Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 09:28:51 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How can I send a message with a transaction?  (Read 239 times)
Dr Bloggood (OP)

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 02, 2017, 05:51:25 PM

A message e.g. like the one Satoshi sent with the Genesis block: "Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks."

Just curious how to do this as a normal user.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
achow101
Legendary

Activity: 3374
Merit: 6535

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
November 02, 2017, 06:04:08 PM

The message that Satoshi included in the Genesis block is actually part of the Coinbase transaction of that block. Specifically, in the input of any Coinbase transaction, you can include whatever data that you want. Satoshi chose to put a string there. So if you want to do the same thing, then you must be a miner and set whatever you want in that part of the coinbase transaction of your blocks.

There are other ways to embed data in transactions. You can use an OP_RETURN output which allows you to make a provably unspendable output that has arbitrary data in it.

DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3374
Merit: 4610

View Profile
November 02, 2017, 06:11:40 PM

Bitcoin is not a messaging system.

However, the OP_RETURN code was added so that some data could be embedded in the transaction outputs if someone wants to.

None of the standard wallets provide a user interface for embedding data, nor do they provide any method for viewing any embedded data.  This is because Bitcoin is not a messaging system.

However, there are services that will charge you a fee and will create transactions with embedded data for you.  Most of those services will also display that data on their website.
Dr Bloggood (OP)

View Profile
November 02, 2017, 06:21:51 PM

The message that Satoshi included in the Genesis block is actually part of the Coinbase transaction of that block. Specifically, in the input of any Coinbase transaction, you can include whatever data that you want. Satoshi chose to put a string there. So if you want to do the same thing, then you must be a miner and set whatever you want in that part of the coinbase transaction of your blocks.

There are other ways to embed data in transactions. You can use an OP_RETURN output which allows you to make a provably unspendable output that has arbitrary data in it.

Thank you! Only possible for miners, I see.

Would you mind explaining how I can use an OP_RETURN output? Do I have to run my own node in order to do that? Non-technical person here...
Dr Bloggood (OP)

View Profile
November 02, 2017, 06:26:04 PM

Bitcoin is not a messaging system.

However, the OP_RETURN code was added so that some data could be embedded in the transaction outputs if someone wants to.

None of the standard wallets provide a user interface for embedding data, nor do they provide any method for viewing any embedded data.  This is because Bitcoin is not a messaging system.

However, there are services that will charge you a fee and will create transactions with embedded data for you.  Most of those services will also display that data on their website.

Yes, I get that Bitcoin is not a messaging system. I was asking out of curiosity, and also to maybe in the future mark certain addresses as proof for tax reasons. It's not good to spam and congest the network, I know.

Which services would do that, can you name some?

And btw, I applaud you for restlessly answer questions on this forum and educating people. Bitcoin needs people like you, so thanks!
cryptoDARO

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
November 02, 2017, 06:31:22 PM

You can't do it with Bitcoin but there are Ethereum apps which allow you exactly what you described. I think you can do it with Status (SNT) and several more apps.
Check out Byteball too.
Dr Bloggood (OP)

View Profile
November 02, 2017, 06:37:05 PM

You can't do it with Bitcoin but there are Ethereum apps which allow you exactly what you described. I think you can do it with Status (SNT) and several more apps.
Check out Byteball too.

Thanks, looking for a way to do it with BTC though. I'm not gonna choose my crypto after its ability to send a message with a transaction. Wink
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: