Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 07:56:48 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Feeler Thread: Which Rare Coins Would Interest You (If Any)?  (Read 827 times)
johnniewalker (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 22, 2013, 09:54:29 AM

Hey everybody,
I want to turn some of my numismatic coins into silver bullion. I have QUITE a collection. I have:

Ancient Roman Silver Denarii (circa BC-about 275 AD)
Lots of old foreign (MANY countries) silver coins
Former Dictator, USSR, North Korea, Communist, etc. silver and non-silver
Several Latin American (including Cuba) silver and non silver
Very extensive Mexican collection silver and non silver
Most extensive US collection silver and non-silver

If you guys could reply to this post with one (or two) of which listing(s) above you'd be interested in, I'd really appreciate it.

Also, expect more rare coin listings from me. They will be single coin posts. But I'll also put together packages based on country, time period, etc. Some of these packages will be random, but if you want a special pack,

LET ME KNOW EXACTLY WHAT YOU WANT

The people and coin shop I know have almost EVERYTHING. So, ask for whatever you want and I'll take care of it for you.

Thanks!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
danieldaniel

Activity: 854

View Profile
August 22, 2013, 01:09:06 PM

Not sure how this works, but are these graded (and enclosed)?

Also, I would be interested in the silver US collection.  I have 4OZ of silver on hand right now... What could I get for that?

Jenger

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 22, 2013, 02:26:29 PM

Out of all of those, I am only into the older US collection.

However, I am pretty picky and always looking for a deal or atleast what I feel is a deal, therefor I havn't really bought any coins with bitcoins yet.

johnniewalker (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 22, 2013, 11:21:56 PM

My graded/slabbed coins I'm going to keep. But I have plenty of old US Silver. I'm talking rare coins-worth more in collectible value than bullion value.
peonminer

Activity: 798
Merit: 531

Crypto is King.

View Profile
August 27, 2013, 11:46:28 PM

My graded/slabbed coins I'm going to keep. But I have plenty of old US Silver. I'm talking rare coins-worth more in collectible value than bullion value.
Can you PM me a list ^^? Any CC or Key Dates Smiley All US please.
TTBit
Legendary

Activity: 1136
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 28, 2013, 02:24:37 AM

Hey everybody,
I want to turn some of my numismatic coins into silver bullion. I have QUITE a collection. I have:

Ancient Roman Silver Denarii (circa BC-about 275 AD)
Lots of old foreign (MANY countries) silver coins
Former Dictator, USSR, North Korea, Communist, etc. silver and non-silver
Several Latin American (including Cuba) silver and non silver
Very extensive Mexican collection silver and non silver
Most extensive US collection silver and non-silver

If you guys could reply to this post with one (or two) of which listing(s) above you'd be interested in, I'd really appreciate it.

Also, expect more rare coin listings from me. They will be single coin posts. But I'll also put together packages based on country, time period, etc. Some of these packages will be random, but if you want a special pack,

LET ME KNOW EXACTLY WHAT YOU WANT

The people and coin shop I know have almost EVERYTHING. So, ask for whatever you want and I'll take care of it for you.

Thanks!

Gold British Sovereigns
Pre-33 gold

Nothing slabbed, I have to touch my stuff.

You can drive a truck through most bid/ask spreads on pre-33 US gold. Sellers love saying how its rare, and offer double eagles for $1500. But when pressed for a bid however, its usually ~$1350.

good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment
OleOle

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

Are you like these guys?

View Profile
September 13, 2013, 12:43:15 PM

I'd be interested in the Roman Silver Denarii. From what I can tell the silver content is quite low, but I'd be curious nonetheless.

I'd imagine authenticity with these coins would be problematic. I tried to date 13th century coins from Ceylon once and even the experts couldn't agree. Add another thousand years in age for the Roman coins and there's no doubt that it's a highly subjective area. Still, all the problems aside, I'd still be interested to see what you were offering and the BTC prices you'd offer them at.

Nice thread, hope it hasn't ended before it really gets going.

johnniewalker (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 14, 2013, 01:13:09 AM

I'd be interested in the Roman Silver Denarii. From what I can tell the silver content is quite low, but I'd be curious nonetheless.

I'd imagine authenticity with these coins would be problematic. I tried to date 13th century coins from Ceylon once and even the experts couldn't agree. Add another thousand years in age for the Roman coins and there's no doubt that it's a highly subjective area. Still, all the problems aside, I'd still be interested to see what you were offering and the BTC prices you'd offer them at.

Nice thread, hope it hasn't ended before it really gets going.
I work at a coin shop, what I buy comes from there. As far as Denarii go, they are actually very well catalogued, and I have never seen/heard of a fake (it would be very difficult to counterfeit a coin thousands of years old-artificial aging of about 100 years is already really tough). I'll remember you are interested, and if any become part of our inventory I'll ask you how you feel about it. Any preferences in mind?
OleOle

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

Are you like these guys?

View Profile
September 14, 2013, 05:17:31 AM

Thanks johnniewalker, I'm no expert on Roman history so I probably couldn't choose one era over another, not as far as coins go anyway.

My preference is probably for coins struck before Christ although I'm fairly open-minded on that. I suppose I'm looking for coins that have both intrinsic and historical value, are well made, can be clearly dated and/or authenticated with perhaps an interesting history of their own (maybe a short-lived or little known Emperor, etc).

Going back in time a little further, I'd also be interested in coins struck for the Greek/Ptolemaic period of Egypt after the conquest by Alexander the Great in 332BC as they might have both Greek and Egyptian iconography on them and perhaps be minted in Alexandria.

I'd be surprised if there are many Pharaonic coins around but perhaps some survive from the later dynasties of ancient Egypt? These I'd be especially interested in as they'd probably only display Egyptian iconography and I'd be very curious if you came across any of these.

But like I say, I'm quite open-minded, so if you found any old coins, especially if they have a reasonable metal composition and content or happen to look particularly good or have an interesting background, please feel free to let me know here or directly by PM.

Thanks very much!  Cheesy

johnniewalker (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
September 14, 2013, 05:52:54 AM

Thanks johnniewalker, I'm no expert on Roman history so I probably couldn't choose one era over another, not as far as coins go anyway.

My preference is probably for coins struck before Christ although I'm fairly open-minded on that. I suppose I'm looking for coins that have both intrinsic and historical value, are well made, can be clearly dated and/or authenticated with perhaps an interesting history of their own (maybe a short-lived or little known Emperor, etc).

Going back in time a little further, I'd also be interested in coins struck for the Greek/Ptolemaic period of Egypt after the conquest by Alexander the Great in 332BC as they might have both Greek and Egyptian iconography on them and perhaps be minted in Alexandria.

I'd be surprised if there are many Pharaonic coins around but perhaps some survive from the later dynasties of ancient Egypt? These I'd be especially interested in as they'd probably only display Egyptian iconography and I'd be very curious if you came across any of these.

But like I say, I'm quite open-minded, so if you found any old coins, especially if they have a reasonable metal composition and content or happen to look particularly good or have an interesting background, please feel free to let me know here or directly by PM.

Thanks very much!  Cheesy
No problem. And yeah-I know what you mean. There are not many collectors into the "ancients", but if they are they're rich and very knowledgeable. I only have a couple. I wanted a BC one like you, just cause DAMN that is old. And I have one with Commodus on it because I love the movie Gladiator LOL. I'm no ancient historian.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: