Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 05:09:46 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: As Ripple is not Bitcoin, discussion about it should be moved to the Alt-Coin Subforum.
Agree
Disagree

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [POLL] Ripple topics should be moved to the Alt-Coin subforum  (Read 1135 times)
crazy_rabbit (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
June 02, 2013, 09:27:44 PM

It's not Bitcoin, it's an alt-coin so thus should be moved there in my opinion. The Bitcoin discussion page doesn't give any space to other alt-coin and Ripple should be no different. We're just advertising it by letting is hang out up here.  

more or less retired.
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
June 02, 2013, 09:29:15 PM

This thread should be in Meta.
mmeijeri

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

Martijn Meijering

View Profile
June 02, 2013, 09:31:09 PM

Discussion of XRP could move to the alt-coin section, but discussion of Ripple as a distributed exchange should stay right here. The lack of distributed exchanges is one of Bitcoin's biggest problems and deserves a lot of attention.

ROI is not a verb, the term you're looking for is 'to break even'.
cdog

Activity: 1036

View Profile
June 02, 2013, 10:02:25 PM

Agreed get it out of here.

Ripple is NOT a distributed exchange by a long shot. It presents some good ideas but as implemented currently by OpenCoin, its worthless.
johnblaze

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 02, 2013, 10:11:26 PM

+1
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4485

View Profile
June 02, 2013, 10:23:07 PM

It's not Bitcoin, it's an alt-coin so thus should be moved there in my opinion. The Bitcoin discussion page doesn't give any space to other alt-coin and Ripple should be no different. We're just advertising it by letting is hang out up here.  

ripple is not a alt-coin.. ripple is an exchange, so technically would be in the services section

XRP is not a crypto coin, it has no minable blockchain, much like amazon coin, postal stamps, facebook credits

Discussion of XRP could move to the alt-coin section, but discussion of Ripple as a distributed exchange should stay right here. The lack of distributed exchanges is one of Bitcoin's biggest problems and deserves a lot of attention.

+100

if only more of us realised the main use of ripple is to move bitcoins, litecoins, fiat between people. and the fee for this task is a postage stamp known as XRP.

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
pekv2

Activity: 770
Merit: 502

View Profile
June 02, 2013, 10:41:18 PM

Do what ckolivas did.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=201748.0

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=200865.0

Go find them all and report them Smiley.

mprep
Global Moderator
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 2610

In a world of peaches, don't ask for apple sauce

View Profile WWW
June 03, 2013, 02:51:25 PM

+1. Those people have no business in the main forums.

BeeCoin

Activity: 308

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 02:56:23 PM

+1
Ripple Network=ok / XRP -> subforum
mmeijeri

Martijn Meijering

View Profile
June 03, 2013, 05:37:53 PM

On reflection, it seems to me that discussion of Ripple as a distributed exchange for BTC is most appropriate in the Economy > Marketplace > Currency exchange section, while discussion of XRP should go to the alt-coin section.

BeeCoin

View Profile
June 04, 2013, 12:09:11 PM

Sounds reasonable.
mmeijeri

Martijn Meijering

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 12:19:42 PM

On further reflection, Ripple is actually composed of three systems, not two:

• an alternative currency (XRP)
  • a fiat IOU payment system
  • a distributed exchange

I'm mainly interested in the fiat IOU payment system in order to use the distributed exchange functionality, and therefore I treated them as one, but it is of course possible to use just the payment functionality without ever using the exchange functionality. The payment system used alone could be seen as a rival to Bitcoin. Consequently, only the distributed exchange belongs in the Economy > Marketplace > Currency exchange section, while discussion of XRP and the fiat IOU payment system should go to the alt-coin section.

BeeCoin

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 02:02:59 PM

On further reflection, Ripple is actually composed of three systems, not two:
  • an alternative currency (XRP)
  • a fiat IOU payment system
  • a distributed exchange
Well, I'd say IOU payment + distributed exchange are directly linked with each other...
mmeijeri

Martijn Meijering

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 02:10:45 PM

They are, but it's possible to be interested in the fiat payment system without the exchange functionality. It's true that the fiat system will silently make use of the exchange system if that leads to the cheapest path, but it doesn't need it. The exchange system does need the fiat system.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: