Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 06:31:50 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Nexus phone death and buying stuff F2F  (Read 738 times)
KeyserSoze (OP)

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 04:09:30 AM

I was looking into getting a Nexus 4 to run Bitcoin Wallet. I found that there seems to be an issue with the phone where even new phones can simply die outright, which was disappointing as I was hoping to try a phone experience other than iPhone solely for bitcoin-related reasons.
http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/mobile/eREo__Lhuwg[1-25-false]

It made me wonder about anyone who might have transferred some bitcoins to his phone only to have it die and need to be reformatted/returned, yadda. The point here isn't to slam Nexus -- there are other phones and any of them could die.

I suppose I'm wondering about other people's experiences with buying stuff offline with bitcoins face to face. I assume even on iPhone I could get to an online wallet via Safari but I'm wondering how cumbersome it'll be to have to deal with passwords in that scenario.

I used to day trade Bitcoin successfully. Then I took an arrow to the knee.
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ThomasX

Activity: 20
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 04:24:09 AM

The best android wallet app has built-in easy backup system which also encrypts your backup file with a password onto a memory-card.

As long as you make sure to use that backup feature often and keep several copies of the backup-file on several disks/CDs etc it won't matter if your phone dies.

Just make sure you make a new backup every time you create a new receive/secret key in the wallet app and you should be as safe as it can be. And don't rely on just keeping ONE copy on ONE disk. Be sure to spread it onto several USB sticks/disks and maybe even burn a CD backup to ensure you are secure from major disasters.

Much better than using any online wallet I would say.
Singlebyte

Activity: 854
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 06:01:58 AM
Last edit: June 08, 2013, 06:19:49 AM by Singlebyte

I was looking into getting a Nexus 4 to run Bitcoin Wallet. I found that there seems to be an issue with the phone where even new phones can simply die outright, which was disappointing as I was hoping to try a phone experience other than iPhone solely for bitcoin-related reasons.
http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/mobile/eREo__Lhuwg[1-25-false]

It made me wonder about anyone who might have transferred some bitcoins to his phone only to have it die and need to be reformatted/returned, yadda. The point here isn't to slam Nexus -- there are other phones and any of them could die.

I suppose I'm wondering about other people's experiences with buying stuff offline with bitcoins face to face. I assume even on iPhone I could get to an online wallet via Safari but I'm wondering how cumbersome it'll be to have to deal with passwords in that scenario.

No idea what issue you are talking about with Nexus 4???  I have a nexus 4 rooted (running xylon and franco kernel) and it is a stellar phone.  I can match it pretty much against any phone (even s4).  I also have bitcoin apps & widgets installed.  Haven't installed a wallet on it, but would have no hesitation.  Not sure where you are getting your info.  XDA forums have excellent resources to help you with your potential Nexus or any other phone.

Edit...was able to get the broken link you posted working.  Most of the people on the google forum didn't know what they were talking about.  Holding down power key for 10sec will give you a full reset.  Some also were upgrading to new 4.2.2 OS.  Regardless, I am sure if you got a defective unit google would replace it.  Also make sure you always do a backup regardless of what device you have.  I use titanium backup pro.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: