Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 06:11:27 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Where did my bitcoin go? Maybe I just don't know how to use program?  (Read 3061 times)
KorJax (OP)

Activity: 62
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 12:12:23 AM

Okay wondering this for a while now. I transferred from Tradehill 1 BTC to my bitcoin account about a week ago. I copied the "Your Bitcoin Address" field, pasted it into the appropreate withdraw line from Tradehill and sent the funds to said address.

Funny thing is, my amount was withdrawn from my Tradehill funds, but I still have a 0 wallet balance according to the program. I've never used it before so I wasn't sure if I had to do something in order to connect to recieve the transaction before it shows up in my wallet.

Anyone got any light on why this is happening?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
CurbsideProphet

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 12:18:02 AM

When you open the Bitcoin app, at the bottom next to connections, how many blocks does it say?  If it's low (under 100,000) you probably need to leave the app open for a while.

1ProphetnvP8ju2SxxRvVvyzCtTXDgLPJV
KorJax (OP)

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 12:19:55 AM

At 133,000 currently. Didn't know I had to leave it open for a while in order for me to get anything, thanks for the info.
CurbsideProphet

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 12:24:09 AM

At 133,000 currently. Didn't know I had to leave it open for a while in order for me to get anything, thanks for the info.

Yup.  Check the blockexplorer. Once you pass your block number you should see it show up.

1ProphetnvP8ju2SxxRvVvyzCtTXDgLPJV
dooglus
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1330

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 12:30:43 AM

Yup.  Check the blockexplorer. Once you pass your block number you should see it show up.

You don't have to leave it open to 'get anything'.  You own the BTC whether you run your program or not.  It's just that it won't show up in your program until your program has downloaded the block which says you now own the BTC.  There are about 133,433 blocks at the moment, and about 6 new ones are made each hour.

Just-Dice                 ██             
          ██████████         
      ██████████████████     
  ██████████████████████████ 
██████████████████████████████
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
   Play or Invest                 ██             
          ██████████         
      ██████████████████     
  ██████████████████████████ 
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
   1% House Edge
lonestranger

Activity: 115

I like long walks on the beach, shaving my head...

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 12:36:42 AM

Is it possible you moved the original wallet.dat file? If you moved the original wallet.dat file that would also explain why no bitcoin has arrived.
KorJax (OP)

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 12:59:33 AM

Actually, I did. In effort to have increased security I have my Wallet.dat file point to another directory per the command line:

-datadir=F:\(DIRECTORY)

I just don't want it inside my C:/ drive for security reasons, and because that drive is dedicated to my OS.
saadtariq30

Activity: 107

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 01:19:40 AM

turn off the program, move back the original wallet file, check the balance, encrypt and backup the wallet file and delete it from the bitcoin directory Smiley
KorJax (OP)

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 01:24:23 AM

Oh wow the orignal bitcoin folder is almost 500mb

I can't have that on my C/ drive where my OS is, I don't have that kind of space to push around, only enough for the OS and essential programs :\

EDIT: I did what you said, and still at 0 balance plus my bitcoin address is now different... doesn't look good...
saadtariq30

Activity: 107

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 01:26:31 AM

just backup the wallet.dat file..no need to back up whole folder..let the other files stay there..
lonestranger

Activity: 115

I like long walks on the beach, shaving my head...

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 01:30:00 AM

I can't have that on my C/ drive where my OS is, I don't have that kind of space to push around, only enough for the OS and essential programs :\

EDIT: I did what you said, and still at 0 balance plus my bitcoin address is now different... doesn't look good...

The bitcoin client changes addresses (keys) automatically, though I thought it happens after receiving coins. But IF you are using the original wallet.dat (to which you sent that coin) it may take a while before you see the coin received, particularly if that happened a while ago.
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
June 27, 2011, 02:28:52 AM

A wallet makes new keys, but never gets rid of old ones. If you don't see the address the coin was sent to in your address book then you have the wrong wallet file. If you moved the old wallet file when you backed it up a new one was created in it's place and you need to put the original back.

Did you put the address into blockexplorer.com to see if the transaction actually happened?

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
BkkCoins

Activity: 784
Merit: 1009

firstbits:1MinerQ

View Profile WWW
June 27, 2011, 03:41:45 AM

Definately plunk your address into blockexplorer.com and have it check for a transaction on your address. You'll see the block #. Then make sure your bitcoin app has at least that block count loaded. I've noticed that near the upper end they load much slower than the lower count ones. Until that block has been grabbed by your bitcoin app it won't know about the transaction.

Hopefully you didn't enter a wrong address when you did the transaction. AFAIK that would put funds in someones else's hands or a void address which can't be claimed.

KorJax (OP)

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 04:23:10 AM

Wow pretty sure I just got jipped then.

My 1 BTC is completely missing from my address according to block explorer... for some reason it seems like my address changed since the last time I've used it, or Tradehill completely threw away my BTC

This whole thing seems compeltely unreliable.... jesus fucking christ. Why the hell is my address different now than it was before? I sent this data in a week ago and it still isn't here, now I have a different address and I'm still jipped of about $14 USD worth of bitcoin. Fuck this!
bitcon
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1008

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 04:28:30 AM

yeah this sorta thing is something that could lead to bitcoins demise. just be happy you only lost 1 BTC instead of hundreds like some.
Garrett Burgwardt

Activity: 406
Merit: 256

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 04:29:52 AM

What address did you withdraw to. Not what shows in the client, what did you put into trade hill.

Put that address into the explorer, not whatever it shows now. Moving around wallet files can change that (though to be clear, you still have control over all addresses you have the wallet files for).

Meni Rosenfeld
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1054

View Profile WWW
June 27, 2011, 04:31:40 AM

My 1 BTC is completely missing from my address according to block explorer... for some reason it seems like my address changed since the last time I've used it, or Tradehill completely threw away my BTC

This whole thing seems compeltely unreliable.... jesus fucking christ. Why the hell is my address different now than it was before? I sent this data in a week ago and it still isn't here, now I have a different address and I'm still jipped of about $14 USD worth of bitcoin. Fuck this!
You don't have an address, you have several addresses. The client automatically generates new addresses to help you preserve your anonymity.

In the client go to "Address Book", "Receiving" and try to find there the address you used with Tradehill. Look at it with block explorer. If it's not there you need to contact Tradehill about this. Make sure you are using the correct wallet file.

If the money appears in blockexplorer and not in the client, and you have all blocks, run bitcoin with the -rescan parameter.

1EofoZNBhWQ3kxfKnvWkhtMns4AivZArhr   |   Who am I?   |   bitcoin-otc WoT
Bitcoil - Exchange bitcoins for ILS (thread)   |   Israel Bitcoin community homepage (thread)
Analysis of Bitcoin Pooled Mining Reward Systems (thread, summary)  |   PureMining - Infinite-term, deterministic mining bond
qualia8

Activity: 237
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 04:32:30 AM

... aaaannd this is why things have to get simpler and simpler and more user friendly.  It is definitely too soon to start running tv ads, etc.
ItsASpork

Activity: 82

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 04:35:54 AM

... aaaannd this is why things have to get simpler and simpler and more user friendly.
Not really, you just have to not be pants on head retarded.

Feeling Generous? 16Zo6werKP4akoTfHc9P5XXBGS2jFqeuSt
Support the Bitcoin Faucet
BkkCoins

Activity: 784
Merit: 1009

firstbits:1MinerQ

View Profile WWW
June 27, 2011, 04:39:47 AM

... aaaannd this is why things have to get simpler and simpler and more user friendly.  It is definitely too soon to start running tv ads, etc.

This is true - you need a diploma in Bitcoinology to understand what's going on. Not exactly that bad but it's not going to work for your average Ma & Pa type user. It isn't that hard but it involves things that are unfamiliar to most users expecting it to be like an ATM machine.

I think they would be better to keep a single address by default in Bitcoin, and have it as an advanced option to assign new addresses each receipt transaction. Anyone who read up on and cares about anonymity could enable that mode easily but it wouldn't confuse users starting out.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: