Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 02:21:57 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Good News: Avalon ASIC Samples shipped, (sorry for the panic over the weekend)  (Read 4420 times)
ashaw596

Activity: 141
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 09, 2013, 08:08:16 PM

Well, at least they shipped some chips.....

I really don't think these companies estimate demand very well (or care about their customers).

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unacceptable
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 09, 2013, 08:21:20 PM

Well,Steamboat says :

Avalon has sent an email stating the samples have shipped. They have also stated each address is only eligible for one batch's worth of sample chips. As soon as the chips arrive, they will be sent to BkkCoins to further development of the Klondike project.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=192916.msg2422470#msg2422470

Whoo hoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Grin Cool

I'll die laughing if I get a Klondike before my BFL 30GH unit!!!!!!!!!  Cheesy

What would YOU do for a Klondike  Huh  Cool

"If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day long, you are the asshole."  -Raylan Givens
Got GOXXED ?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KiqRpPiJAU&feature=youtu.be
"An ASIC being late is perfectly normal, predictable, and legal..."Hashfast & BFL slogan Smiley
BkkCoins

Activity: 784
Merit: 1009

firstbits:1MinerQ

View Profile WWW
June 09, 2013, 11:15:58 PM

I'll just confirm that any info I uncover from testing sample chips will be made freely available. And time permitting if specific tests are requested I'll try to provide answers for them as long as I don't think that chip damage could occur due to testing, or that it interferes with finishing my own tests.

If I had to reduce testing to a level where I was comfortable saying "ok this works", I'd say 2 chips per bank and there is 2 banks on a K16 board, ie. 4 chips. This allows testing the ASIC chain, the result wire-ORing, and nonce range splitting between banks. Having more chips would not help much with testing stacking or multiple K16 chaining as those functions are independent. It possibly could help with detecting timing issues in the code under heavier utilization.

The primary reason to have more test chips would be to test the K16 under heavy power use and heat dissipation and I think that's useful, of course, but will have to be approached according to how many samples I end up receiving. Sure, more would be better and allow more complete testing such that board users/assemblers/mfrs can be more sure that some use conditions won't have problems. If I can't test everything I'll try what I can and probably simulate what I cannot.

(I'll cross post this in the Klondike thread for completeness)

pikeadz

Activity: 238

View Profile
June 09, 2013, 11:16:59 PM

Why do these preorders always have to be such a clusterfuck?
itod
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1076

^ Will code for Bitcoins

View Profile
June 09, 2013, 11:55:35 PM

I was under impression that there are only two distinct designs developing right now, BkkCoins and burnin, and that all other developers are basically cloning their designs. Is this not true? Shouldn't it then be priority to get sample chips to these two? What is the point sending the same amount of sample chips to BkkCoins and some other guy who is waiting for BkkCoins to finish his testing and order the PCB following that design?
Unacceptable
Legendary

View Profile
June 09, 2013, 11:56:12 PM

This is nothing,you want to see a clusterfuck Huh Try 3 letters  Cheesy

"If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day long, you are the asshole."  -Raylan Givens
"An ASIC being late is perfectly normal, predictable, and legal..."Hashfast & BFL slogan Smiley
Unacceptable
Legendary

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 02:37:13 AM

This is nothing,you want to see a clusterfuck Huh Try 3 letters  Cheesy

K N C?  Roll Eyes

lol i kid i kid  Cheesy

Very close!! Thanks for playing  Cheesy

dan99

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 03:19:58 AM

I was under impression that there are only two distinct designs developing right now, BkkCoins and burnin, and that all other developers are basically cloning their designs. Is this not true? Shouldn't it then be priority to get sample chips to these two? What is the point sending the same amount of sample chips to BkkCoins and some other guy who is waiting for BkkCoins to finish his testing and order the PCB following that design?

I have to agreed on this ...this 2 individuals should be the primary guys with more sample chips Smiley
Kapz786

Activity: 697
Merit: 503

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 03:21:49 AM

Cmon guys please reward BKK and burnin for there hard work - most of the other clones are scammers who haven't spent any time contributing as much as these 2 guys
Hiroaki

Activity: 404
Merit: 270

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 03:24:21 AM

Indeed very dissapointing...

Same S**T as usual...

Silvas

Activity: 82
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 06:08:55 AM

I think the thing about this that strikes me the most is...
Presuming that they're ordering each order of 10k from TSMC as they come in, aren't sample chips customarily provided by the foundries for customer validation per order?
What is Avalon doing with those sample chips if they're only delivering 1 batch of samples per shipping address, even if that shipping address has put in 5+ separate orders?

Plus, without sample chips from each batch to test, who's to say that 1 batch is fine but the rest of the batches are absolute crap with tons of failed chips?  I haven't seen anything indicating that Avalon is providing any type of guarantee at all about chips working.  Is there any recourse if a batch of 10k chips has a huge failure rate, like say 25% or higher?
Granted, 30 chips isn't exactly a large sample size to test, but if they provided those per batch, and the devs saw them all being duds, we'd at least have an indication that there might be a problem with the batch and be able to try to communicate with Avalon before the whole order was delivered, in order to see if anything could be done to resolve the situation

Then again, we don't know if the sample chips being provided are coming from Avalon themselves, or if they're part of the order from the foundry that the foundry is releasing to Avalon to validate and they're sending on to us.
mtbitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 876
Merit: 1000

Etherscan.io

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 07:04:42 AM

I have to agreed on this ...this 2 individuals should be the primary guys with more sample chips Smiley

+1 on this. I think the chip delivery should be prioritized so that both of these guys get the bulk of the chips first

EtherScan::Ethereum Block Explorer | BlockScan::Coming Soon
giorgiomassa

Activity: 222

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 08:12:48 AM

In order to help out other community driven projects and given that only 30 ASICs samples will be shipped to zefir, we are opting out from the projects list since we will be getting our own batch of 30 samples.
Bicknellski

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 08:24:49 AM
Last edit: June 10, 2013, 08:51:55 AM by Bicknellski

Lesson learned... order with a different name each batch you buy.

Dogie trust abuse, spam, bullying, conspiracy posts & insults to forum members. Ask the mods or admins to move Dogie's spam or off topic stalking posts to the link above.
BitSyncom

Activity: 336
Merit: 251

Avalon ASIC Team

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 08:26:58 AM

seems to be some miscommunication here.

the people handling this just took all the people who ordered, and sent them 30 chips a person since they finally arrived, I've spoken to them and this issue is addressed, so all should be fine.

of course, the 30 chip per 10,000 rule still holds, it's just they'll show up later.

I mean it's kinda silly to do per address since people would just get more addresses or split their orders into single 10,000 orders...

Noogsy

Activity: 190

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 08:29:31 AM

Let's just hope they wont ship the chip orders before "Batch#3 delivered + 3 months".

---
Cheers
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1226

Away on an extended break

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 08:31:06 AM

the people handling this just took all the people who ordered, and sent them 30 chips a person since they finally arrived, I've spoken to them and this issue is addressed, so all should be fine.

of course, the 30 chip per 10,000 rule still holds, it's just they'll show up later.

I mean it's kinda silly to do per address since people would just get more addresses or split their orders into single 10,000 orders...

Awesome! Now when will the remaining amount of chips be shipped? I'm still getting the same old message in the account page...
ujka

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 08:33:05 AM

+1 on this. I think the chip delivery should be prioritized so that both of these guys get the bulk of the chips first
+1.
Developers of original new designs should get the sample chips first, then assemblers.
dan99

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 08:35:24 AM

Great the Sifu has spoken, every 10,000 chip will get 30 sample chip .. probably maybe wait another week, that all Smiley
ujka

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 08:38:39 AM
Last edit: June 10, 2013, 08:53:50 AM by ujka

See, just miscommunication!
And we all got upset. On sunday!   Smiley
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: