Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 07:31:51 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: bit coins stolen  (Read 1839 times)
tcrasher (OP)

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 05:46:55 PM

just had 10 bitcoins stolen from from me

this address took it 
19ocTJgeLnXGpxRBy1gG1umiaer8FtUX2K

i know i will most likey never get them back but maybe someone knows who this is.
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jaywaka2713

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

aka 7Strykes

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 05:58:58 PM

Note to moderators, please have this thread moved.

Tcrasher, you have posted in the wrong section of the forums. Please post in Off Topic (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=9.0) Or Scam Accusations (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=83.0) in the future.

grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 06:01:52 PM

Can you give a summary of what happened? because your story makes no sense. The address you mentioned received a 8.9 BTC transaction, then a 4.6 BTC transaction. None of the are close to 10 BTC.

note to jaywaka2713, moderators are not omniscient and therefore can't see your request for the thread to be moved.

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
jaywaka2713

Activity: 266

aka 7Strykes

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 06:04:10 PM

note to jaywaka2713, moderators are not omniscient and therefore can't see your request for the thread to be moved.

I am aware of that, however it is in the wrong section. I understand your point though and will leave such comments out in the future.

tcrasher (OP)

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 06:18:06 PM

should have said 10+ bitcoins.  i looked in my wallet today buy somethings and i noticed my wallet was cleaned out and 2 transactions takeing out the coins.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4475

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 06:22:12 PM

should have said 10+ bitcoins.  i looked in my wallet today buy somethings and i noticed my wallet was cleaned out and 2 transactions takeing out the coins.

what wallet were you using. did you download the sourcecode and comple it yourself
what operating system do you use
what other wallets did you ever have your private keys in EG did you use a vanity gen program to get the address initially
in the last 48 hours what other programs or services have you used/downloaded

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
ineededausername

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

bitcoin hundred-aire

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 06:22:52 PM

Answer the following questions.

>Was your wallet a local (not cloud) wallet?
>>If it was, was it encrypted?
>>If it wasn't, was it protected by 2FA?

These trivial security measures are all necessary, but not sufficient.  If you didn't even have these basic protections, I have little sympathy for you.

(BFL)^2 < 0
tinus42

Merit: 501

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 06:29:42 PM

These trivial security measures are all necessary, but not sufficient.  If you didn't even have these basic protections, I have little sympathy for you.

2FA and encrypted passphrases of sufficient strenght should be mandatory at resp. cloud wallets and local wallets.

Banks don't allow their clients to access their bank accounts without encryption and some 2FA measure. So why should Bitcoin?

Most people are jackasses about security, they will always choose a weak password over a complex one and write it on a post-it note which they stick on their monitors unless they are prevented from doing that.
grue
Legendary

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 06:59:38 PM

2FA and encrypted passphrases of sufficient strenght should be mandatory at resp. cloud wallets and local wallets.
in other words, everywhere. no shit.

worldtreasurefinders

Activity: 315

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 07:43:21 PM

just had 10 bitcoins stolen from from me

this address took it 
19ocTJgeLnXGpxRBy1gG1umiaer8FtUX2K

This is a good reminder for the rest of us to be diligent in protecting our coins.  As BTC gets more valuable, we all become bigger targets.

Architect, Anarchist, Numismatist, Crypto-Enthusiast.
ranlo
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1007

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 10:38:35 PM

These trivial security measures are all necessary, but not sufficient.  If you didn't even have these basic protections, I have little sympathy for you.

Banks don't allow their clients to access their bank accounts without encryption and some 2FA measure. So why should Bitcoin?

Most people are jackasses about security, they will always choose a weak password over a complex one and write it on a post-it note which they stick on their monitors unless they are prevented from doing that.

lol, this is so true. Too many people also use the same exact passwords for absolutely everything and then complain when one account is hacked and people get access to everything else.

https://nanogames.io/i-bctalk-n/
Message for info on how to get kickbacks on sites like Nano (above) and CryptoPlay!
grue
Legendary

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 10:52:40 PM

I find this story suspicious.

• The alleged theft took place over 2 transactions, each over 10 hours apart. A thief wouldn't do this because it increases his chance of detection
  • The alleged theft did not clean out OP's wallet. If you check blockexplorer, there are still funds left at his address. why a thief would leave $4 left at a victim's account is beyond me.

nimda

Merit: 1000

0xFB0D8D1534241423

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 12:42:53 AM

On the other hand, what does the OP stand to gain from lying? Sympathy tips?
ranlo
Legendary

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 12:46:02 AM

Possibly. There's been a ton of lies around here that seem to serve no purpose. It's hard to tell. Maybe people are just compulsive liars, lol.

Message for info on how to get kickbacks on sites like Nano (above) and CryptoPlay!
threeip

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
June 15, 2013, 12:53:54 AM

I find this story suspicious.

• The alleged theft took place over 2 transactions, each over 10 hours apart. A thief wouldn't do this because it increases his chance of detection
  • The alleged theft did not clean out OP's wallet. If you check blockexplorer, there are still funds left at his address. why a thief would leave $4 left at a victim's account is beyond me.

• He left those few remaining funds in a known compromised wallet.
  • Joined here 2 weeks ago and already lost $1000.

ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็ GPG:2AFD99BB ಠ_ಠ mon
tcrasher (OP)

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 03:07:24 AM

the reason for the 12 hrs apart was i had another deposit that was taking longer to get put into my account and almost right after i get the email saying fund are in my account i load up my wallet and find just all the coins gone.
and yes only been in bitcoins a little over 2 weeks sure puts a bad taste in my mouth after this incident,
ranlo
Legendary

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 03:54:12 AM

the reason for the 12 hrs apart was i had another deposit that was taking longer to get put into my account and almost right after i get the email saying fund are in my account i load up my wallet and find just all the coins gone.
and yes only been in bitcoins a little over 2 weeks sure puts a bad taste in my mouth after this incident,

You still haven't answered any of the questions though. What you've done is the equivalent of me saying "someone just stole $1,000 from me" and hoping someone happens to know how it happened, where it happened and what could have been done to prevent it.

grue
Legendary

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 03:50:42 PM

That doesn't support his story. It's the equivalent of "you think someone would lie on the internet?"

That still leaves the question: why would a thief leave funds behind when stealing a wallet?

ranlo
Legendary

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 03:55:45 PM

That doesn't support his story. It's the equivalent of "you think someone would lie on the internet?"

That still leaves the question: why would a thief leave funds behind when stealing a wallet?

Not all thieves are that bright. Look at the ones that rob a store and steal cigarettes, for example, but give the clerk their actual driver's license to prove they are of age. People do stupid stuff.

Welsh
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3262
Merit: 4110

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 03:56:55 PM

People make up crap all the time, don't ask me why. Maybe it was his way of asking to protect his wallet but didn't want to sound like a noob...in some strange way.

Anyway, Op. HAVE you been in contact with anyone recently? I mean here on the forums or skype etc. Have you downloaded any files recently from untrusted sources?
Viruses are increasing now that Bitcoin is becoming more popular, that's why having a offline computer is better.

Not all thieves are that bright. Look at the ones that rob a store and steal cigarettes, for example, but give the clerk their actual driver's license to prove they are of age. People do stupid stuff.

That's true, but why would he do two transactions if it were a thief? that doesn't make any sense. Obsiously to gain access to his wallet in the first place he must of been pretty intelligent, unless the OP made a silly mistake. Or, he followed a script. But, even then going undetected, he must of been tech savvy at least, as the majority of Bitcoin users are. I'm not saying that makes you smart. But, it just doesn't make any sense to leave anything behind.
If you were on a island with not having food for days and found a few melons, would you take them all and store them safety to stop animals eating them or would you take a few and leave some?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: