuntu offline with apt-offline, etc.. That is a PITA. Please explain the benefit. Smiley
  It's so much easier to install the OS and armory/electrum while online, THEN unplug the ethernet cable and superglue the port Smiley  Can you refer me to a complete guide?  So many are different/outdated.

Thanks again, sorry if redundant.

If you are replying to me, I don't think I ever said to be offline before installing Linux. Of course you need to get Linux from somewhere and that is probably the Internet. I agree that you should install the OS and wallet first, then disable the Internet.

I don't know of a complete guide. You want to first create the Linux LiveUSB. How you do that depends on whether you are currently running Linux or Windows. The following is a guide for if you are running Linux.

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/creating-an-ubuntu-live-usb-from-cd/#more-5191
rme (OP)

Activity: 756
Merit: 504

View Profile
July 19, 2014, 05:26:30 AM

up
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: