Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 01:20:39 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Restored Offline Wallet, Waching Only Wallet and Password Protected Paper Backup  (Read 384 times)
adh (OP)

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 12, 2017, 09:49:53 PM

I created a paper backup for my offline Armory wallet. Then, I created a watching only wallet for the offline wallet and loaded the watching only wallet onto a computer connected to the Internet. Next, I deleted the offline wallet completely and restored it from the paper backup.

Question 1: Do I need to create a new watching only wallet or will the existing one work just fine with the restored offline wallet?

Question 2: If my paper backup gets stolen, can the thief use the paper backup to steal my bitcoins? If yes, if there any way to add another password on top of the paper backup in case the paper backup gets stolen? I would want the password to be something that I can remember without writing it down anywhere.

Thanks for you help in advance.

Best regards,
Allan

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
unamis76
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1005

View Profile
October 15, 2017, 12:38:02 AM

The watching only wallet will always correspond to the offline wallet you created it from.

If it is a single backup, yes. You can have a SecurePrint code and store it separately, it would achieve what you're looking for (I don't think setting a password on top of the backup is possible)
gangtraet

Activity: 159
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 15, 2017, 02:39:25 PM

The watching only wallet will always correspond to the offline wallet you created it from.
And since restoring from paper generates the same wallet, it will still work.

Be careful about putting a password on the paper backup.  One of the main uses (perhaps the main use) of the paper backup is to recover from a forgotten password, so if your backup is password protected, you are lost.  Unfortunately, one can no longer assume that the burglar is ignorant about bitcoin, so consider generating a 2-of-3 paper backup (any one backup stolen is useless to the thief, but if you lose one backup, the remaining two are enough to recover your wallet).
adh (OP)

View Profile
October 16, 2017, 06:31:46 AM

If it is a single backup, yes. You can have a SecurePrint code and store it separately, it would achieve what you're looking for (I don't think setting a password on top of the backup is possible)

Okay, thank you for the help.
adh (OP)

View Profile
October 16, 2017, 08:50:46 PM

And since restoring from paper generates the same wallet, it will still work.

Be careful about putting a password on the paper backup.  One of the main uses (perhaps the main use) of the paper backup is to recover from a forgotten password, so if your backup is password protected, you are lost.  Unfortunately, one can no longer assume that the burglar is ignorant about bitcoin, so consider generating a 2-of-3 paper backup (any one backup stolen is useless to the thief, but if you lose one backup, the remaining two are enough to recover your wallet).

Thank you for the help. I really appreciate it.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: