Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 06:18:47 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ethereum mining difficult down a LOT  (Read 1405 times)
paxmao (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1584

Do not die for Putin

View Profile
October 21, 2017, 12:34:26 AM

https://www.coinwarz.com/difficulty-charts/ethereum-difficulty-chart

What happened? Is simply a consequence of the fork or is there something I am missing?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
leonix007

Activity: 1008
Merit: 297

Grow with community

View Profile
October 21, 2017, 03:40:59 AM

What happened? Is simply a consequence of the fork or is there something I am missing?

Its obviously the effect of the fork, we will still enjoy ETH pow for a year at least.

https://www.coindesk.com/ethereum-executes-blockchain-hard-fork-byzantium/

https://www.cryptocoinsnews.com/byzantium-hard-fork-activates-ethereum-network/
paxmao (OP)
Legendary

Do not die for Putin

View Profile
October 21, 2017, 09:48:15 AM

Its obviously the effect of the fork, we will still enjoy ETH pow for a year at least.

https[Suspicious link removed]cutes-blockchain-hard-fork-byzantium/

https://www.cryptocoinsnews.com/byzantium-hard-fork-activates-ethereum-network/

I understood that issue rate was going to be lowered, but actually seems a bit better for miners???

Metroid

Activity: 2142
Merit: 353

Xtreme Monster

View Profile
October 21, 2017, 10:05:07 AM

I understood that issue rate was going to be lowered, but actually seems a bit better for miners???

profit wise, nothing changed.

BTC Address: 1DH4ok85VdFAe47fSVXNVctxkFhUv4ujbR
xIIImaL
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1005

View Profile
October 21, 2017, 10:06:19 AM

As block segregation is gonna happen on ethereum this time along with the hard fork. We have to wait till the upcoming fork happening day. After that bitcoin and ethreum cost will move again to flight. Whenever the hard fork or halving implementing, that time dump is usually happen.

Don't bother about the difficulty chart bump in the graph. If you fear sell it out. You will surely loose your profit and amount you saved or bought for it.
Vann

Activity: 1036
Merit: 606

View Profile
October 21, 2017, 10:15:14 AM
Last edit: October 21, 2017, 10:49:21 AM by Vann

Block times also went down by more than 50% from >30 seconds to <14 seconds. Before the Byzantium fork ~10 ETH/min were issued, now ~12+ ETH/min.

I would not be surprised to see a hybrid POW/POS implementation sooner than people think. In the last Ethereum developer meeting it was discussed preparation for the POW/POS implementation is at a point where it could be released in the next hard fork, Constantinople, which should be within 6-9 months.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZN-AtGgtmtA&feature=youtu.be&t=2297

Sev18

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 21, 2017, 10:29:22 AM

It's the result of Byz fork. Block time 30s -> 14s and block rewards 5ETH -> 3ETH.
It made 15%-20% increase in ethereum mining profit.

■■■■■■■  Multi-Algo Switching Manager - MULTIPOOL MULTIALGO Profit Switch Launcher  ■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■             https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2041971             ■■■■■■■
■■■■■■■                           Download Now!                           ■■■■■■■
Noxmfs

Activity: 126
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2017, 11:37:21 AM

It's because of the fork. At the day of the fork when the difficulty lowered itself I nearly doubled my ETH income but later that day the reward was lowered from 5 to 3eth per block. It still made a positive uptrend towards ETH/month ratio by 15%. And right now as ETH price is driven down thanks to the Bitcoin Gold, our ETH profits still increase. This is the season to mine ETH!
paxmao (OP)
Legendary

Do not die for Putin

View Profile
October 21, 2017, 12:16:40 PM

As block segregation is gonna happen on ethereum this time along with the hard fork. We have to wait till the upcoming fork happening day. After that bitcoin and ethreum cost will move again to flight. Whenever the hard fork or halving implementing, that time dump is usually happen.

Don't bother about the difficulty chart bump in the graph. If you fear sell it out. You will surely loose your profit and amount you saved or bought for it.

Do you think that there will be dumping?

I do not fear much, I believe in crypto long term and along with mining I also invest. I do not know what effect will have PoS on Ethereum ... either is cheap to produce and therefore price lowers OR there is more demand as the network fees are lower and the price increases.

It is unclear to me frankly... any hint?

paxmao (OP)
Legendary

Do not die for Putin

View Profile
October 21, 2017, 12:19:52 PM

It's because of the fork. At the day of the fork when the difficulty lowered itself I nearly doubled my ETH income but later that day the reward was lowered from 5 to 3eth per block. It still made a positive uptrend towards ETH/month ratio by 15%. And right now as ETH price is driven down thanks to the Bitcoin Gold, our ETH profits still increase. This is the season to mine ETH!

Thanks for the clarity. I think bitcoin gold may have effect on Ethereum, but I think the Eth project at the moment has a strong community and some big whales behind.

xIIImaL
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1005

View Profile
October 21, 2017, 02:52:32 PM

I do not fear much, I believe in crypto long term and along with mining I also invest. I do not know what effect will have PoS on Ethereum ... either is cheap to produce and therefore price lowers OR there is more demand as the network fees are lower and the price increases.

It may happen anything dude. Ethereum difficulty chart completely falls down in the graph. I don't know whether you checked it or not. Yesterday bitcoin's value bumped more and now it is settled around 6100 USD, but the Ethereum cost floats down to 287 USD in the chart. Henceforth, we cannot speculate the cost of ethereum until we see the real price at that time. You have to wait till upcoming fork day.
hardhouseinc

Activity: 672
Merit: 250

Most Advanced Crypto Exchange on the Blockchain

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2017, 03:12:34 PM

It's the result of Byz fork. Block time 30s -> 14s and block rewards 5ETH -> 3ETH.

Have I missing something?
I am mining also and seen increase. I was thinking that we'll get lower profit because block rewards will be 3 ETH instead of 5. But it seems to be better Smiley

▄▄▄▄
            ██████▄▄
            ██████████▄
            ████████████▄
       ▄▄███   ▀▀█████████▄
    ▄███████       ▀███████▌
  ▄█████████         ▀██████▌
 ▄██████████           ██████
▄███████████
████████████
████████████
████████████
▀███████████
 ▀██████████           ██████
  ▀█████████         ▄██████▌
    ▀███████       ▄███████▌
       ▀▀███   ▄▄█████████▀
            ████████████▀
            ██████████▀
            ██████▀▀
            ▀▀▀▀
|
CRYPTOCIRCLEX
THE MOST ADVANCED CRYPTO EXCHANGE ON THE BLOCKCHAIN
|

██ ██
███████████▄
  ███   ▀▀███
  ███     ▐██
  ███    ▄███
  ██████████▄
  ███    ▀▀███
  ███      ▐██
  ███     ▄███
████████████▀
    ██ ██
    ▀▀ ▀▀
#Forum ANN

█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄
█  ▀▀     █ ▀█▄
█  ▀▀▀▀   █   ▀█
█         ▀▀▀▀▀█
█      ███▄    █
█   ▄██  ▀██   █
█  ▐███        █
█  ▐███        █
█   ▀██  ▄██   █
█      ███▀  █ █
█          ▀▀▀ █
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
#Whitepaper

▄█████
   ████▀▀▀
   ████
   ████
██████████
▀▀▀████▀▀
   ████
   ████
   ████
   ████
   ████
   ▀▀▀▀
#Facebook 

▄████▄▄   ▄
█▄          ██████████▀▄
███        ███████████▀
▐████▄     ██████████▌
▄▄██████▄▄▄▄█████████▌
▀████████████████████
  ▀█████████████████
  ▄▄███████████████
   ▀█████████████▀
    ▄▄█████████▀
▀▀██████████▀
    ▀▀▀▀▀
#Twitter         

█▄▄              █▄▄
█████▄▄         ██████▄▄
████████       ████████ █
████████ ██   ████████ ██
████████ ███ ████████ ███
████████ ████ ██████ ████
████████ █████ ████ █████
████████ ▀█████ ██ ██████
████████    ▀▀██  ███████
▀███████         ▀███████
   ▀▀███            ▀▀███
       ▀                ▀
#Medium     

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
 ▄█████████████████████████▄
 ███████████████████████████
▐███████████████████████████▌
▐███████████  ▀█████████████▌
▐███████████     ▀██████████▌
▐███████████     ▄██████████▌
▐███████████  ▄█████████████▌
▐███████████████████████████▌
 ███████████████████████████
 ▀█████████████████████████▀
   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
#YouTube   

▄▄████
              ▄▄████████▌
         ▄▄█████████▀███
    ▄▄██████████▀▀ ▄███▌
▄████████████▀▀  ▄█████
▀▀▀███████▀   ▄███████▌
      ██    ▄█████████
       █  ▄██████████▌
       █  ███████████
       █ ██▀ ▀██████▌
       ██▀     ▀████
                 ▀█▌

#Telegram
|
Coffee135

Activity: 392
Merit: 137

View Profile
October 21, 2017, 03:13:06 PM

I'm not mining directly. I'm using the nicehash pool. I get there and immediately change Ethereum on bitcoin. So I don't follow the price of Ethereum. But I can say for sure that the income from mining in dollars does not change. The higher the price the less bitcoin mined coins but the result is not changed. Only in case if the price goes down we can lose income. In such periods it is better to exchange the coins for Fiat.
paxmao (OP)
Legendary

Do not die for Putin

View Profile
October 25, 2017, 03:23:49 PM

I do not need moral support nor preaching, just technical views. I would hire a professional for the former.

paxmao (OP)
Legendary

Do not die for Putin

View Profile
October 25, 2017, 03:28:05 PM

profit wise, nothing changed.

It has changed for the better, roughly 25% or so.

BlomBaster

Activity: 234
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 25, 2017, 03:47:05 PM

As a result of the update on October 16, the block time was reduced by a factor of 2, which led to a doubling of the difficult.
Metroid

Activity: 2142
Merit: 353

Xtreme Monster

View Profile
October 25, 2017, 03:48:43 PM

There is no increase in profit at all, you are blind to the truth.

BTC Address: 1DH4ok85VdFAe47fSVXNVctxkFhUv4ujbR
phase2

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 25, 2017, 04:01:05 PM

there is a minor increase in profit.
blackhwk77

Activity: 27

View Profile
October 25, 2017, 05:07:03 PM

Then why did the payout time on ethermine reduce by ~25% or so ?  I get .05 shares every 15 hours instead of the 20 before the fork.

phase2

Activity: 15

View Profile
October 25, 2017, 08:02:53 PM

Then why did the payout time on ethermine reduce by ~25% or so ?  I get .05 shares every 15 hours instead of the 20 before the fork.

too many reasons for this, did you check your stale shares?
blackhwk77

Activity: 27

View Profile
October 25, 2017, 08:08:50 PM

I'm now getting paid more often, stale shares did not increase much.

too many reasons for this, did you check your stale shares?

ltcsprite

Activity: 269
Merit: 101

View Profile
October 25, 2017, 08:33:34 PM

Went from like .11 ETH to .13 ETH per day so yeah it did increase.

hehe

Dlikrot

Activity: 227
Merit: 101

View Profile
October 25, 2017, 09:29:36 PM

Indeed it did. My small 5 card rig will finally pay it’s first ethpool payout around christmas.. wohooo Smiley

To btc or not to btc - that is the electrum
paxmao (OP)
Legendary

Do not die for Putin

View Profile
October 25, 2017, 11:08:02 PM

My two cents. This is a market like any other: offer and demand meet and form a price. In this case, it is a market with very small obstacles to the entry of producers (miners).

PoW

The demand for ethereum is driven, unfortunately, by speculation and news not (at the moment) by real use as store of value, commerce vehicle /payment method nor per the utility to execute smart contracts. As anything speculative, DEMAND WILL MOVE BY NEWS (adoption, bans, projects, posibility to pay in stores, competing alternatives, expectations of increase in value...)

The offer of Ethereum is fixed at 3 EHT per block, that is whatever per minute. Miners go in or out the market if the price makes operations profitable, so OFFER IS DRIVEN BY PRODUCTION COST, particular cost and availability of graphics cards and also electricity prices.

Thus, exceptional good news or investment may TEMPORARELY drive the price up, but it will be soon be back to "normal" as more people enter the mining attracted by these prices until is no longer really profitable.

PoS

Once it becomes PoS, the production cost instead of being driven by electricity and hardware will be driven by the cost of staking Ethereum. This cost becomes minimally related to hardware and electricity and very related to the cost of money (interests).

The "producers" (stakers) will chose among buying ethereum to stake it and earn "interests" by minting Ether or chose to have other criptos or fiats or bonds or shares that allow obtaining interests or dividends. Therefore, ETH will be just like any share of a company as far as offer is concerned.

And, as with any share, price will be driven by speculation about the use of the network, real transactions, etc.. and by the attractiveness of the "interest rates"  of staking Ether vs the interest rates of Euro, Ruble, Dolar or whatever you chose.

So, my two cents are:

- Price will change from being hardware and electricity related to the opportunity cost of alternative investments in the market.
- As the yield or interest is related to the use of the network, the price will become much more related to new, speculation and in the long term, mainstream adoption as with any startup.

WILL THE PRICE RISE??? It will depend on the real applications in the long term.

WHAT DOES THIS MEAN TO ME? That when PoS comes into effect you are efectively a shareholder of the Ethereum network Smiley Help it grow, promote it and be active and we will all profit from it (think of Apple).

Does this make sense?

B3dr0ck

Activity: 159
Merit: 11

View Profile
October 27, 2017, 07:09:53 PM

Just to confirm - the block reward, with the recent ETH fork, dropped from 5 per block to 3?

It looks like the hash on the network dropped a lot.  So, where did all that GPU mining go?
paxmao (OP)
Legendary

Do not die for Putin

View Profile
October 27, 2017, 09:36:03 PM

Just to confirm - the block reward, with the recent ETH fork, dropped from 5 per block to 3?

It looks like the hash on the network dropped a lot.  So, where did all that GPU mining go?

That was my original question. It seems that the graph has considered the decrease in difficulty as a sign of less hashing power.

Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: