Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 10:23:50 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: GPU noise (not fan) when mining x17 w/ Nemosminer (Windows)  (Read 116 times)
geekcryptogal (OP)

Activity: 56
Merit: 2

View Profile
January 14, 2018, 01:52:28 AM

It's itneresting, when Nemosminer changes algorithms to x17 one or more of my GPU make this sound which I thought was the fan, but isn't.. sort of a subtle "worn out fan bearing" sound.  It starts immediately when the miner starts up for x17.  (I've stopped every fan and it's not coming from the fans, but sounds so much like bad fan bearings.)

Any ideas what this is, and if there are any settings I can make to avoid it?

Thanks.
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Celsiuss

Activity: 266
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 14, 2018, 02:02:44 AM

Are you sure it's not from your fans? The only thing that can make noise is fans, and a spinning hard drive (electrical noise is a thing, but it is very low and you shouldn't notice it). Maybe it's the CPU fan?

who cares
halker2010

Activity: 532
Merit: 250

The harder your life is the more meaning it has.

View Profile
January 14, 2018, 02:35:14 AM

It's itneresting, when Nemosminer changes algorithms to x17 one or more of my GPU make this sound which I thought was the fan, but isn't.. sort of a subtle "worn out fan bearing" sound.  It starts immediately when the miner starts up for x17.  (I've stopped every fan and it's not coming from the fans, but sounds so much like bad fan bearings.)

Any ideas what this is, and if there are any settings I can make to avoid it?

Thanks.
alright can you record the noise what kinda of noise is it ? because if you hear it you can assume what it can be it is always the same or its some kind of electric noise maybe your motherboard's mini speaker has issue or some kinda of virus causes it to make weird noises and lastly if its infarct the gpu try opening it up and check for any thing in heatsink and other parts that can be making that noise.
if it still has warranty try customer support or get a replacement because well a gpu should not make weird noises.
dlezama

Activity: 140
Merit: 17

View Profile
January 14, 2018, 02:48:21 AM

Coil Whine
geekcryptogal (OP)

Activity: 56
Merit: 2

View Profile
January 14, 2018, 03:54:28 AM

Yeah that must be it, the coil whine.  I know sure it isn't any fans because I stoped each of them with my hand and listened, including CPU fan and power supply fan.

When I stop x17 or sib algorithm miner the noise immediately stops.  I start other algorithms and none of that noise.  It's only with x17 and sib.. sib makes a slightly different sound and a bit louder than x17.
dude215p

Activity: 18
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 24, 2018, 08:38:23 PM

yeah, it's coil whine, I have it on my 1070s as well, only when running x17. But it mostly comes out of the speakers, if I turn off the speakers it can still be heard but it's much more silent. There's some sort of interference with the on board sound card. You can try turning off the speakers/amp and see if it's better that way if it bothers you.
X17 algorithm does a very wierd oscillation of the card's power limit, and you can even hear the sound change as you go through different power limits (slower to faster as you increase it)
So that oscillation in power limit might cause the chokes on the card to vibrate so you get coil whine. I was also thinking that x17 algorithm might be further optimized in the future, and then the sound might stop.
tadeus1

Activity: 140
Merit: 11

View Profile
January 24, 2018, 09:16:59 PM

Yes - Coils. Happens on Nvidias usually.
Its usually with coins/miner software where there is large fluctuation of electricity up and down. when I look at my UPS stats - exmaple - goes from 450W to 650 for second, etc. Sometimes drops to 300+, sometimes for 700.    Don't know whether its the algo or the miner software that is so not efficient.
I get this on zcoin and used to have it on signatum with some of the crappy miners back in Aug. Never tried X17 but I can bet its the same thing.
If you get very near to the GPU, like almost touch it with your ear you can get the noise clearly.  The funny part is the PSU could also eventually get this if its abused and not of solid quality.

To avoid all that, switch algo Smiley  Whether its harmful for extended periods - I don't know. Never tried more than few days.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: