Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 08:20:38 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why is Bitcoin the predominant one among forks?  (Read 5947 times)
sicparvismagna

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 31, 2017, 01:44:20 AM

Well technically  speaking if you are the one who is let's  say using bitcoin the longest and one of the veterans here in bitcoin wouldn't  you think that you are the most trusted and reliable among users same goes bitcoin because its been around for a long period of time its why people have relied on it. It's  the most trusted among all.
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Snub

Activity: 812
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 31, 2017, 09:05:08 PM

The more people use same cryptocurrency - the safer it is.
So only when half of people that are using BTC now will ALL select one cryptocurrency - only then it can be better that BTC
The_Dark_Knight

Activity: 840
Merit: 502

View Profile
November 07, 2017, 01:34:51 AM

It is the community, and consequently the market, who decides which chain is "Bitcoin" and which is the most valuable. But the Segwit2x/btc1 supporters are arguing that the chain with the most hash rate is the real "Bitcoin".

But we will see on November. I believe Segwit2x will be Bitcoin's biggest ordeal.

what if 50/50? which one is BTC
This is why I do not like definitions that are up to interpretation, the original bitcoin is the one that was created by satoshi, even if that chain eventually dies that will still be the original bitcoin, even if another fork gains more support from the miners or the community that only makes it the most popular among that group and that does not give to it the status of the original bitcoin.
Jake052478

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

I will do wonder for YOU!!!

View Profile
November 07, 2017, 07:00:35 AM

Maybe because it is the pioneer of all cryptocurrency or let us just say, it has created the most goodwill or the name that imprinted into the minds of people.  So, just like other business that establishes its name, bitcoins have made a nice splash during its birth that people remembered its name until today.  So in doing business, building a name is very important.
Technologov2

Activity: 9
Merit: 1

View Profile
November 07, 2017, 11:31:36 AM

Same reason why MP3 is the most popular audio codec for music. It's the first to actually provide good-enough compressed audio and gain market share. (hint: the best codec is Opus Audio, but few people know about it. And it will require special software to play-back.)
BingoDog

Activity: 658
Merit: 505

View Profile
November 07, 2017, 02:44:13 PM

Maybe this will sound strange but bitcoin is actualy mainstream among the cryptocurrencies. And it's only one that is original, all other bitcoin connected coins are bad copies, I would say. That is why people use it, they trust it. And people use and trust the things that have some real value and they positive experience with. And the more users support it, the more valuable and trusted will become, so there are many reasons.

malaj
monoculture

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 07, 2017, 06:25:11 PM

Maybe this will sound strange but bitcoin is actualy mainstream among the cryptocurrencies. And it's only one that is original, all other bitcoin connected coins are bad copies, I would say. That is why people use it, they trust it. And people use and trust the things that have some real value and they positive experience with. And the more users support it, the more valuable and trusted will become, so there are many reasons.
By bad copies do you mean that they fail to do what Bitcoin originally set out to do, or do you mean that they don't offer enough unique features to stand out on their own? To answer the overall question it'd be interesting to look at what the competition has to offer and which cryptocurrencies have the potential to overtake Bitcoin in the possible future.
Erelas

Activity: 280
Merit: 102

View Profile WWW
November 08, 2017, 01:01:02 AM

Why is Bitcoin the predominant one among different forks, such as Bitcoin Cash, Bitcoin Gold, Bitcoin SegWit2X?

Is it because Bitcoin is the most original one? Does it have to do with its price? Or does it have to do with its broad, generic name? Or because it's more widely adopted by many companies? In other words, is there some sort of complicated blockchain technology that will always make the Bitcoin most predominant one among different forks regardless of any circumstances? Is it theoretically possible for forks like Bitcoin Cash, Bitcoin Gold, Bitcoin SegWit2X to be more predominant than Bitcoin in the future? I don't know much about blockchain technology and I wonder if it's ever related to the fact that Bitcoin's the most predominant one.

I think it's just semantics and what name eventually becomes the dominant one in use.  Your question could be interpreted in a few different ways.  BCH, etc. all originated from the original Bitcoin blockchain, so perhaps the simplest form is to differentiate all subsequent forks as being a different (derived from Bitcoin) name, and perhaps if one of those forks eventually became more favored in common use than the orginal, then the newer fork might eventually come to be called "Bitcoin".  If I had my personal preference though, all subsequent forks would be named differently, the way they are done now.  A newer fork supplanting Bitcoin, and then becoming known as Bitcoin would be too confusing.

DeepOnion    ▬▬  Anonymous and Untraceable  ▬▬    ENJOY YOUR PRIVACY  •  JOIN DEEPONION
▐▐▐▐▐▐▐▐   ANN  Whitepaper  Facebook  Twitter  Telegram  Discord    ▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌
Get $ONION  (✔Cryptopia  ✔KuCoin)  |  VoteCentral  Register NOW!  |  Download DeepOnion
howard.ashoul

Activity: 140
Merit: 101

View Profile WWW
November 08, 2017, 01:08:34 AM

Bitcoin is the original coin created by satoshi.
Other coins like BCH and others are just an act of creating clones of bitcoin by hard forking and claiming to be the original bitcoin.
But segwit 2x would definitely create some serious issues as it has majority miner support and it may replace the legacy bitcoin.If it does not has enough support,then another coin bitcoin segwit 2x would be created.
It has even support of more companies related to bitcoin.

How do you determine which one is original BTC and which one is clone? In case of BTC/BCH there were two identical blockchains. And even developers splitted to two different groups.

Only thing, that made it being "original BTC" was, that one blockchain contiuend under original BTC name, another one under new name. But they were identical. Same will go for a new hardfork.

My cryptocurrency portfolio: http://www.coinparator.com/. Track your coins rates for free, no registration!
Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
November 08, 2017, 11:38:20 PM

Why is Bitcoin the predominant one among different forks, such as Bitcoin Cash, Bitcoin Gold, Bitcoin SegWit2X?

Is it because Bitcoin is the most original one? Does it have to do with its price? Or does it have to do with its broad, generic name? Or because it's more widely adopted by many companies? In other words, is there some sort of complicated blockchain technology that will always make the Bitcoin most predominant one among different forks regardless of any circumstances? Is it theoretically possible for forks like Bitcoin Cash, Bitcoin Gold, Bitcoin SegWit2X to be more predominant than Bitcoin in the future? I don't know much about blockchain technology and I wonder if it's ever related to the fact that Bitcoin's the most predominant one.

It's nice to think of Bitcoin as the original, the thing created by Satoshi Nakamoto.

But over time we may see some splits to remain true to his original concepts.

Not saying that's good or bad, only that it could happen.
audaciousbeing

Activity: 1330
Merit: 569

View Profile
November 09, 2017, 06:54:11 AM

The main reason that I see is mainly because the believe people have in the core bitcoin is still strong as ever and even the stakeholders are the ones pushing for the continued dominance of the original bitcoin. For example on the forum here, anything other than BTC is pushed to the alt section that tells tells you the larger forum of crypto enthusiasts had already picked a side.

Going forward to the exchange sites, majority of them treat every other coin as an alt while its possible to change every other coin to btc, not every coin can change to the other forks. Another is the conversion to to fiat which is mostly predominantly on bitcoin compared to other forked coins.
llanaio

Activity: 58

View Profile
November 09, 2017, 08:16:24 AM
Last edit: November 09, 2017, 08:33:15 AM by llanaio

It is a matter of perception. We call the current BTC the "real bitcoin" because it has the longest PoW, it has the BTC ticker symbol, and the Bitcoin Core team endorses it. These are the key indicators. A 4th, less persuasive, indicator is being most "true" to the original bitcoin code or intentions of Satoshi Nakamoto. In most of the chain splits so far, one side of the chain received a clear majority of these indicators--typically the first 3. Proponents of the minority chain often claim their version is more true to the Bitcoin spirit. BCH may have a reasonable claim to this. Few are convinced.
Klausi

Activity: 536
Merit: 250

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
November 09, 2017, 10:53:42 AM

The main reason that I see is mainly because the believe people have in the core bitcoin is still strong as ever and even the stakeholders are the ones pushing for the continued dominance of the original bitcoin. For example on the forum here, anything other than BTC is pushed to the alt section that tells tells you the larger forum of crypto enthusiasts had already picked a side.

Going forward to the exchange sites, majority of them treat every other coin as an alt while its possible to change every other coin to btc, not every coin can change to the other forks. Another is the conversion to to fiat which is mostly predominantly on bitcoin compared to other forked coins.

Yes exactly that's how it is currently been happening right now with the forked coins. Most investors and quick traders really converts their btc to fiat cash after the good price really updated with the system. Like if we have to trade and eth contract coins, then a trader holds the eth they have will again trade to btc in order to earn fiat cash for daily living expenses. That's why fork nowadays doesn't seem to be visible to happen due to the blockchain devs now closely monitored all transactions to be out of any major congestion.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
CryptoTalk.org| 
MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!
🏆
Chachacoin17

Activity: 672
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 09, 2017, 11:00:42 AM

Yes exactly that's how it is currently been happening right now with the forked coins. Most investors and quick traders really converts their btc to fiat cash after the good price really updated with the system. Like if we have to trade and eth contract coins, then a trader holds the eth they have will again trade to btc in order to earn fiat cash for daily living expenses. That's why fork nowadays doesn't seem to be visible to happen due to the blockchain devs now closely monitored all transactions to be out of any major congestion.

What if those people choose to hold their bitcoin and don't bother to cash out their holding to fiat, would it improve the network? Would be the congestion lessen? In my own words here, the fork always happens when there's system error like power tripping and other hardware related concerns which downed the mining system. This scenario also contributes with the fork or the segwit2x, because those miners widens the flow of the network transactions to make easier and faster nodes processing.
LT_support0

Activity: 29

View Profile WWW
November 09, 2017, 11:20:01 AM

Bitcoin is a great implementation of blockchain. But they have been telling us that Bitcoin can't be under inflation because of no emission. So, you can see Bitcoin emissions as hard forks such us Bitcoin Cash and Bitcoin Gold. And these emissions are more bigger than fiat currency emissions, every fork makes volume twice bigger, it is geometry progress of volume. You are merely supported by other's belief/dream/misunderstanding.
intelligentdude

Activity: 103

View Profile
November 09, 2017, 12:44:09 PM

The reason is not far fetched,Bitcoin has stood the test of time and is now widely accepted by most merchants,hence the increase in it's volume notwithstanding some of it's weaknesses.

The blockchain way
JohnHero

Activity: 168

View Profile
November 09, 2017, 01:52:36 PM

The reason is not far fetched,Bitcoin has stood the test of time and is now widely accepted by most merchants,hence the increase in it's volume notwithstanding some of it's weaknesses.

I agree here, Bitcoin can't stand it. Those forks simply improve the way Bitcoin is working therefor I agree with it.
opebiyiope

Activity: 14

View Profile
November 09, 2017, 03:40:47 PM

Bitcoin is predominant because it has a future. It was built to defy all odds.
Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
November 09, 2017, 11:58:58 PM

Bitcoin is predominant because it has a future. It was built to defy all odds.

Forks have been speared with a fork, and looking at them, you know what?

They're done.
litma21

Activity: 11

View Profile
November 10, 2017, 07:12:22 AM

change comes slowly ,and people tend to stick to what they know and understand.in reality people are scared of change so until it gives reason beyond doubt ,most people will stay by what they know and has proven to meet their needs and wants.even though there might be a market monopoly out there i think it will be like this for as long as both parties (customers and service providers) are being satisfied .
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: