Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 02:34:55 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: ASIC Miner Block Erupter Blade problem  (Read 4513 times)
pc1407 (OP)

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 11:34:16 PM

HI,

I received my block erupter blade yesterday and I hooked it up and it hashes for about 2 minutes then restarts. The config page never shows a hash-rate but it is receiving work. I know it is hashing for those 2 minutes because I am getting shares on my pool. It does this in low or high clock and doesn't matter if I have 1, 2 or 3 fans hooked up cooling it. I never touched voltage on it but it may have been messed with before I received it(I guess I should pick up a multimeter today to check). Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. There doesn't seem to be too much documentation out there on how to troubleshoot one of these bad boys so I'm spinning my wheels waiting for the company I ordered it from to email me from china. The weird thing is it always reboots right about the 2 min 10 sec up time mark. I've tried 2 different power supply's and nothing changed.

Thanks,

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES I HA(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ TABLES I HATE TABLES I HATE TABLES
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
MRKLYE
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1003

Designer - Developer

View Profile WWW
June 21, 2013, 11:40:56 PM

Sounds to me like you have either a blown capacitor or it needs a firmware update... What miner/kernel you using on it?

▄▄███████████▄▄
▄████▀▀`````````▀▀████▄
███▀```````````````````▀███
███`````````````````````````███
██```````````██``██````````````██
██````````▄▄▄▄██▄▄██▄▄▄▄`````````██
██`````````▀██████████████▄````````██
██`````````````███`````▀████`````````██
▐█▌`````````````███`````▄███▀`````````▐█▌
▐█▌`````````````███████████▄``````````▐█▌
▐█▌`````````````███▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄````````▐█▌
▐█▌`````````````███```````████````````▐█▌
██`````````````███`````▄▄████````````██
██`````````▄██████████████▀````````██
██````````▀▀▀▀██▀▀██▀▀▀▀`````````██
██```````````██``██````````````██
███`````````````````````````███
███▄```````````````````▄███
▀████▄▄`````````▄▄████▀
▀▀███████████▀▀
FREE
BITCOINS.com

`````````▄
````````▄█▄
``````▄█████▄
`````█████████
```▄███████████▄
``███████████████
`█████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████████
██▌▀███████████████
`██``▀████████████
``██▄```▀████████
```▀███▄▄`█████▀
``````▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

FAUCET
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

``````````````````▄▄▄▄▄▄
``````````````````██████
``````````````````██████
``````````````````██████
``````````██████``██████
``````````██████``██████
``██████``██████``██████
``██████``██████``██████
``██████``██████``██████
``██████``██████``██████
``██████``██████``██████

██████████████████████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

XCHANGE
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

```````````▄
`````````▄██
```````▄████
`````▄██████████▄
`````▀███████████▄
```````▀████``▀████
█``````▄`▀██````▀██
██▄````██▄`▀``````█
████▄``████▄
`▀███████████▄
``▀██████████▀
```````████▀
```````██▀
```````▀

SWAP
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
pc1407 (OP)

View Profile
June 22, 2013, 01:45:41 AM

I don't know how to find out what firmware its using. The interface seems pretty basic. Is there another menu I can get to that shows more info?
JordanL
Donator

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 22, 2013, 01:48:06 AM

I don't know how to find out what firmware its using. The interface seems pretty basic. Is there another menu I can get to that shows more info?

No, that's all there is to it.

Sorry I can't help any further... my blades have been hashing so flawlessly at 13GH/s since the days that I got them that I feel like the Maytag repairman. Only problem I have is that I have to wait to get more!!!

Good luck solving it quickly.
movellan

Activity: 348
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 22, 2013, 03:41:52 AM

Don't go poking around you USB with a volt/ohm meter. Good way to fry it. What platform (Windoze, linix, pi, etc) and what software are you using? Need more info.
pc1407 (OP)

View Profile
June 22, 2013, 04:27:45 AM

Its a Blade not the USB Erupter so if you want to tune the clock it requires a meter. https://www.dropbox.com/s/jro9kmzxblrivra/instructions.JPG. Also, the blade uses its own config software since its standalone and doesn't require a computer. As a side note I checked the voltage and it does look like the company I got it from upped the voltage so I wonder if that is part of the issue. They sent 2 decent fans that were much bigger then the stock fans so and they say it can be clocked to 13gh so I'm not sure if that caused the issue.
pc1407 (OP)

View Profile
June 23, 2013, 04:09:28 AM

So this issue is resolved. It turns out since I didn't setup a stratum proxy it wasn't hashing properly and it would just restart because of it. Once I got one up and running the problem went away. Now its hashing at 12GH with no issues. Thanks for the help guys!  Grin
JordanL
Donator

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 23, 2013, 09:36:30 AM

Its a Blade not the USB Erupter so if you want to tune the clock it requires a meter. https://www.dropbox.com/s/jro9kmzxblrivra/instructions.JPG. Also, the blade uses its own config software since its standalone and doesn't require a computer. As a side note I checked the voltage and it does look like the company I got it from upped the voltage so I wonder if that is part of the issue. They sent 2 decent fans that were much bigger then the stock fans so and they say it can be clocked to 13gh so I'm not sure if that caused the issue.

What are the voltages? The blades are meant to be overclocked and hashing at 13gh/s, in fact the second batch of blades they sold were shipped that way.

Did you buy it somewhere other than directly from friedcat?
csa1234

Activity: 286

O2-Protocol.com Carbon Offset DeFi

View Profile WWW
September 19, 2013, 03:23:50 AM

Im having same problem, my Block Erupter Blade restart every 2 min 10 secs, stratum proxy is executed and connected to my PC on a LAN (not wifi) enviroment. PSU is more than enough and 12v rails have enough power.

Im not quite sure how to setup the stratum proxy and how to point on the block erupter config, can anybody guide me please?

Bellow is how i made the connection on the power connector, perhaps my cables are not well done

O2-Protocol.com
Carbon Offset DeFi
nahtnam
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

nahtnam.com

View Profile WWW
September 19, 2013, 04:14:56 AM

Don't know much, but just want to welcome you here and I hope your problem gets solved...

csa1234

Activity: 286

O2-Protocol.com Carbon Offset DeFi

View Profile WWW
September 19, 2013, 04:48:35 AM

Thanks

Don't know much, but just want to welcome you here and I hope your problem gets solved...

O2-Protocol.com
Carbon Offset DeFi
Bitarchist

Activity: 36

View Profile
November 27, 2013, 04:21:05 AM

Im having same problem, my Block Erupter Blade restart every 2 min 10 secs, stratum proxy is executed and connected to my PC on a LAN (not wifi) enviroment. PSU is more than enough and 12v rails have enough power.

Im not quite sure how to setup the stratum proxy and how to point on the block erupter config, can anybody guide me please?

Bellow is how i made the connection on the power connector, perhaps my cables are not well done

http://s21.postimg.org/569hxrr8m/2013_09_18_23_10_35.jpg

Did you ever find a solution to this problem?
The exact same thing is happening to me!
priyoy

Activity: 7

View Profile
December 03, 2013, 02:45:16 PM

HI,

I received my block erupter blade yesterday and I hooked it up and it hashes for about 2 minutes then restarts. The config page never shows a hash-rate but it is receiving work. I know it is hashing for those 2 minutes because I am getting shares on my pool. It does this in low or high clock and doesn't matter if I have 1, 2 or 3 fans hooked up cooling it. I never touched voltage on it but it may have been messed with before I received it(I guess I should pick up a multimeter today to check). Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. There doesn't seem to be too much documentation out there on how to troubleshoot one of these bad boys so I'm spinning my wheels waiting for the company I ordered it from to email me from china. The weird thing is it always reboots right about the 2 min 10 sec up time mark. I've tried 2 different power supply's and nothing changed.

Thanks,

Same problem here.. im also waiting for resolution on this thread.. because of newbie jail lol
hatelabs

Activity: 2

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 11:26:26 PM

SOLVED BITCHES!!!! well,.. mostly. I guess "FIXED BITCHES!!!!" would be more accurate....

I'd need feedback and some network engineers to "solve" it but I *think* this is the "FIX".
I posted this to reddit as a response to the same question and wanted to make sure I got it out here as well as this seems to be the single most annoying thing you can run into with these things.

Initially my blades too would do the bounce every 2min 3sec thing. As we all know now this is natural and it just means that the blade isn't getting work, has switched to the 2nd server STILL isn't getting work, and resets itself when the 2:30 timer runs out.

I setup proxy for slush's pool (via the instructions everyone under the sun posts as the fix for an issue that obviously isn't the proxy)

I would see the proxy Get requests from the blades, the blades would crush the work, then stop. (ie ramp up, then stop doing anything) If you look at the web dashboard you see everything ramp up to 2-6GH/s then start dropping immediately) If you change the port to 3333 you'll see the proxy server start bitching the second you save the config so,..between that and the proxy showing a burst of requests, you can see that the blade is talking to the proxy.

On the other side of the equation, the proxy screen will tell you if it's talking to the pool, if it's talking to the pool chances are it's OK.
The strange thing is that this would happen both at my workplace (nice fat 20M connection to the internet, free electric and a cooled data room) AND on my home ISP (DSL *yeah I live in the middle of a forest* 3M, nice box fan on it and paying for those KW/Hs)
Same results both places one insanely complex network, and one super simple network.

This of course made me worry about hardware but I have 5 blades and they were all acting identical.
I did have the HP power supply and the backplane, but I VOM'd it out and it was well within range, plus I could access the web dashboards on :8000 so everything *seemed* to be working to that point.
I'm pretty sure the problems with the blades are almost NEVER electric unless you really screw something up and don't follow the setup directions,.... (put the wires on backwards,..let your cat chew on the cords etc..)

So I set up my blades for bitminter's getwork. Normal config pool,pool 80,80 etc.. bypassing the proxy server entirely.
It worked *better* at this point, but using the two ports 80 and 8333, I could see that it was still pool bouncing. (80,80 you can't tell on the dashboard so it *looks* like it's mining ok but slow if you have two of the same port listed) This got all my blades running at 50% (Hey at least they were running!) so I put them all on 80,80 after that and started looking at other things while they eeked out a little coinage.
At this point I did a LOT of stupid shooting in the dark (different proxy programs, firewall rules etc...) all to no avail when I pointed back at the proxy.

What's happening:

The blade is requesting work, then it stops because of some interference (more about that later) and it either manages to restart when it switches pools, or it hits the 2:30 mark and resets again (usually the latter on proxy, the former on getwork)
The proxy server is fine and doing it's job,... "Here take all this work.... uh,.. do you want any more... Hello?,.. Hello? OH!,.. here's a ton more of work,.. (what took you so long?!)" but the blade isn't requesting world consistantly.

For some reason setting it up for getwork either resets less frequently, or picks up more reliably when it bounces between pools, not 100% sure on that but again just pool bouncing on getwork gave me about 5GH/s per blade. Plus this also proves to you that your stuff is capable of working, and that lets you start to believe you can make them work.  Grin

But stratum via proxy is so much faster/efficient!! There HAD to be a fix (despite what the internet might unhelpfully say) so we tried some "other stuff".

If you're running your proxy, you can see them work "kinda" if you hit the "Switch server" button twice in a row. It's like this forces the blade to do that burst request to the proxy w/out giving it time to hit the 2:30 mark.
(Actually had a mouse macro that was going to each config browser page and hitting this button twice every 20 seconds and it got me up to about 80-85%).
Yeah I know,... stupid solution, but it was getting us closer to the target!!!!
Still not good enough though, these things weren't cheap after all,. so we plowed on...

I had some free time on Thanksgiving Holiday so I sat down and created a new isolated network on my firewall, (sonicwall, setup a new interface and set it up like a DMZ) I setup the cards 100% identical to the way I had them on my LAN and my home system and BTCOOM!,..they came up and are between 10-12GH/s constant now.

So,.... What did I do on this config that made it different from my work LAN and my Home LAN?

First of all (based on some posts I had seen about cell phones, VOIP, stuff,.. I Made sure there were NO wireless devices on the new LAN. Not a WAP, not a laptop, not a router, not a phone NOTHING using wireless. LAN to WAN, 6 devices (5 blades one proxy, NO cross talk to other LANs)

(My work LAN has a ton of wifi stuff and my home router was a wired/wireless router.) So initially neither environment was free of wifi stuff.

Then I turned off ALL QoS (http://www.draytek.com/.upload/pdffiles/4f9250d3a31bffbc72250beffc568d63.pdf) and checking/filtrations options on the firewall. I allowed *everything* in and out w/no restrictions. *My thought being that any type of high speed/queuing/checking/filtering/virus scanning etc.. could potentially lead to stutters.* As this was on an isolated LAN I wasn't really worried about hacking for the hour or so I was testing, but I wouldn't suggest this option for the long haul.

After it was running smoothly I then looked to see what IP range and ports were being used to send/receive work on the proxy, excluded everything else and they're humming along perfectly now, and are secure once more.

Not sure WHY wireless is an issue, but in some cases it seems that "it just is". At some point I'm going to throw a blade on the home LAN and watch the stutters and see what's being reported but for now I think this is the fix for this issue.
I've talked to one other person who switched from a wireless router at home to a crappy wired router and his blade came up as well, turning off QoS added speed overall. I would love to hear back from anyone else who tries any/all of these steps and can tell us if they have similar success, or new issues.

The QoS/Filter type services I can understand, (you have to inspect and scan packets to know what to do with them and/or if they're all virused up so having that process inject some kind of lag/break/etc.. that an ASIC just might not like is believable, but not "just having wireless" doesn't seem like it should cause any issues. My understanding is that it's just going to report itself as a standard network device on the ethernet side so....I'm baffled. Maybe some hard core Networking guys could chime in on this one?

Spent about 5 days of my life testing/trying/shooting in the dark on this, but now I'm hitting as high as 18GH/s so if you're having this issue I REALLY HOPE THIS HELPS!!!!! Let us know if it does and/or if you go down some other path that gets you to the solution.

BTC 19h2PkTKsPcMxtwGspcpnQSEuVCefSBjmp
LTC LSTjG357aKAwJEMFzNUAm2RY4wyUyvKL59

mitymouse

Activity: 19

View Profile
December 11, 2013, 09:10:17 PM

Thanks hatelabs. I was having the same problem behind a Watchguard firewall with built in wifi. Moving the blade in front of the firewall fixed it for me. I owe you.
E-TARD

Activity: 32

View Profile WWW
March 31, 2014, 04:32:29 AM

@hatelabs  thanks for making that long post.

I'm having this reboot BS as well
here's link to a reply with my info https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=348382.msg3929430#msg3929430

Anyways after reading your long post, it got me thinking about some other post where this guy had 2 blades with the same BS we got. (here's where it gets odd) he had a samsung android phone & when it was on WiFi his Blade started rebooting & giving him shit.

I have a "HTC Incredible" & use it on WiFi, some days more so then others.
well it was my phone, as soon as I killed the WiFi on the phone the blade started working fine.

I don't run QoS or UPnP but I have my router firewall security turned up, as none of that is pissing off my blade

here's some food for thought, the "HTC Incredible" was on 802.11g & I have 3 laptops on the WiFi: 1 of them is 802.11n & the other 2 are 802.11n draft
& the blade is cool with them being on the LAN  Huh soo odd Huh
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: