Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 12:43:06 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [SOLD] Selling fully configured 560 Mhash rig - $380  (Read 1985 times)
Adam (OP)

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 25, 2011, 08:12:15 PM
Last edit: June 27, 2011, 02:02:27 AM by Adam

This item has been sold.  I have another rig still available though: http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=22647.0

I'm looking to slowly wind down my mining operation as I am moving in a month and don't want to bring it all with me.  I'll start by selling one rig.  Here are the stats and approximate retail prices:

APEVIA JAVA ATX-JV650W 650W - $55
ASRock M3A770DE AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard - $60
G.SKILL NS 2GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model - $20
AMD Sempron 140 Sargas 2.7GHz Socket AM3 45W Single-Core Processor - $38
2x Sapphire Radeon 5830s - $220 new if you can find them, more like $300 now
4gb flash drive for OS - $8

If you add up all the parts it would cost you around $480 to get a computer like this online, then you would need to spend hours configuring it.  This has ubuntu 11.04 preinstalled on a flash drive, with SSH enabled for remote access, and a script to launch the miners automatically upon power up.  All you need to do is plug it in and modify the script to point at your pool.

It has worked perfectly for the past few weeks with no downtime except from when I was moving parts from one location to another.  The radeon 5830s put out a constant 280 mhash each, so a total of 560 for the rig.  I did flash the BIOS on the cards to run at 925mhz clock and 300mhz memory, so that likely voided the warranty - be aware of that when purchasing.

My price is $380+ shipping if you want everything but the case.  The computer is currently open air, but if you want me to ship it in a case with a test bench add $40 (this will also increase the shipping cost).  I have the original boxes for everything except the cases (I really don't want to mail those, but I will if you pay for them).  I think they work better open air anyway.

This will ship from Maine in the US.  If you're interested let me know your zip code and I can come up with a quote for shipping.  I'll accept paypal for a 2.5% fee, bitcoins, Mt. Gox, or any other popular payment method you know of.  Let me know if you have any questions.

BattleTitans.io  ▼  Mobile PvP Arena of the Future  ▼  BattleTitans.io
The Most Promising ICO in October    [Join Now!]

▼  [FB]  ▬  [TW]  ▬  [TG]  ▬▬▬  [YU]  ▼

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Adam (OP)

View Profile
June 25, 2011, 10:02:59 PM

It's actually using a different PSU than i originally posted, so that's been updated the price has been dropped by $20.  If you want to calculate shipping on your own, plan on a 15 pound package coming from zip code 04103.  I'll do USPS, Fedex, or UPS at the actual shipping cost.  Also added a pic of the current, kind of ghetto setup, but it works fine and it will be boxed and mailed to you to set up as you wish.

It's a lot more if you want the full case, so just buy one from Amazon or Newegg for $30 or so with free shipping.

AngelusWebDesign

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 26, 2011, 01:27:17 AM

55+60+20+38+220+8
=$401

How nice of you to give us a $21 discount off what you paid retail, considering you've been mining with it for who knows how many weeks now  Wink

And you never said you *paid* $401 for these parts; just that it's their retail value.

Seriously, it seems like you're getting the good end of the deal here.

Most of the "bargain" you offer ("Would cost you $520 online") consists of the Sapphire 5830's, which you paid $220 but are being scalped to gullible idiots on eBay for $160 apiece now.

If you subtract the video cards, you're offering us EXACTLY what we could get from NewEgg today (actually, NewEgg gives me free 2-day shipping via ShopRunner). And no offense, but please don't think you're offering us a service in setting it all up -- most of us are pretty handy with PCs, or we wouldn't be mining.

Basically, your deal is "I'll give you 2 5830's for what I paid, if you also give me what I paid for the other hardware." I guess that's fair in a way, but it's no "steal".

Some of us don't consider the 5830 worth more than $120 or so. So your $110 price on the 5830 is not "$50 off" the ridiculous price of $160, because $160 for such a card is just that -- ridiculous.

Your rig gets 560 MH/s? That's .37 BTC a day, according to Deepbit's estimator. According to my calculations, it would take 80 days to pay off that rig. That's going by the current price of BTC. Of course, some might say "BTC will go up", but someone else could say "they could go down". It's safest to go with the present price. But 80 days is a *long* way out. It's hard to know where Bitcoin will be in 3 months.

Just wanted to point these things out to prospective buyers, so no one is taken advantage of.

It's not a horrible deal, but it's also no "bargain". I'm sure someone will buy it; you're basically paying for the Sapphire's.

Sincerely,

Matthew
Adam (OP)

View Profile
June 26, 2011, 01:39:32 AM

What I paid, or for that matter the MSRP of parts you can't buy anymore, is not really relevant.  I'm offering a working rig for about a 25% discount compared to what you could actually buy today.  It works out to under 68 cents per mhash/sec.  

And for the casual miner just looking to get into the market I have to think there is considerable value in having this already configured.  I'd say about 10 hours of work went into getting everything working properly so we could clone the config to other machines, and that definitely has value.

Oh, and your BTC calculator assumes a 10% fee, which I can't imagine anyone really pays.  It will actually earn you more like .41BTC/day if you use a pool with no fee, or .40 if you use deepbit proportional like me.

AngelusWebDesign

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 26, 2011, 02:32:59 AM

True, you could make more with proportional or proportional & 0% fee.
I doubt Deepbit achieved its current size -- 45% of the entire Bitcoin hashing network -- through sex appeal.
I think the PPS option had something to do with it -- so it's not too ridiculous to use that in calculations. (As an aside -- someone should do a poll: "Are you doing PPS mining?")

Anyhow, I'm trying to update my own thinking on "what's what" for 6/25/11.

I bought a used gamer tower off Craigslist for $350. It had a 5850 in it. It had a $290 CPU in it, 4 GB RAM, as well as a 500 GB hard drive, DVD drive, and a Corsair 650W power supply. They threw in 4 GB of DDR2 DIMMS, which I used in some other machines.
Overall, an awesome deal -- but then I paid $180 for a barebones tower (mobo, Opteron, 2 GB RAM, no PSU, nothing else!) with 2 PCI-E slots that don't like 58XX series Radeons. So I got a horrible deal there. I guess they balance out.

Anyhow, for my purposes (a miner), your deal isn't THAT different from what I got (above). It doesn't have an HD, DVD drive, case, etc. but of course that isn't necessary for mining. Your system wouldn't be a good deal at all for a non-miner.

BUT -- I did that aforementioned deal (the $350 gamer rig) a few weeks ago (at least 2 "difficulty levels" ago). So I've already made back some of the $350. If I bought the same system today, it would take twice as long to pay off.

Now the gamer rig would sell to a gamer easily for $600 if I was patient. BUT the system you offer is clearly just good for miners. You didn't even bump up $5 to a 3.0 GHz Athlon II like I did ($36). Your system is going to have 0 resale value after mining is gone (assuming it will ever be gone) -- except the video cards of course.

It got me thinking -- is it still economically feasible to buy new rigs -- even low-end, barebones, "just what I need for mining" ones? I spent some time yesterday researching video cards online; looking at prices and figuring out ROI. The best cards now (with rebates, free games, etc.) are coming out to 55 days to payoff. And that's with proportional pools Wink

So if it's difficult to buy any new cards at brand new/retail price, how much harder would it be to break even
A) if you had to buy a whole SYSTEM
B) If you're paying eBay "Bitcoin mania" prices for your card

Hopefully the mining situation will look up soon -- I'd like to see that famous chart that shows the Profitability of Mining -- I bet it shows we're at quite a dip right now, especially with the BTC at $15.

Matthew
Adam (OP)

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 02:03:47 AM

This has now been sold, I had a couple people PM me about it so if you were still debating check my other posts.  I'll be posting another similar rig with 2 cards later this week, and I also currently have one with 4 cards for sale that does 1120 mhash: http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=22647.0

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: