Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 10:48:54 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Greg Maxwell left Blockstream to focus on Bitcoin  (Read 63 times)
cellard (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1250

View Profile
January 29, 2018, 06:19:40 PM
Merited by vaughn125 (1)

Is this good or bad for Bitcoin?

I think gmaxwell has gotten an unfair amount of hate by being part of Blockstream, but in my opinion this is a great move. We need the best minds to focus on Bitcoin protocol development to make it stronger and more robust, second layer development is secondary.

We want a Bitcoin that's ready to go to war against the biggest powers in the world, and this means a robust as hell software, more privacy and fungibility, more decentralization. I think gmaxwell's experience through they years in Bitcoin development will be better served in protocol tasks.

Here is the official statement:

https://lists.linuxfoundation.org/pipermail/bitcoin-dev/2018-January/015586.html

There is a conspiracy that says he broke an NDA and was kicked out.. who knows. In any case, I think he is better off doing protocol work. We can afford Blockstream blowing up, but we cannot afford Bitcoin blowing up, so we need the best in there.

This is from a week ago but didn't see a thread on it. I would like to see what people think on this.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
vaughn125

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 29, 2018, 07:51:41 PM

Is this good or bad for Bitcoin?

I think gmaxwell has gotten an unfair amount of hate by being part of Blockstream, but in my opinion this is a great move. We need the best minds to focus on Bitcoin protocol development to make it stronger and more robust, second layer development is secondary.

We want a Bitcoin that's ready to go to war against the biggest powers in the world, and this means a robust as hell software, more privacy and fungibility, more decentralization. I think gmaxwell's experience through they years in Bitcoin development will be better served in protocol tasks.

Here is the official statement:

https://lists.linuxfoundation.org/pipermail/bitcoin-dev/2018-January/015586.html

There is a conspiracy that says he broke an NDA and was kicked out.. who knows. In any case, I think he is better off doing protocol work. We can afford Blockstream blowing up, but we cannot afford Bitcoin blowing up, so we need the best in there.

This is from a week ago but didn't see a thread on it. I would like to see what people think on this.

well it's about damn time! lol. i really do not care much as to whether those conspiracies about his actions being the reason as to why he finally left the blockstream. and ireally could not care any less to whatever he has already done in the past good or bad that clearly is impossible to change except for his great achievements and the number of things that he can actually be able to contribute to bitcoin. as long as he can do things that can better bitcoin than what it currently is right now, there isn't really anything bad that i can see. heck, i would even support him all the way.

but hey, this is just me though, wonder what others also think about this news. it would be really nice to read a lot of great opinions about this.
(by the way, thanks for sharing this info here man. you deserve a merit so imma give you one. good day.)
Welsh
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3262
Merit: 4110

View Profile
January 30, 2018, 02:01:17 AM

The criticism that he's received over the whole Blockstream probably had a big impact on him leaving which is a shame that it's had an impact like this. It's probably the best thing he could of done, of course he'll likely be accused of even more things and the conspiracy theorists will run riot, but at the end of the day this will likely be of great benefit for the Bitcoin community overall.

Greg Maxwell has always been one of the stand out contributers and it's good that he'll be solely focusing on improved propagation and signature aggregation etc.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: