Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 04:33:19 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to restore old Armory paper Backup  (Read 350 times)
halvardssm (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 22, 2017, 12:48:39 PM

Hello everyone! I am new here so tell me if im in the wrong place.

Some years ago I mined BitCoin and used Armory as my wallet. Now however, I only have my paper backup but unfortunately my Mac refuses to open the program. I tried to install a virtual machine and after a lot of work I managed to open Armory, but then the program was offline, and I could not retrieve any information than what I already had. After searching around I figured out that I have to download the entire blockchain (100GB+) for it to work, but that will not work for me.

So my question is:
1. Is there any way for me to check my balance without downloading the entire blockchain?
2. Can I transfer my balance to an online wallet?
3. Does anyone know how to open Armory on High Sierra?

Any answers will be highly appreciated  Smiley

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: mining our own business since 2009" -- Pieter Wuille
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
aplistir

Activity: 378
Merit: 197

View Profile
October 22, 2017, 01:06:04 PM

Some years ago I mined BitCoin and used Armory as my wallet. Now however, I only have my paper backup but unfortunately my Mac refuses to open the program. I tried to install a virtual machine and after a lot of work I managed to open Armory, but then the program was offline, and I could not retrieve any information than what I already had. After searching around I figured out that I have to download the entire blockchain (100GB+) for it to work, but that will not work for me.

So my question is:
1. Is there any way for me to check my balance without downloading the entire blockchain?
2. Can I transfer my balance to an online wallet?
3. Does anyone know how to open Armory on High Sierra?

Any answers will be highly appreciated  Smiley

What do you mean by a paper backup? Do you have your private key? If you do you can use some light client, which does not require you to download and sync the blockchain, and just import your keys to it.
Eg. Electrum is a good choice.

Once you have your private keys, you can transfer your coins anywhere you want to.

My Address: 121f7zb2U4g9iM4MiJTDhEzqeZGHzq5wLh
halvardssm (OP)

View Profile
October 22, 2017, 01:29:26 PM

Why wouldn't it work to download the whole blockchain, maybe you can do it in steps, 30GB this month, etc. I honestly think it's not possible for you to restore your coins withouth getting the program to sync with the network, because that's basically what it's doing when it gets the chain.

I use a lightweight laptop without the massive amount of space needed  Grin

What do you mean by a paper backup? Do you have your private key? If you do you can use some light client, which does not require you to download and sync the blockchain, and just import your keys to it.

Once you have your private keys, you can transfer your coins anywhere you want to.

I have the Root Key, but I am not certain on how to use it. Do i just import it into Electrum, in which case how? Smiley
halvardssm (OP)

View Profile
October 22, 2017, 01:51:50 PM

I somehow managed to figure it out! Anyway, thank you for replying Smiley
cr1776
Legendary

Activity: 4018
Merit: 1299

View Profile
October 22, 2017, 06:41:51 PM

Why wouldn't it work to download the whole blockchain, maybe you can do it in steps, 30GB this month, etc. I honestly think it's not possible for you to restore your coins withouth getting the program to sync with the network, because that's basically what it's doing when it gets the chain.

I use a lightweight laptop without the massive amount of space needed  Grin

I have the Root Key, but I am not certain on how to use it. Do i just import it into Electrum, in which case how? Smiley

For future reference since it sounds like you figured it out, you can always use pruning which will reduce the space required, but not the time or bandwidth.
halvardssm (OP)

View Profile
October 22, 2017, 06:58:34 PM

I figured out that the wallet in question was holding so little bitcoins that i could have saved myself for the hassle  Grin Thank you anyway for helping me, and i guess i will switch wallets in the future  Wink
JAM4791

Activity: 1

View Profile
September 14, 2018, 04:37:04 PM

I somehow managed to figure it out! Anyway, thank you for replying Smiley
I have the same problem. How did you manage to resolve it?
bob123
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 2481

View Profile WWW
September 14, 2018, 04:42:29 PM

I have the same problem. How did you manage to resolve it?

You might want to create a new thread with all the necessary information.

What problem do you exactly have ? You can't open armory on your mac ?
Is/was it installed ? Did you change anything with your system configuration?

A lot of information are necessary to fix your problem. Start off with the basics (OS, program versions, description of what happened, etc.. ).

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: