Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 08:36:11 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Where did my bitcoin go? Maybe I just don't know how to use program?  (Read 3063 times)
qualia8

Activity: 237
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 04:55:05 AM

Wow pretty sure I just got jipped then.

My 1 BTC is completely missing from my address according to block explorer... for some reason it seems like my address changed since the last time I've used it, or Tradehill completely threw away my BTC

This whole thing seems compeltely unreliable.... jesus fucking christ. Why the hell is my address different now than it was before? I sent this data in a week ago and it still isn't here, now I have a different address and I'm still jipped of about $14 USD worth of bitcoin. Fuck this!

... aaaannd this is why things have to get simpler and simpler and more user friendly.
Not really, you just have to not be pants on head retarded.

In other words, 3/4's of the world's population isn't fit for using our currency?  Think of your grandma.  Wink

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
bitcon
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1008

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 04:59:34 AM

exactly.  most grannys dont even know how to surf the web, and we want everyday people to embrace and have faith in this new currency that you wont even be able to use if your power goes out.
KorJax (OP)

Activity: 62
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 05:06:27 AM

Wow pretty sure I just got jipped then.

My 1 BTC is completely missing from my address according to block explorer... for some reason it seems like my address changed since the last time I've used it, or Tradehill completely threw away my BTC

This whole thing seems compeltely unreliable.... jesus fucking christ. Why the hell is my address different now than it was before? I sent this data in a week ago and it still isn't here, now I have a different address and I'm still jipped of about $14 USD worth of bitcoin. Fuck this!
You don't have an address, you have several addresses. The client automatically generates new addresses to help you preserve your anonymity.

In the client go to "Address Book", "Receiving" and try to find there the address you used with Tradehill. Look at it with block explorer. If it's not there you need to contact Tradehill about this. Make sure you are using the correct wallet file.

If the money appears in blockexplorer and not in the client, and you have all blocks, run bitcoin with the -rescan parameter.

Pretty sure changing my default bitcoin data folder back to the default location completely wiped whatever wallet.dat file that the BTC was sent to, somehow. Despite both wallet.dat files in both data locations supposidly being exactly the same.

I have no transaction history in my bitcoin client, and the only address I have in the address book is the "new" one.
Sannyasi

Activity: 454
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
June 27, 2011, 05:12:05 AM

korjax...... welcome!      Vam from mektek is here too

1DxP5iL6hN5Gd3cwmDz9uFSntW8ALBQaGK

http://gamerkeys.net/common/home.htm <- the best place to get games!

my portfoio: http://windowsofamind.com
Garrett Burgwardt

Activity: 406
Merit: 256

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 05:15:58 AM

Hold on - to be clear, how many blocks do you have? If it's not ~133000 you're not caught up and won't see the transaction.

Sannyasi

Activity: 454
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
June 27, 2011, 05:23:37 AM

atm there are 133387 blocks- as mentioned above... need em all to confirm transactions

1DxP5iL6hN5Gd3cwmDz9uFSntW8ALBQaGK

http://gamerkeys.net/common/home.htm <- the best place to get games!

my portfoio: http://windowsofamind.com
BkkCoins

Activity: 784
Merit: 1009

firstbits:1MinerQ

View Profile WWW
June 27, 2011, 05:31:01 AM

Korjax, you had better return to the exchange transaction records and get the address you entered there and then plug that into bloxexplorer.com. If that address does NOT show up then contact the exchange and ask them why they never sent funds to that address.

If that address DOES show up then you need to figure out what you did with it. When you changed wallets and stuff you shouldn't have deleted a wallet and the address should still be in one of them. But it is possible in confusion that something was lost perhaps.

When you check addresses in the wallet be sure to click the "receiving" tab because it contains different addresses than "sending". The way bitcoin works it creates 100 addresses for you upon first run and they are inside your wallet. Only ones you use (or when you click Add Address) get shown in the addresses list. This aspect is confusing because it seems to make no sense but it is useful for people wanting to make tracking identity difficult.

dooglus
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1330

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 05:40:36 AM
Last edit: July 02, 2011, 09:38:47 PM by dooglus

Hopefully you didn't enter a wrong address when you did the transaction. AFAIK that would put funds in someones else's hands or a void address which can't be claimed.

There's a checksum built into Bitcoin addresses.  You're very unlikely to typo an address and end up with another valid address.  And if the address you type isn't a valid address, you'll not be able to send funds to it.

Just-Dice                 ██             
          ██████████         
      ██████████████████     
  ██████████████████████████ 
██████████████████████████████
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
   Play or Invest                 ██             
          ██████████         
      ██████████████████     
  ██████████████████████████ 
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
   1% House Edge
BkkCoins

Activity: 784
Merit: 1009

firstbits:1MinerQ

View Profile WWW
June 27, 2011, 05:44:19 AM

Hopefully you didn't enter a wrong address when you did the transaction. AFAIK that would put funds in someones else's hands or a void address which can't be claimed.

There's a checksum built into Bitcoin addresses.  You're very unlikely to typo and address and end up with another valid address.  And if the address you type isn't a valid address, you'll not be able to send funds to it.

Good to know. Makes sense but I didn't realize that.

KorJax (OP)

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 03:55:38 PM

korjax...... welcome!      Vam from mektek is here too

Alas my identity has been comprimised Cheesy
KorJax (OP)

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 03:59:10 PM

Korjax, you had better return to the exchange transaction records and get the address you entered there and then plug that into bloxexplorer.com. If that address does NOT show up then contact the exchange and ask them why they never sent funds to that address.

If that address DOES show up then you need to figure out what you did with it. When you changed wallets and stuff you shouldn't have deleted a wallet and the address should still be in one of them. But it is possible in confusion that something was lost perhaps.

When you check addresses in the wallet be sure to click the "receiving" tab because it contains different addresses than "sending". The way bitcoin works it creates 100 addresses for you upon first run and they are inside your wallet. Only ones you use (or when you click Add Address) get shown in the addresses list. This aspect is confusing because it seems to make no sense but it is useful for people wanting to make tracking identity difficult.

How do I look that up on Tradehill? It looks like they only track "recent transactions"... I see no page about full transactions made.
Meni Rosenfeld
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1054

View Profile WWW
June 27, 2011, 05:44:38 PM

How do I look that up on Tradehill? It looks like they only track "recent transactions"... I see no page about full transactions made.
On the top of the page, there is "Welcome" and your login. Clicking on it leads you to your profile which should have a complete list of the transactions. I'm not sure they display the address used for withdrawal though.

1EofoZNBhWQ3kxfKnvWkhtMns4AivZArhr   |   Who am I?   |   bitcoin-otc WoT
Bitcoil - Exchange bitcoins for ILS (thread)   |   Israel Bitcoin community homepage (thread)
Analysis of Bitcoin Pooled Mining Reward Systems (thread, summary)  |   PureMining - Infinite-term, deterministic mining bond
KorJax (OP)

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 08:19:08 PM

They don't Sad
Meni Rosenfeld
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1054

View Profile WWW
June 28, 2011, 04:30:11 AM

They don't Sad
Then contact them, ask to which address it was sent. Look it up in blockexplorer. Find the wallet containing it.

1EofoZNBhWQ3kxfKnvWkhtMns4AivZArhr   |   Who am I?   |   bitcoin-otc WoT
Bitcoil - Exchange bitcoins for ILS (thread)   |   Israel Bitcoin community homepage (thread)
Analysis of Bitcoin Pooled Mining Reward Systems (thread, summary)  |   PureMining - Infinite-term, deterministic mining bond
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: