Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 05:57:21 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Friend gives wallet seed to stranger and bitcoins disappear from his wallet  (Read 927 times)
xenomorphe1

Activity: 798
Merit: 103

View Profile
October 23, 2017, 12:32:26 PM

I would say: never trust someone. Would you give or lend your wallet with money inside? I think no. So it is also valable with electronic wallet.
I hope the police can help him recover the fund. But i am afraid that it will be very difficult... But as they have some pictures or video of this person, there is a chance they can catch him one day.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
meliodas

Activity: 742
Merit: 329

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
October 23, 2017, 01:52:28 PM

A friend who asked for instructions on how to use certain features of his wallet, was apparently tricked into divulging his seed to a stranger, and now his 2.6 btc are missing from the wallet, and so is the stranger. Does he have any recourse?

In choosing a bitcoin wallet, you need to consider a lot of factors, such as security, convenience and accessibility. I choose my wallet base on my country because it is much accessible if the wallet is usable in my own country to buy stuff.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
YoBit AirDrop $| 
Get 700 YoDollars for Free!
🏆
Rahar02

Activity: 910
Merit: 523

View Profile
October 23, 2017, 02:04:27 PM

Going forward, my friend tells me he will buy more bitcoin, but be more careful next time. Right now, he will be on the sidelines because he has no more money to invest.

He is thinking that this was a great kick in the balls from the stranger. What if btc goes to 10k, 25k, 50k? I told him he needs to hope for the best, however, expect the worst, and move on.

Really pain in his heart to lost BTC2.6
What kind of wallet did he used?
What kind of features did he asked?
How long your friend have been using/holding bitcoin? A newbie or layman could be tricked obviously.
But, the most funny part is: the stranger at a bar that is known to have a lot of bitcoiners around.
Hopefully police could manage to find this stranger which known to have a lot of bitcoins around.
mr.mister (OP)

Activity: 299
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 24, 2017, 09:13:22 AM

Going forward, my friend tells me he will buy more bitcoin, but be more careful next time. Right now, he will be on the sidelines because he has no more money to invest.

He is thinking that this was a great kick in the balls from the stranger. What if btc goes to 10k, 25k, 50k? I told him he needs to hope for the best, however, expect the worst, and move on.

How long your friend have been using/holding bitcoin? A newbie or layman could be tricked obviously.
But, the most funny part is: the stranger at a bar that is known to have a lot of bitcoiners around.
Hopefully police could manage to find this stranger which known to have a lot of bitcoins around.

He bought the bitcoins about 1 year ago.

He was using electrum wallet on his computer.

He wanted to know how to password protect the seed. The stranger apparently was next to him watching his computer.

He had been holding for one year, but never really paid much attention until recently. I would say he is considered a newbie.

Bitcoin Cash (BCASH) is NOT the real Bitcoin
mysacrifice

Activity: 364
Merit: 104

View Profile
October 24, 2017, 10:07:11 AM

I feel sorry for your friend. Wallet seed is most important thing for us in crypto market. We shouldn't give our seeds to anybody, be very cautious about it.
TheUltraElite
Legendary

Activity: 2870
Merit: 1221

Call your grandparents and tell them you love them

View Profile WWW
October 24, 2017, 10:14:03 AM

A friend who asked for instructions on how to use certain features of his wallet, was apparently tricked into divulging his seed to a stranger, and now his 2.6 btc are missing from the wallet, and so is the stranger. Does he have any recourse?

First of all one never share the private key or seed (passphrase) of their wallet with any stranger friend or foe. Because one who has control over the private keys has control over their bitcoins. Technically speaking the coins dont belong to anyone in particular but the owner of the private key. So if that is stolen then the coins are also lost. One can try contacting the owner of the addresses to where to bitcoins were sent but it is highly unlikely that they will return it even if they are found.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT
  CRYPTO   
FUTURES
 1,000x 
LEVERAGE
COMPETITIVE
    FEES    
 INSTANT 
EXECUTION
   TRADE NOW   
cryptomato

Activity: 180
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 24, 2017, 10:24:24 AM

That is very upset story. It is very very very important that you should not share your private key / wallet seed with anybody.
olubams

Activity: 798
Merit: 503

View Profile
October 24, 2017, 10:44:54 AM

For someone who was able to have 2.6 btc in his wallet and not understanding the basic security that even a newbie with even few satoshis know about. I therefore have nothing to say to your friend because losing your seed or private key is more or less losing the whole wallet itself. Its then serve as a lesson for everyone to be more careful in doing our transaction and the amount of information we want to divulge but for a stranger, its definitely out of it entirely.
MoonIsBlue

Activity: 406
Merit: 111

View Profile
October 24, 2017, 10:48:03 AM

What wallet did he use? Cause I know most wallets show an explicit message to never share the seed, this isn't like ticking off the terms & agreements on something without reading it...

Soros Shorts
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1617
Merit: 1011

View Profile
October 24, 2017, 10:54:40 AM

Years ago I used to trade bitcoins face-to-face at cafes (not bars). I NEVER took my main wallet with me. I always created a new wallet on a burner phone/laptop and filled it with just enough to cover the transaction.

Likewise if I wanted to learn about wallet features from strangers at a bar I would take a wallet with 0.026 BTC and leave the real wallet with 2.6 BTC at home.

admissions

Activity: 107
Merit: 12

View Profile
October 24, 2017, 10:56:52 AM

He bought the bitcoins about 1 year ago.

He was using electrum wallet on his computer.

He wanted to know how to password protect the seed. The stranger apparently was next to him watching his computer.

He had been holding for one year, but never really paid much attention until recently. I would say he is considered a newbie.

I believe electrum tells you to never show the seed to anyone. It comes up in a text box. It's unlucky and a very easy thing to do in public.
googlebtc

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 24, 2017, 11:05:49 AM

The hard thing when bitcoin we move to another wallet address, why should give seed to people he does not know, need to understand money will make everyone blind and forget even I also do not trust anyone even though he is my friend, learn from mistakes hope to be better keep money
jc89

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 24, 2017, 11:18:12 AM

No way is he getting those BTCs back. I think this matters should be addressed as it is very alarming that btc holders are losing their coins through hacking and stupidity (sorry for my word). This just shows that there are numerous btc holders out there who blindly jumped in on the train. They didn't realized how important btc security is until they've lost it. People should learn not to trust anybody and stupidly consult strangers who claimed to know how to solve their queries with their wallets. Asking for privkeys and seeds are automatically an alert sign and should raise very high suspicion.

▄▄▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▄▄
            ▄▄▓▓▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▓▓▓▓
          ▄▓▓░░░░░▄▄████████▄▄░░░░░░▓▓
        ▄▓▀░░░░██████████████████▄░░░▓▓▌
       ▓▓░░░▄██████████████████████▄░░░▓▓▄
      ▓░░░░█████████████████████████░░░░▓▄
     ▓▓░░░████████████████████████████▌░░░▓
    ▐▓░░░▓████████████░░░░░████████████░░░▓▓
    ▓▓░░░█████████████▓████▓███████████▌░░▐▓
    ▓▓░░░█████████████▓████████████████▌░░▐▓
    ▐▓░░░▓████████████▓░██░████████████░░░▓█
     ▓▓░░░████████████▓░██████████████▌░░░▓▌
      ▓▓░░░███████████▓██████████████▀░░░█▌
       ▓▓░░░░█████████▓▄███████████░░░░█▀
        ▓▓░░░░░██████████████████▀░░░░▓█
          ▓▓░░░░░░▀██████████▀▀░░░░░▓█▀
            ▀▓▓░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▓█▀
                ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓██▀▀▀
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███ BRIDGING MARKETS ███
AN ALL INCLUSIVE ECOSYSTEM
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██  Social Media  ██
██▄███████████████████▄
██████████████████████▌
██████████████████████▌
████████████     █▀███▌
███   █████        ▐██▌
███               ▐███▌
███               ████▌
████             █████▌
█████▄▄         ██████▌
████         ▄████████▌
██████████████████████▌
██████████████████████▌
▄▓█████████████████████▓▓▄
▓██████████████████████████▌
███████████████████▓▓▀  ▓██▌
██████████████▓▀▀       ▓██▌
████████▓▀▀      ▄█    ▐███▌
███▓▀        ▄▄▓▀      ▓███▌
███▓▄▄▄   ▄▓█▓         ████▌
████████▓ ▓▌          ▓████▌
█████████▓    ▄       █████▌
██████████▌ ▄▓██▓▄   ▐█████▌
███████████████████▓▓██████▌
▐██████████████████████████
  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
██
Hexah

Activity: 728
Merit: 265

View Profile
March 06, 2018, 12:55:40 AM

I think the possibility is zero because if he only intends to help then that wouldn't do. Maybe the stranger gets intrigue when he saw that the wallet has an amount on it. The only possible recourse is to identify the thief and file a case against him/her.
jayco25

Activity: 336
Merit: 106

View Profile
March 06, 2018, 01:00:22 AM

Do not talk to strangers, especially today many exploitative people and most victims are new in crypto. The wallet seed never gives anyone the key to your treasure that you just need to open. Avoid accessing sites as well as asking for your private key.

#Datarius

fuer44

Activity: 1638
Merit: 262

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2018, 01:07:25 AM

why would he give a wallet seed to a stranger? whatever the reason, wallet should not be given to stranger because wallet is the most important component to store bitcoin and altcoin.
sotoshihero

Activity: 850
Merit: 504

View Profile
March 06, 2018, 03:33:57 AM

why would he give a wallet seed to a stranger? whatever the reason, wallet should not be given to stranger because wallet is the most important component to store bitcoin and altcoin.

Sometimes we forgot and being careless without realizing we are giving the important key for our wallet. My advise is that, separate the wallet address from private keys / wallet hash / seed etc from the same file with our wallet. This way, we minimize the risk. Better yet, we have to encrypt the said file.
szpalata

Activity: 686
Merit: 253

View Profile
March 08, 2018, 01:58:40 PM

Sometimes we forgot and being careless without realizing we are giving the important key for our wallet. My advise is that, separate the wallet address from private keys / wallet hash / seed etc from the same file with our wallet. This way, we minimize the risk. Better yet, we have to encrypt the said file.

Carelessness is a human trait and no matter how hard we try to be perfect there may be some among us who will still fall short of this virtue and may still not be able to perfect thi and so i will recommend hardware wallets for such folks.
raymart0720

Activity: 322
Merit: 106

View Profile
May 25, 2018, 02:24:27 AM

With that big amount of coins!!!! .I WOULD NOT  let it to be like what you said asking for help to someone you doesen't know. Or giving information about your coins.. Lol
Bitcoin transaction is irreversible and the only way to track it is to find that man who stole all of his coins. LOL
The coins will not gone forever bu it will circulate and will store on another wallet where the man placed it
BarlowHayden

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 28, 2018, 10:05:37 AM

Would you ever give your keys to your house to a stranger. Then how can you give bitcoin seed to a stranger. He must be enjoying the free money  Sad
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: