Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 12:00:28 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Decentralized Exchanges Are Illegal.  (Read 7867 times)
KSV

Activity: 398
Merit: 250

SVERIGES VIRTUELLA VALUTAVÄXLING

View Profile WWW
June 09, 2013, 05:20:15 PM

According to FINCEN.

they cant regulate the whole world, it will be fun for us to watch them try tho.

Trade Bitcoins @ FYB-SE ---> https://www.fybse.se
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
UncleBobs

Activity: 103
Merit: 10

It From Bit

View Profile WWW
June 09, 2013, 05:30:27 PM

The regime is tightening its sinister grip!  Be afraid!  Run! Run!!!

http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/news/regions/americas/united-states/130607/what-if-journalists-covered-us-like-they-cover-world

Disobey the Thought Police.  Resist Totalitarian Humanism.
http://attackthesystem.com/?s=totalitarian+humanism
BTCLuke

Activity: 526
Merit: 508

My other Avatar is also Scrooge McDuck

View Profile
June 09, 2013, 05:46:46 PM

I feel sorry for anyone who doesn't already have the OP and PuffPuffPass on ignore yet.

Judging by your reactions, they're doing a Grade A troll job here.

Luke Parker
Bank Abolitionist
esenminer

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 09, 2013, 07:25:28 PM

This is not true. Nothing in FinCEN prevents you from trading Bitcoins for other cryptocurrency or for FIAT as long as you are acting on your own behalf (i.e. not a business).

The actual method of trading whether centralized or decentralized or meeting at your mom's house has no bearing.

FinCEN applies to US companies which act for consumers as a money services businesses - think Western Union - it doesn't apply to individuals.

You should claim and pay taxes on all income when / if you convert to FIAT.

If selling Bitcoins for cash was illegal so would selling your used gpu or your grandma's antique furniture.
Stampbit (OP)

Activity: 182

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 11:21:57 PM

FINCEN covers anyone who transfers money between two parties, be it virtual or real, they are therefore a MSB and must be registered as such. The cost of doing so is millions of dollars on the state level, and anyone who trades USD or with americans must be regulated. Ripple and any decentralized exchange theory therefore will be illegal as no one within the network can afford to be regulated. Even if such a network existed on tor it must at some point interface with the banks and it is at that point that FINCEN can begin hanging people to scare the rest into submission.

Stampbit (OP)

Activity: 182

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 11:23:07 PM

I feel sorry for anyone who doesn't already have the OP and PuffPuffPass on ignore yet.

Judging by your reactions, they're doing a Grade A troll job here.

The only trolls here are the ones still living under a bridge.
drrussellshane

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 11:49:24 PM

Wouldn't surprise me if giving your kid a pop tart is illegal nowadays.

I don't know, but if your kid bites that pop tart into the shape of a pistol, you may be an accessory.

http://reason.com/blog/2013/03/01/pop-tart-pistol-7-year-old-gets-suspende

Buy a TREZOR! Premier BTC hardware wallet. If you're reading this, you should probably buy one if you don't already have one. You'll thank me later.
AlternaPost

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2013, 01:11:48 AM

Does anyone have a specific source for this claim?
worldinacoin

Activity: 756

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 01:15:12 AM

Bitcoin isn't an exchange at all, it is a software!
BitcoinAshley

Activity: 448

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 03:17:39 AM

When the government gets hold of some people and puts them in federal penitentiary for felony tax evasion, people will learn.  You DON'T need a big red "OFF" button to shut down bitcoin.  Bitcoin is very fragile.  For crying out loud people go into panic mode whenever they see a large sell order.  Also any new laws or regulations will deter future investors thus preventing new "fiat" from coming in.

LOL, wtf are you talking about? The government puts people in jail for felony tax evasion all the time, and people STILL evade taxes at a felony level. So what makes you think the deterrence will suddenly start working now that it's even EASIER do to it undetectably?  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

That's like saying "When the government gets hold of some people and slaps a huge fine on them for felony copyright violation, people will learn - they will all suddenly STOP using torrents!"

For the record, regulation decreases supply and increases demand. Wild short-term fluctuations are not relevant. A few months ago bitcoin was $10 and a few years ago it was $1 and before that it was one cent. Try some perspective before you FUD yourself to death.
owsleybeatsbigcartel

Activity: 28

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2013, 05:23:10 AM

According to FINCEN.

I hope they shut down Bitcoin. Would be funny.

They would have to shut off the Internet in it's entirety.
its starting....back to the smoke signal coin
owsleybeatsbigcartel

Activity: 28

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2013, 05:33:48 AM

According to FINCEN.

FINCOIN ? >> pos i kaint get it to sync ! =) ha
kelsey
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 07:28:25 AM

fincen = USA

What about the other 95% of the population  Tongue

Yeah mate, think too many on here and the US gov seems to forget there's a big wide world out there outside of the USA.

Also funny that most of these exchanges base themselves in the US.....dat just askin for trouble.
bigdude

Activity: 896

Dolphins Finance TRUSTED FINANCE

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 08:03:19 AM

fincen = USA

Also funny that most of these exchanges base themselves in the US.....dat just askin for trouble.

Well not really. The problem is, even if you are based OUTSIDE of the US, how do you accept USD deposits. And how do you send them when they are withdrawn.

That's why Mt.Gox had trouble in the US, they still had accounts there, even though they aren't based there.

So, how does an exchange get around that?

kelsey
Legendary

Activity: 1876

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 08:40:15 AM

fincen = USA

Well not really. The problem is, even if you are based OUTSIDE of the US, how do you accept USD deposits. And how do you send them when they are withdrawn.

That's why Mt.Gox had trouble in the US, they still had accounts there, even though they aren't based there.

And why do you even need to accept USD?...hell I've been in btc from early on, never seen or touched a USD in my life. Simple don't trade in USD like 95% of the worlds population Wink
bigdude

Activity: 896

Dolphins Finance TRUSTED FINANCE

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 09:31:32 AM

fincen = USA

And why do you even need to accept USD?...hell I've been in btc from early on, never seen or touched a USD in my life. Simple don't trade in USD like 95% of the worlds population Wink

My point was that as an EXCHANGE, you would really want to accept USD right? otherwise you are cutting out a big market - ie. all US peeps

jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1233

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 09:54:12 AM

According to FINCEN.
Yeah
Come at me FINCEN

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
crumbs

Activity: 210

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 06:57:53 PM

According to FINCEN.
Yeah
Come at me FINCEN

You're not from US, but for those who care about FINCEN:
"An exchanger is a person engaged as a business in the exchange of virtual currency for real currency, funds, or other virtual currency"
Cut, paste & Google Smiley
gollum

Activity: 434

In Hashrate We Trust!

View Profile
June 12, 2013, 12:05:16 AM

fincen = USA

Assume that you have a legal forex-deealershop anywhere in the world (except US), noone can stop you from selling bitcoins and receive dollar bills. or any other currency.
Bitcoinpro
Legendary

Activity: 1344

View Profile
June 12, 2013, 04:48:29 AM

its a troll thread it should really be deleted  Smiley

WWW.FACEBOOK.COM

CRYPTOCURRENCY CENTRAL BANK

LTC: LP7bcFENVL9vdmUVea1M6FMyjSmUfsMVYf
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print