Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 02:02:57 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ethereum Asus z270f Strix Can't see more then 2 gpu's (was 4, then 3 now 2)  (Read 370 times)
rewird (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 14, 2017, 09:28:05 AM

Good Afternoon Everyone, hoping someone has been through similar;

I've been mining Ethereum on the Asus z270f Strix with 4xGTX1070 for a little over 4 months, came back to the miner today and shifted the system to a new location, but now i can only see 2 GPU's in the bios. It was 3 after i re set it up, and now it's back to only 2 gpus showing up. The BIOS is the latest BIOS which was updated back in August.

The setup is:
Z270f ROG STRIX
8x2gb Ram
G4560 Penitum (Kabylake)
H1200 PSU
4x Asus GTX1070 hooked up through powered usb risers

I've tested each card, cable and risers and they all work. I've tried every configuration in the bios, and every pci-e port configuration.

Current Settings are:
-PEG primary display
-PCI Link speed Gen 1
-DMI Max speed Gen 1
-PCIX16_1 and X16_2 Gen 1
-PCIe Spread Spectrum Clocking Disabled
-Above 4g Enabled
-All USB ports turned off except 1
-HD AUDIO turned off etc

Really lost with this board..
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
MATHReX

Activity: 861
Merit: 281

View Profile
October 14, 2017, 09:46:13 AM

Try this:

Disconnect all the GPUs from your rig, shutdown the system, remove the CMOS battery and insert it after a minute or two -> This will reset all bios settings. Go to Bios without plugging any GPU using IGFX (Integrated Graphics) and set the bios settings as you did before (Don't enable 4G Decoding yet). Connect 1 GPU and boot to OS and see if everything is fine. Then proceed with 2nd GPU and so on. After all GPUs are detected, go on and enable 4G Decoding from BIOS.
rewird (OP)

View Profile
October 14, 2017, 10:27:55 PM

Thanks for that, i'll give it a crack =) anyother things to watch out for? i tried that video for the ASUS Prime A/AR setup and tried Gen 2 with no avail. Why would turning 4g Encoding on after the cards show up help (trying to understand)?

Most of the setups i've seen utilize pentiums - i5's thus have 16 pcie lanes all in similar configs, so not sure why i'm having issues haha
leonix007

Activity: 1008
Merit: 297

Grow with community

View Profile
October 14, 2017, 10:44:47 PM

Thanks for that, i'll give it a crack =) anyother things to watch out for?
Your connection between psu and Gpu, you may also check this out, ensure that it is properly powered up. did you check each pci-e by putting second card for all pci-e slot one by one.
i tried that video for the ASUS Prime A/AR setup and tried Gen 2 with no avail. Why would turning 4g Encoding on after the cards show up help (trying to understand)?

Sorry but I don't get what you mean, are the cards shows up after setting up into gen2? Try to set this in gen 1.

Good luck
rewird (OP)

View Profile
October 15, 2017, 12:45:15 AM

Yeah,

They all show up on each pci-e, all cards correctly powered and individual pcie psu cables connected, might try more power cables from the psu for each riser and see if that changes things.

Yeah in Gen 2 3 cards showed up, dropped to Gen 1 and they showed up, inserted the 4th card and it dropped too 2 GPU's
MATHReX

Activity: 861
Merit: 281

View Profile
October 15, 2017, 08:07:29 AM

Most of the setups i've seen utilize pentiums - i5's thus have 16 pcie lanes all in similar configs, so not sure why i'm having issues haha

Your CPU is not the problem in here.

Yeah,

They all show up on each pci-e, all cards correctly powered and individual pcie psu cables connected, might try more power cables from the psu for each riser and see if that changes things.

Yeah in Gen 2 3 cards showed up, dropped to Gen 1 and they showed up, inserted the 4th card and it dropped too 2 GPU's

Use Gen1, Gen1 seems to be the most stable state for data transfer. Turn on Gen1 and start inserting your GPUs one by one. As you said, the fourth GPU is a problem. So, swap the risers and try a new one or try different x1 slot.

Why would turning 4g Encoding on after the cards show up help (trying to understand)?

In default mode, our system can run up to 4 GPUs without any issues and the system can provide the resources to support them. As soon as we plug the fifth GPU, the extra resources are needed, so we need to enable 4G Decoding to avoid this error "This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code 12)". Moreover, it differs from system to system.
GUNGUN12

Activity: 392
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 15, 2017, 10:37:15 AM

Good Afternoon Everyone, hoping someone has been through similar;

I've been mining Ethereum on the Asus z270f Strix with 4xGTX1070 for a little over 4 months, came back to the miner today and shifted the system to a new location, but now i can only see 2 GPU's in the bios. It was 3 after i re set it up, and now it's back to only 2 gpus showing up. The BIOS is the latest BIOS which was updated back in August.

The setup is:
Z270f ROG STRIX
8x2gb Ram
G4560 Penitum (Kabylake)
H1200 PSU
4x Asus GTX1070 hooked up through powered usb risers

I've tested each card, cable and risers and they all work. I've tried every configuration in the bios, and every pci-e port configuration.

Current Settings are:
-PEG primary display
-PCI Link speed Gen 1
-DMI Max speed Gen 1
-PCIX16_1 and X16_2 Gen 1
-PCIe Spread Spectrum Clocking Disabled
-Above 4g Enabled
-All USB ports turned off except 1
-HD AUDIO turned off etc

Really lost with this board..
I just have not dared to look for ethereum via phone.
because there are risks on our phone. such as mining via phone. what we can even our phone is broken ...
rewird (OP)

View Profile
October 15, 2017, 11:25:44 PM

Your CPU is not the problem in here.

Yeah,

Use Gen1, Gen1 seems to be the most stable state for data transfer. Turn on Gen1 and start inserting your GPUs one by one. As you said, the fourth GPU is a problem. So, swap the risers and try a new one or try different x1 slot.

Why would turning 4g Encoding on after the cards show up help (trying to understand)?

In default mode, our system can run up to 4 GPUs without any issues and the system can provide the resources to support them. As soon as we plug the fifth GPU, the extra resources are needed, so we need to enable 4G Decoding to avoid this error "This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code 12)". Moreover, it differs from system to system.

Preferred method of slots to use? Currently i've been doing 2 (x16/8x1), then 5(x16/8x1), then 1, then 6.
rewird (OP)

View Profile
October 16, 2017, 01:29:09 AM

Well after days of this i finally worked it out!

It seems 1 specific card has to be in a specific slot (not sure why) but now i finally have 4 cards back!

Thanks for everyones help, now just have to get them all to show up in ubuntu again haha.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: