Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 06:23:22 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Do ICO's need licenses?  (Read 2937 times)
Tulen1990 (OP)

Activity: 222
Merit: 104

View Profile
October 21, 2017, 05:21:14 PM

Lately there's been a lot of talk about regulation. What about ICO's?

What do you see with the ones complying with governments? It seems to be a big play longevity wise.

For ex. Unikrn got their Malta license, making esports fiat wagering legal in most of europe. Does this pave the way for future ico's? Should this be an indicator of a good, trustworthy ico?

More info: https://www.coindesk.com/regulated-cryptocurrency-betting-just-got-big-boost-europe/

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
bornforfreedom

Activity: 203
Merit: 101

View Profile
October 21, 2017, 06:08:15 PM

I think it can be a big advantage since a lot of gvmts are indecisive, but once they make a decision, most ico's will be affected if not wiped out. I think a lot of people don't realize how volatile ico's can be and very dependent on legislation and laws.

Second, looked into unikoin and the license combines with Mark Cuban and advisors made then a trustworthy ico in my book.
Irvinn

Activity: 966
Merit: 104

View Profile
October 21, 2017, 07:44:18 PM

I think that licensing of the ICO process can play a rather positive role in reducing the risks of fraud, because the whole team will be identified before that. The main thing is that the state does not interfere in the technical side of this process and does not give its conclusion about the need to implement a particular project.
GreenBits
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1048

View Profile
October 21, 2017, 10:23:43 PM

What do you see with the ones complying with governments? It seems to be a big play longevity wise.

For ex. Unikrn got their Malta license, making esports fiat wagering legal in most of europe. Does this pave the way for future ico's? Should this be an indicator of a good, trustworthy ico?

More info: https://www.coindesk.com/regulated-cryptocurrency-betting-just-got-big-boost-europe/

it depends on the type of token, and the industry. it seems like those guys got a license to gamble/esport; i wonder will it be required to register as a fund collecting entity with ones repsective government. these ICOs have undoubtedly been used to wash tainted coins; fuck a mixer, you can get a whole different type of coin, with little to nothing in the way of AML/KYC. if people are going to be conduits for this much money, they will have to behave as money transmitters, as essentially they are acting as a currency exchanger.

we wont like bitcoin so much after they have their way with it. but, it will be ready for mainstream and here to stay once that happens.

but security tokens need a license so far. utility tokens, not so much.
chaoscoinz

Activity: 1151
Merit: 260

☆Gaget-Pack☆

View Profile
October 21, 2017, 10:27:53 PM

I think that it is more or less, up to the governing bodies of each country,  state, or province to decide exactly what criteria, and area these offerings fit into. In the U.S, depending on how the token is issued, and what terms are given by the company offering the tokens, an ICO could end up being held as a security token, which would acquire you to be an accredited investor, in order to participate in the offering, but you see, each countries laws will vary.
   I think that regulations should be passed in order to give more guidance on how to proceed legally through these workings.

countryfree
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1047

Your country may be your worst enemy

View Profile
October 21, 2017, 11:03:41 PM

I'm convinced ICOs will be regulated everywhere very soon, the same way IPOs are. It's only logic since both offerings pursue the same goal (raise capital for a new business), from the same kind of investors (you and me).

I used to be a citizen and a taxpayer. Those days are long gone.
Sir Cross

Activity: 336
Merit: 106

View Profile
October 21, 2017, 11:43:28 PM

I'm convinced ICOs will be regulated everywhere very soon, the same way IPOs are. It's only logic since both offerings pursue the same goal (raise capital for a new business), from the same kind of investors (you and me).

I guess it would depend on the country and their legal view of bitcoin. Some may legalize bitcoin but would not require licenses for ICOs because they have not recognized or legalized it. In the future, jurisdictions will stipulate or make some regulations for ICOs because of the numerous scams and frauds. It is the duty of the state to protect its citizens so actions such as this will be done. I agree that it will most probably be regulated just like how IPOs are.

bubblebit

Activity: 308
Merit: 251

View Profile
October 22, 2017, 02:00:29 AM

If they want more investors they definitely need some licences. It is more of marketing strategy and those legal actions is worth the effort to convinced those who are doubtful on ICO since the image of it is being painted black when the huge of its kind is scamming here.

It also shows the seriousness and sincerity of the team behind it and that extra layer of assurance can make a big difference.
Yuhee

Activity: 546
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 22, 2017, 02:14:31 AM

If they want more investors they definitely need some licences. It is more of marketing strategy and those legal actions is worth the effort to convinced those who are doubtful on ICO since the image of it is being painted black when the huge of its kind is scamming here.

It also shows the seriousness and sincerity of the team behind it and that extra layer of assurance can make a big difference.

I am not generalizing all but having a license is not always a basis for a legit business. And yes it depends on marketing strategy and offcourse long term investment. it is not always their is profit on the earlier days of the company. It is not also easy for new cryptocurrencies to rise above others are their are releases almost everyday. And sometimes doing the same thing over and over is kind of boredom and thats when they would start doing something shady.
bubblebit

Activity: 308
Merit: 251

View Profile
October 22, 2017, 03:14:09 AM

I am not generalizing all but having a license is not always a basis for a legit business. And yes it depends on marketing strategy and offcourse long term investment. it is not always their is profit on the earlier days of the company. It is not also easy for new cryptocurrencies to rise above others are their are releases almost everyday. And sometimes doing the same thing over and over is kind of boredom and thats when they would start doing something shady.

You have a point that license is not a basis for they’re legitimacy but the same point that to have one is more profitable than have nothing. In crypto world even we are intended to decentralized those who give bad light to it must present sincerity or security to they’re future investors.

Being boredom is not a reason to do things suspicious and shady as you mentioned that’s should be discourage. This ICO scamming should be stopped even before it start.
glowing10

Activity: 812
Merit: 142

View Profile
October 22, 2017, 05:09:35 AM

In coming time either among this, 2 things may happen firstly they may either ban totally ICO and they will not have any rights to raise money or else they will give licences and the company raising ICO will have to file for licence and once its being approved then only it can raise and might be the money would be deposited in the escrow account for safety reasons.
Immakillya

Activity: 560
Merit: 269

View Profile
October 22, 2017, 05:44:23 AM

There's no implemented rules about licensing ICOs yet. But hopefully government do this to protect investors from being scammed by these ICOs. From that, both sides will get benefits from it. ICOs will not be prohited once government issues license for them because they will probably comply with terms and regulations of the government. Investors will not be hesitant to spill their money from them because ICOs will be now monitored by the government. If they do something bad. They pay for that. They don't have yo ban ICOs. They just have to set parameters. So it's still under control. Just like exchanges.
veleten
Legendary

Activity: 2016
Merit: 1106

View Profile
October 22, 2017, 12:29:48 PM

no,they don't at the moment
that was on of the reasons for the China's ICO ban
there were no rules regulating them ,so the goverment decided to ban it altogether to prevent capital flight from the country
but seeing the  boom of the ICOs and the ever growing number of people involved in it
goverments will be forced to do something about it,regulating,banning etc. since there are too many scam ICOs out there 

▄▄████▄▄
      ▄▄███▀    ▀███▄▄
   ▄████████▄▄▄▄████████▄
  ▀██████████████████████▀
▐█▄▄ ▀▀████▀    ▀████▀▀ ▄▄██
▐█████▄▄ ▀██▄▄▄▄██▀ ▄▄██▀  █
▐██ ▀████▄▄ ▀██▀ ▄▄████  ▄██
▐██  ███████▄  ▄████████████
▐██  █▌▐█ ▀██  ██████▀  ████
▐██  █▌▐█  ██  █████  ▄█████
 ███▄ ▌▐█  ██  ████████████▀
  ▀▀████▄ ▄██  ██▀  ████▀▀
      ▀▀█████  █  ▄██▀▀
         ▀▀██  ██▀▀
.WINDICE.████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
      ▄████████▀
     ▄████████
    ▄███████▀
   ▄███████▀
  ▄█████████████
 ▄████████████▀
▄███████████▀
     █████▀
    ████▀
   ████
  ███▀
 ██▀
█▀

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
     ▄▄█████▄   ▄▄▄▄
    ██████████▄███████▄
  ▄████████████████████▌
 ████████████████████████
▐████████████████████████▌
 ▀██████████████████████▀
     ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
     ▄█     ▄█     ▄█
   ▄██▌   ▄██▌   ▄██▌
   ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀
       ▄█     ▄█
     ▄██▌   ▄██▌
     ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
                   ▄█▄
                 ▄█████▄
                █████████▄
       ▄       ██ ████████▌
     ▄███▄    ▐█▌▐█████████
   ▄███████▄   ██ ▀███████▀
 ▄███████████▄  ▀██▄▄████▀
▐█ ▄███████████    ▀▀▀▀
█ █████████████▌      ▄
█▄▀████████████▌    ▄███▄
▐█▄▀███████████    ▐█▐███▌
 ▀██▄▄▀▀█████▀      ▀█▄█▀
   ▀▀▀███▀▀▀
████
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
  ██
████

▄▄████████▄▄
▄████████████████▄
▄████████████████████▄
███████████████▀▀  █████
████████████▀▀      ██████
▐████████▀▀   ▄▄     ██████▌
▐████▀▀    ▄█▀▀     ███████▌
▐████████ █▀        ███████▌
████████ █ ▄███▄   ███████
████████████████▄▄██████
▀████████████████████▀
▀████████████████▀
▀▀████████▀▀
iePlay NoweiI
I
I
I
[/t
savushkinTA

Activity: 192
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 22, 2017, 01:32:26 PM

I think that in the future this will heip to avoid fraud
Btc4Proxies

Activity: 164
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 22, 2017, 08:41:42 PM

I think that licensing of the ICO process can play a rather positive role in reducing the risks of fraud, because the whole team will be identified before that. The main thing is that the state does not interfere in the technical side of this process and does not give its conclusion about the need to implement a particular project.

I agree with Irvinn. It will have a positive impact in terms of scams and such. And yea, if they don't interfere witht he technical aspect, that would great. However, to navigate that kind of path will be difficult as every ICO and token are different.

Seems to benefit unikoingold though. Their sale is 10 hours away from ending and they've already raised 111,000ETH. All the props to them for getting the license and raising this much tho
Tenderino

Activity: 336
Merit: 103

View Profile
October 22, 2017, 09:41:11 PM

I can not follow you here as Malta Gaming Authority issues only gambling licenses? Or requested Unikrn separately an ICO license at Malthese authorities or in other countries?

If ICOs need licenses depends on the laws of a country and there are surely a lot of countries that do not ask for licenses.
dunfida
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1129

View Profile
October 22, 2017, 09:51:31 PM

no,they don't at the moment
that was on of the reasons for the China's ICO ban
there were no rules regulating them ,so the goverment decided to ban it altogether to prevent capital flight from the country
but seeing the  boom of the ICOs and the ever growing number of people involved in it
goverments will be forced to do something about it,regulating,banning etc. since there are too many scam ICOs out there 
This is why they do really do propose such thing and China did able to make the first step which it did able to spark up the possibilities for ICO to be regulated in able for them to control specially on the funds of those investors came from their country.They cant stop the funds flowing out because investors do tend to invest on those ICO back in the past they do really saw on what would be the effects if this thing would still go further. Licensing would really have some advantages for those people who do really love the legality and yet it is somehow give assurance when it comes to security.

cvan

Activity: 125
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 22, 2017, 11:15:43 PM

I can not follow you here as Malta Gaming Authority issues only gambling licenses? Or requested Unikrn separately an ICO license at Malthese authorities or in other countries?

If ICOs need licenses depends on the laws of a country and there are surely a lot of countries that do not ask for licenses.

It's a gambling license I believe. I think what this brings to light is whether ico's should pursue licenses for validity and credibility.
And on the flipside, should governments/countries have qualifications for valid ico's.
Ccexicocartel

Activity: 207

View Profile
October 23, 2017, 02:04:43 AM

I think what's missing from ico's and them forming so quickly is regulation. Regardless there should be some third party or qualifications for ico's to pass before launching and 99% of them scamming people. It's too easy to scam people too. Make a legit looking whitepaper, build a nice custom site, and spread it like wildfire. No one does their research anyways. Licenses should exist.

I've been watching unikoin for weeks and it only looks better that they got their license. Gambling or not, they are killing it. Plus, getting more creidbility looks better for investors and just people in general. They cared enough to go get a license.
Bourbon44

Activity: 198

View Profile
October 23, 2017, 03:34:16 AM

In unikoingold's case, it helps them differentiate from their competition. Another factor I think is that they're such a big platform already, so they are just trying to be safe. Big players are the ones that move.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: