Bitcoin Forum
May 01, 2024, 03:49:51 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What kind of rig should I get if no electricity cost?  (Read 1171 times)
cheesylard (OP)

Activity: 104
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2013, 03:39:57 PM

Hey, so I found this (expensive) place to live that has a fixed-cost electricity. I initially didn't want to live there because of the price, but since the utilities are fixed-cost, I'm kind of considering it now.

I was wondering if anyone else has done this and I was wondering what the best kind of rig you could build for the cheapest to get the most amount of coins. I was hoping to net around $200/mo (with the cost of the rig taken into account) from this to offset the expensiveness of the apartment.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
June 06, 2013, 04:57:53 PM

Hey, so I found this (expensive) place to live that has a fixed-cost electricity. I initially didn't want to live there because of the price, but since the utilities are fixed-cost, I'm kind of considering it now.

I was wondering if anyone else has done this

Back when GPUs were used and margins were thin, (e.g., around Dec. 2011, and then again Dec. 2012 right after "halving") the only ones making money were those who paid the least for electricity.

ASICs are soooooo  much more efficient on power and so few in production yet that the cost of electricity is a tiny fraction of the ownership cost.  For example, today the cost of electricity for a BFL Jalapeno (ASIC) running a full day is about twelve cents.   That does 5.5 Ghash/s, and earns at the current difficulty about $20 worth of coins (at the current exchange rate).    So the cost of electricity is less than 1% of the revenue generated from that electricity.     A person with free electricity mining using an ASIC has relatively no advantage over a person paying a high rate for electricity.  

If you are thinking "free" electricity gives justification for buying GPU-based hardware, think again.  ASICs are shipping hard and fast (as charted here: http://bitcoin.sipa.be/speed-lin-ever.png ), and the last of the GPU's days (for mining Bitcoins) are nearly over.  It could be less than a month or two that even those with free electricity will shut down their GPU rigs (or switch them over to an alt currency that GPUs are still useful on).  

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

greaterninja

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 06, 2013, 09:28:45 PM

The fastest ROI on GPU is ~80-90 days at today ROI...thats assuming you have the power and slots to run a PCI-E Radeon card.

7870XT or 7870 Myst cards for ~$200-$240 usd will have the fastest ROI if you get them to hash ~500-530mh/second (bitcoin mining).

7950 is a good choice too.

I would go with Sapphire or MSI if GPU mining.
svetlim

Activity: 56
Merit: 3

View Profile
June 06, 2013, 09:42:02 PM

4x7970 + MB + CPU get 800W

i hope with this you can cal. total.

MB - cheap asrock ~ $47
CPU - intel ~ $60
RAM - 2GB ~ $15
Smiley
alchimista

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

ars longa, vita brevis

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 11:16:29 PM

4x7970 + MB + CPU get 800W

Let's say OCd 1k, maybe 1.25k psu.

"Ab tam tenui initio tantae opes sunt profligatae"
Vendo Bitcoin a mano a Pisa \ Firenze .:. Compro e Vendo Bitcoin postepay|sepa
flavius

welcome to riches

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 11:21:32 PM

I don't understand if you can make $20 per day from a simple machine what is stopping someone from buying tons of them and making 494949$ per day?

crime generates tenfold more money then real businesses do in bitcoin. the fact you cant accept this just makes you a kike

A reply of yours, quoted below, was deleted by the starter of a self-moderated topic. There are no rules of self-moderation, so this deletion cannot be appealed. Do not continue posting in this topic if the topic-starter has requested that you leave.

You can create a new topic if you are unsatisfied with this one. If the topic-starter is scamming, post about it in Scam Accusations.
01BTC10
VIP

Activity: 756
Merit: 503

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 11:23:10 PM

I don't understand if you can make $20 per day from a simple machine what is stopping someone from buying tons of them and making 494949$ per day?
Maybe this?

flavius

welcome to riches

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 11:25:12 PM

and that means? sorry I am 11

crime generates tenfold more money then real businesses do in bitcoin. the fact you cant accept this just makes you a kike

A reply of yours, quoted below, was deleted by the starter of a self-moderated topic. There are no rules of self-moderation, so this deletion cannot be appealed. Do not continue posting in this topic if the topic-starter has requested that you leave.

You can create a new topic if you are unsatisfied with this one. If the topic-starter is scamming, post about it in Scam Accusations.
MashRinx

Activity: 389
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 01:26:58 AM

and that means? sorry I am 11

I'm going to assume you are serious, or at least somewhat serious. 

That graph means that the difficulty of mining coins continues to rise at a VERY fast rate.  The higher difficulty rises, the same hardware mines fewer coins over time.  For example, the last difficulty adjustment (which happens about every two weeks) was 28%, so the same hardware is mining 1/4 LESS coins than what you were able to mine with that same hardware less than two weeks before.  With this ASIC hardware (that is expensive and in very limited in availability) continuing to come online, difficulty will continue ot rise and probably at an ever-increasing rate.

Soon, GPU miners will find it difficult to be profitable, similar to what happened to CPU mining after the first GPU miners were written.

Good luck.
flavius

welcome to riches

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 01:42:48 AM

yes that is common sense. however that doesn't mean 2 machines doesn't mine double the coins 1 does (or close to it)

GenTarkin
Legendary

Activity: 2450
Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 01:58:29 AM

yes that is common sense. however that doesn't mean 2 machines doesn't mine double the coins 1 does (or close to it)
True 1 -> 2 machines is a substantial increase...
But as you get more and more machines, adding one additional shrinks that additional machines income proportionally
Imagine if you had a farm of 10 machines, adding one more is only a 10% increase
If you wanted the same ratio as going from 1 -> 2 ... it would be 10 more machines to the 10 that already exist.

GenTarkin's MOD Kncminer Titan custom firmware! v1.0.4! -- !!NO LONGER AVAILABLE!!
Donations: bitcoin- 1Px71mWNQNKW19xuARqrmnbcem1dXqJ3At || litecoin- LYXrLis3ik6TRn8tdvzAyJ264DRvwYVeEw
flavius

welcome to riches

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 02:17:40 AM

and that is fine...? still making tons of extra money

GenTarkin
Legendary

Activity: 2450

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 02:32:15 AM

Ok, I see what your saying, w/ unlimited power - yeah you could purchase enough hardware for a 100GH GPU farm and be quite profitable for a while. Yeah you can, but expect it to become ur fulltime job for maintenance on the entire farm. You would have to find a place that could take that power draw - standard house wont really do for a massive farm.
Just plug the numbers into a calculator like http://www.coinish.com/calc/#
Which calculate based on a predicted diff increase curve. You can see the hopeful potential profit you can make.
Expect it to take quite sometime to get ROI on the initial investment
Figure you can sell all the parts for about 50-60% of what you bought them for, given they all still work fine =)

I just ran some quick #'s... if 100GH in 7970's cost about 50k USD - and diff & price stayed the same, you would barely / never make ROI, even after selling stuff for 60% initial cost.
Now, you would make ROI if u hoarded the mined coins and hoped they went to insane value someday =)

GenTarkin's MOD Kncminer Titan custom firmware! v1.0.4! -- !!NO LONGER AVAILABLE!!
Donations: bitcoin- 1Px71mWNQNKW19xuARqrmnbcem1dXqJ3At || litecoin- LYXrLis3ik6TRn8tdvzAyJ264DRvwYVeEw
nwoolls

Activity: 840

View Profile WWW
June 08, 2013, 03:26:26 AM

It's not "extra" money until you cover the initial money paid for the machines. Your question involved buying a ton of machines.

Now factor in the difficulty that was explained to you above. Imagine you get $20 today. And then half of that tomorrow: $10. Then half that: $5. And on and on. You will eventually get to numbers so small that they will never add up to the initial cost of the investment.

Now my half-per-day was just an example for simplicity sake, but if you punch numbers into some of the calculators around here it isn't far off (if the difficulty is exponential).

MultiMiner: Any Miner, Any Where, on Any Device |  Xgminer: Mine with popular miners on Mac OS X
btc: 1BmXY4ZZQh1iHSVre658gM1gPAEtDnq8rv  |  ltc: LP1SsHZTDexndkvRKsqAkXNsienPHwaMb5  |  hardware: nwoolls at gmail dot com
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 07:50:58 AM

also, you should consider the initial investment, gpu aren't free
Soros Shorts
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1616
Merit: 1003

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 11:22:33 PM

It is also easy to start tripping the breakers in a regular home when you start spending upwards of $10K on GPUs.

How many amps of free electricity can you practically get anyway?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: