Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 10:27:11 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Prices differences between Exchanges  (Read 196 times)
HenkdPee (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 20, 2017, 09:54:37 AM

Hi All!

I have notices that a (random) coin can have a different price depending the Exchange it is traded on.
Take, for example, XRP. It is traded on a number of exchanges and the price is different per exchange. The difference is small, but still it's a difference.

Is the price of a coin not synced between Exchanges?
If not, how does this system work? How come that the difference is still small although not synced. And, how do I make sure I trade on the Exchange which is offering the best price?

Maybe stupid questions but would like to understand how this works.

Cheers!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
javadsalehi

Activity: 364
Merit: 13

View Profile
October 20, 2017, 10:07:30 AM

As the prices are determined by buyers and sellers these small differences are normal. But always prices on exchanges are going to be same. If you want to buy a coin at best price you should check all the exchanges simultanoeusly and should have bitcoin in all of them. Because the prices will change after your bitcoin transaction is confirmed.
Mallyx

Activity: 1138
Merit: 574

View Profile
October 20, 2017, 10:10:12 AM

Hi All!

I have notices that a (random) coin can have a different price depending the Exchange it is traded on.
Take, for example, XRP. It is traded on a number of exchanges and the price is different per exchange. The difference is small, but still it's a difference.

If not, how does this system work? How come that the difference is still small although not synced. And, how do I make sure I trade on the Exchange which is offering the best price?

Maybe stupid questions but would like to understand how this works.

Cheers!

Arbitrage happen between exchange only if it's profitable.

If you buy lower on an exchange to sell higher on an other, you must be sure that the withdraw fee + trading fee are good to make a profit. Else it's not interesting.

It's one of the reasons you can have a small difference between exchanges.
n4poleon

Activity: 252
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 20, 2017, 10:14:37 AM

You're a noobie but you're on the right path, asking more relevant questions. Well, this is normal this is how you see that orders are different. You can compare prices at the coinmarketcap list. And when price difference are high, you can do arbitrage trading. But this rarely happen and when it happens it is very short lived.
HenkdPee (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 20, 2017, 10:58:50 AM

Thanks for the answers, so far. But how on earth can it be that these Exchanges end up with almost exact the same prices for coins, where there is nothing implemented (like interfaces) to automatically sync these prices?? How can that be?
maeusi

Activity: 462
Merit: 254

View Profile
October 20, 2017, 08:55:49 PM

Thanks for the answers, so far. But how on earth can it be that these Exchanges end up with almost exact the same prices for coins, where there is nothing implemented (like interfaces) to automatically sync these prices?? How can that be?
The difference is mostly caused on trading volumen at exchangers. Big exchangers like for exampke Poloniex, Bittrex and Bitfinex have on well known cryptocurrencies large trade volumen. If you choose exchangers with low trades or exotic ctyptos the price often changes with one buy/sell order and prices are unstable. But only experienced traders may take  profit from arbitrage.
zikabra

Activity: 574
Merit: 139

View Profile
October 20, 2017, 09:03:55 PM

No, people are selling and buying where rates are best.
If not, how does this system work? How come that the difference is still small although not synced.
Have you ever heard of arbitrage trading? Google it. Also see my answer above.
And, how do I make sure I trade on the Exchange which is offering the best price?
You have to watch market on each exchange.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: