Bitcoin Forum
December 14, 2017, 02:25:59 PM *
News: Latest stable version of Bitcoin Core: 0.15.1  [Torrent].

Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Holders dying  (Read 2820 times)
Lagduf

Activity: 328

View Profile
October 23, 2017, 10:58:47 PM

Simply tell your relatives, but still, what's the matter though, if the only one who have the private keys to access their own bitcoin is themselves and is die, the bitcoin will just like be burned.
by that the total supply of bitcoin actually reduced.
The limited supply will make bitcoin more rare and lowering the supply.

██
█║█
║║║
║║║
█║█
██
'BTC MULTI-WALLET SOON'
▬▬▬ Download WHITEPAPER ▬▬▬

▄██▄
                  ▄██████▄
                ▄██████████
              ▄██████████▀   ▄▄
            ▄██████████▀   ▄████▄
          ▄██████████▀    ████████▄
         ██████████▀      ▀████████
         ▀███████▀   ▄███▄  ▀████▀   ▄█▄
    ▄███▄  ▀███▀   ▄███████▄  ▀▀   ▄█████▄
  ▄███████▄      ▄██████████     ▄█████████
  █████████    ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
   ▀█████▀   ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
     ▀▀▀   ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
          ██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
          ▀███████▀      █████████▀
            ▀███▀   ▄██▄  ▀█████▀
                  ▄██████▄  ▀▀▀
                  █████████
                   ▀█████▀
                     ▀▀▀
e i d o o
██

███▀▀
▐▐▌
▐▌
▐▌
▐▐▌
███▄▄
▀▀███
▐▌▌
▐▌
▐▌
▐▌▌
▄▄███
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.
tomahawk9

Activity: 280

View Profile
October 23, 2017, 11:05:50 PM

I am quite new to this.

I can see quite a lot of Bitcoin going `missing` when someone dies. (without giving survivors your passwords etc)

This type of question always help increasing people's awareness on their bitcoins because not everything is about holding, if you actually put a lot of work in having BTC (mining, trading, invesment, etc) but suddenly something happens to you, then all those months, or even years would have meant absolutely nothing because your coins are lost forever
If someone has a big amount of BTC, let's say more than 100 BTC, you can be sure that this person is well prepared for any type of unexpected events. But even anyone who values their BTC, no matter how much they have, should have a plan b in case something happens.

████████████████████████████
████████▄▄████████▄▄████████
█████▄███▀▀██████▀▀███▄█████
██████▀███▄█▄██▄▄████▀██████
████████████████▄▄████████
████▄▄███████████████▄████
████▄████████████████▀████
████████▀▀▀████▀█▀█████████
██████▄██████████████▄██████
█████▀███▄▄██████▄▄███▀█████
████████▀▀████████▀▀████████
Truckcoin

For The Fastest Decentralized Global Market
▬▬     ANN Thread     WhitePaper     Twitter     Facebook     Google+     ▬▬

The Monkey King

Activity: 196

View Profile
October 23, 2017, 11:20:25 PM

I am quite new to this.

I can see quite a lot of Bitcoin going `missing` when someone dies. (without giving survivors your passwords etc)

It is a not a serious matter since bitcoin is mined, a lot of it can be created which make it just okay if a user dies with an account of lots of bitcoins. But it still is a loss for the bitcoins might be lost forever or until someone gets to know about the account and hacks it. Users should have planned it rather than have their bitcoins left, they should give it to their loved one or family as a backup plan when they die.

bitcoinsocial09

Activity: 182

View Profile
October 23, 2017, 11:25:00 PM

I am quite new to this.

It is a not avoidable but a user should have a last will, with his/her passwords and accounts planned out. Due to circumstances that may happen such as accidents or possible threats since having bitcoins means you are capable of acquiring a lot of money. Also having planned out how your bitcoin will be split or to whom your bitcoin will go since it can also start a dispute among your family members.

bitcub

Activity: 266

View Profile
October 23, 2017, 11:27:56 PM

Bitcoin is like a gold that can be lost or stolen. If you want to protect it or not go wasted when you die someday or you loss your memory. You should share the information to your family. Tell them to become responsible and tell them the BTC potential.

I am quite new to this.

Sadlife

Activity: 350

Why so serious?

View Profile
October 23, 2017, 11:33:50 PM

You just have to teach your love ones how bitcoin works and how to use it cause if something happens to you they can retrieve and use your bitcoin for financial needs or whatever they needed. I hope there can be a trusted escrow for this where if something happens to you that other guy or trusted will give bitcoins you left behind. Im having trouble teaching my family cause they're tech enthusiast that's why i give up teaching them.

▄▄▄▄              ▄▄                                                              ▄▄▄▄
████             ████                                                             ████
████              ▀▀      ████                         ████                       ████
████  ▄▄▄▄▄      ▄▄▄▄   ▄▄████▄▄▄▄▄      ▄▄▄▄▄       ▄▄████▄▄▄▄▄   ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄      ████
█████████████    ████   ███████████   ▄████▀████▄    ███████████  ▐██████████▄    ████
████     ▀████   ████     ████      ▄████▀   █████▄    ████        ▀▀    ▀████    ████
████      ████   ████     ████      ███▀    ▀██████    ████         ▄▄▄▄▄▄████    ████
████      ████   ████     ████      ████▄██▄  ▀████    ████       ████████████    ████
████     ▄████   ████     ████▄     ▀████████▄  ██▀    ████▄     ▐███▌    ▐███    ████   
████████████▀    ████     ▀███████▌   ▀█████████▀      ▀███████▌  ████████████    ▀█████▌
   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀       ▀▀▀▀       ▀▀▀▀▀▀       ▀▀▀▀▀           ▀▀▀▀▀▀     ▀▀▀▀  ▀▀▀▀      ▀▀▀▀     ▀▀   

thet

Activity: 112

View Profile
October 23, 2017, 11:51:35 PM

I am quite new to this.

To lessen all the worries, why don't you tell to your wife/husband, family about your BTC by that they can also have the idea that you own a lot of BTC. Grin

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
BLOCKCHAIN  DIGITAL  BANK          NEBEUS  PRE ICO    OPEN
▬▬▬▬▬▬      FACEBOOK     TWITTER     LINKEDIN     TELEGRAM      ▬▬▬▬▬▬
whoisyourking

Activity: 126

View Profile
October 23, 2017, 11:59:01 PM

I am quite new to this.

If you are mentioning to those bitcoin holders without any beneficiary if there is something happen to them there is a lot of users did not think about that if they leave the earth they cant carry their bitcoin in heaven lol. so better leave their bitcoin password to some one trusted in a family.
Oceat

Activity: 434

View Profile
October 24, 2017, 12:03:48 AM

When you die without anyone having access to your privatekeys, then your bitcoin is simply lost, causing probably a slight deflation depending on how much you've actually lost.

I've read a clever solution on Reddit in the past.
Automated script method:
Have a script that will ask you every year whether you're still alive. If you confirm that you're alive, nothing happens.
If you don't confirm, and after enough retry attempts, then it will automatically send emails to all your beneficiaries with instructions on how to claim your bitcoin holdings.
If you're interested in this scripted mechanism, let me know. I can give you more details.

Not sure on what the possible drawbacks of that method is, but I gotta admit it's a pretty creative and clever solution.
I do like this idea where your (whoever you put on your beneficiaries list) will going to get your bitcoin if you didn't confirm or replied to the automated message. But my problem is what if some bad guy will going to use this clever solution into a criminal activity like hacking on any personal account? Did the developer who proposed that tried the Q&A and beta test to improve this script without having a problem of the loophole?

███████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████
██████████████
███████████████
██████████████
███████████████
██████████████
███████████████
██████████████
███████████████
██████████████
███████████████
██████████████
███████████████
██████████████
███████████████
██████████████
███████████████
██████████████
███████████████
██████████████
███████████████
██████████████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████
██████████████
██████████████
██████████████
███████████████
██████████████
███████████████
██████████████
███████████████
█████████
███████████████
████████
████████████████████
█████████
██████████████████
███████████████████████████
███████████████████████

monkeydominicorobin

Activity: 98

✪ NEXCHANGE | BTC, LTC, ETH & DOGE ✪

View Profile
October 24, 2017, 12:11:04 AM

I am quite new to this.

That is the purpose of Ethereum Smart Contracts. You can set a program which will be triggered after a user did not log in for a certain number of days. Let us say you did not log in for 200 days. It will be executing your last will and testament in form of smart contract and inform surviving members of your family that you created a pre-recorded video as to how they can redeem your precious Bitcoin. Or manage it for themselves until it reaches the moon

gabbie2010

Activity: 322

View Profile
October 24, 2017, 12:23:37 AM

I am quite new to this.

It is absolutely a wise decision to teach a close relative about bitcoin, especially revealing your password to a very close and trusted partner e.g wife or your kid, this will avoid the loss of your bitcoin, someone advised the use of a script to a close family member which is not advisable, in the process the member may have reveal or expose the password to a knowledgeable fellow in process of helping the member to retrieve the bitcoin.

▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄▄
    ▄█▀▀▄▄███████▄▄▀▀█▄
  ▄█▀▄████▀▄▄▄▄▄▀████▄▀█▄
 ▄█ █████▀█ ▄▄▄ █▀█████ █▄
▄█ █████   █████   █████ █▄
█ ██████   ▀███▀   ██████ █
█ ███████         ███████ █
█ ██████   ▄███▄   ██████ █
▀█ █████   █████   █████ █▀

▀█ █████▄█ ▀▀▀ █▄█████ █▀
  ▀█▄▀████▄▀▀▀▀▀▄████▀▄█▀

▀█▄▄▀▀███████▀▀▄▄█▀
       ▀▀█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀▀

▄█████████ ███      ███  ▄█████  ▄█████  ▄████████▄   ▄████████▄   ▄█████████ ███       ███
███▀        ███      ███ ███▀    ███▀    ███▀    ▀███ ███▀    ▀███ ███▀        ███       ███
███         ███      ███ ███     ███     ████████████ ███      ███ ███         ███▄     ▄███
███▄        ███▄    ▄███ ███     ███     ███▄         ███      ███ ███▄         ▀███████████
 ▀█████████  ▀████████▀  ███     ███      ▀█████      ███      ███  ▀█████████          ▄███
                                                                                     █████▀
██████
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
██████
██████
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
██████
█████▀
███▀ 
█▀  ▄█
  ▄███
▄████▀
███▀
█▀  ▄█
  ▄███
▄████▀
███▀
█▀  ▄█
  ▄███
▄█████
█████▀
███▀ 
█▀  ▄█
  ▄███
▄████▀
███▀
█▀  ▄█
  ▄███
▄████▀
███▀
█▀  ▄█
  ▄███
▄█████
Siren

Activity: 238

View Profile
October 24, 2017, 12:34:46 AM

I am quite new to this.

If you are really holding a lot of bitcoins in your wallet, perhaps its better if you have to include it in your last will. Talk to a trusted lawyer and see how it can be included in your will. Although the lawyer himself  can have vested interest in your wallet if he/she knows that you have like millions of dollars in bitcoin.  Grin

Or give instructions to somewhat that you really trust like your wife and write down instruction on how to sweep your wallet with your private keys and deposit it to a exchange where you exchange it to fiat.

crzy

Activity: 98

★Jetwin.com★

View Profile
October 24, 2017, 12:39:17 AM

I am quite new to this.

Well if you really want someone to enjoy all your profit when you die then tell someone all the details about your wallet and in fact you are really doing this for your family so tell them about this so when you leave they will surely lived securely financially.

Baofeng

Activity: 252

View Profile
October 24, 2017, 12:41:58 AM

You just have to teach your love ones how bitcoin works and how to use it cause if something happens to you they can retrieve and use your bitcoin for financial needs or whatever they needed. I hope there can be a trusted escrow for this where if something happens to you that other guy or trusted will give bitcoins you left behind. Im having trouble teaching my family cause they're tech enthusiast that's why i give up teaching them.

What about in cases that you and your wife divorces though? And you teaches her about your bitcoin riches. I'm sure she will go after it in cases of divorce. That's why I think the best options is to just to hide it from your family members and write a will or something about your bitcoins to your wallet and open the instructions once you are gone. I heard also stories of family members stealing their brother, father's bitcoins.

..C..
........What is C?.........
...........ICO            Dec 1st – Dec 30th............
       ............Open            Dec 1st- Dec 30th............
...................ANN thread      Bounty....................

krun4

Activity: 70

View Profile
October 24, 2017, 12:45:27 AM

Wooow never thought of this Cheesy

However I think that people are smart enough and know when something is worthed. For example you won't leave your car just like that, since it is some kind of asset and has value in it. I don't think that much of a bitcoins are lost this way. I have heard of a man that had 100 BTC, since the very begging, but lost everything when his PC crashed..

C
What is C?
BossMacko

Activity: 686

View Profile
October 24, 2017, 12:50:11 AM

If a person doesn't have anyone close to him and he/she died then the Bitcoin will be lost forever so for this Bitcoin holder should teach his/her closest family member wife/mom/dad/sister or anyone that person wants the way in Bitcoin so incase something happened then that person who have an access to the person account can be in charge on all the asset. In my case if i will get an accident and we don't have flat money my wife can cashout my Bitcoin.

▄████▄       
██████       
▀████▀       
▀██████      ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   
▄▄█████  ▄██████████████████▄
▄██████▀██  ████████████████████
▄█████▀    ▀  ████████████████████
▄█████▀         ███ ████████████ ███
██████▀          ███ ████████████ ███
███████           ███ ████████████ ███

▄████▄                  ███████   
██████                 ▄██████     
▀████▀                ▄█████▀     
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄      ▄    ▄█████▀       
▄██████████████████▄  ██▄ █████▀         
████████████████████  ██████▀▀           
████████████████████  ██████▄             
███ ████████████ ███                     
███ ████████████ ███                     
███ ████████████ ███                       
  [    |    ████████████████████████
████████████████████████
███            ▀████████
███  ███████  ▄  ▀██████
███           ██▄  ▀████
███  ███████  ████▄  ███
███                  ███
███  ██████████████  ███
███                  ███
███  ██████████████  ███
███                  ███
████████████████████████
████████████████████████
  ] 
FACEBOOK  )   (  TWITTER  )
  .SUBSCRIBE NOW!!!. 
INSTAGRAM  )  (  LINKEDIN  )
Nerman

Activity: 126

View Profile
October 24, 2017, 12:50:43 AM

I never thought of this. With the price of bitcoin right now it is truly an asset. Just like with the other posts it is really wise to at least inform your wife or a love one about your wallet password.  I have a notebook of all my password and my wife knows where i hide it. You can also put it on your last will with a lawyer that you really trust especially if you have a lot of coins.

▂▂▃▃  TRADE CRYPTOCURRENCIES | INDEXES | FUNDS ▃▃▂▂
●▬●▬●▬●▬●▬●▬●▬●▬●▬●▬●▬● BITOTAL.COM ●▬●▬●▬●▬●▬●▬●▬●▬●▬●▬●▬●
░▒▓█ DEPOSIT BONUS | 0% TRADE FEES | WIDE COIN OFFER | EXCLUSIVE ICO'S █▓▒░
erickkyut

Activity: 574

View Profile
October 24, 2017, 12:51:52 AM

I am quite new to this.

When you are still living, you should tell the people closest to your heart that you are involve in Bitcoin and teach them how to retrieve it if ever you will die. Much better if you could also teach them how to earn from Bitcoin. Through that, they can continue earning and they can also teach to the next generations.

Jating

Activity: 431

Democratizing Global Trade - ICO NOW LIVE

View Profile
October 24, 2017, 12:53:54 AM

Wooow never thought of this Cheesy

However I think that people are smart enough and know when something is worthed. For example you won't leave your car just like that, since it is some kind of asset and has value in it. I don't think that much of a bitcoins are lost this way. I have heard of a man that had 100 BTC, since the very begging, but lost everything when his PC crashed..

We have our responsibility to save and protect our investments, that man is so dumb that he didn't even made a backup of his private key. Back to the topic, a good sit down with your wife and open up about your bitcoin investment is a good start. And of course if you can tell her and show instructions retrieving your coin much better. And a simple documentation will help as well. Its really hard to think in case of situation you die and you don't have someone to inherit or know the stash of your bitcoins.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
        ▄███████████████▄
     ▄█████████████████████▄
   ▄█████████████████████████▄
 ███████████████████████████████
▐██████   ▀████▀  ▐▌       █████▌
██████▌    ▀█▀    ███▌  █████████
██████  ▐▄    ▄  ▐███  ▐█████████
█████▌  ██▄ ▄█▌  ███▌  █████████▌
▐███████████████████████████████
 ▀█████████████████████████████
   ██████████████████████████▀
    ▀██████████████████████▀
       ▀████████████████▀▀
           ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

▬▬  ▬▬  ▬▬  ▬▬  ▬▬
White Paper
▬▬  ▬▬  ▬▬  ▬▬  ▬▬
Yaunfitda

Activity: 305

Democratizing Global Trade - ICO NOW LIVE

View Profile
October 24, 2017, 12:59:57 AM

When you die without anyone having access to your privatekeys, then your bitcoin is simply lost, causing probably a slight deflation depending on how much you've actually lost.

I've read a clever solution on Reddit in the past.
Automated script method:
Have a script that will ask you every year whether you're still alive. If you confirm that you're alive, nothing happens.
If you don't confirm, and after enough retry attempts, then it will automatically send emails to all your beneficiaries with instructions on how to claim your bitcoin holdings.
If you're interested in this scripted mechanism, let me know. I can give you more details.

Not sure on what the possible drawbacks of that method is, but I gotta admit it's a pretty creative and clever solution.

Yeah, I have to agree that its very clever solution. And if you are a programmer, you can enhance it to fit for yourself.

I am quite new to this.

If for unseen circumstances, you suddenly die, your bitcoin will be lost together with you. However, if you want to share it with your family members, then do it so that they will have the idea about and will raise awareness in a very positive way as well, and retrieved your lost bitcoins.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
        ▄███████████████▄
     ▄█████████████████████▄
   ▄█████████████████████████▄
 ███████████████████████████████
▐██████   ▀████▀  ▐▌       █████▌
██████▌    ▀█▀    ███▌  █████████
██████  ▐▄    ▄  ▐███  ▐█████████
█████▌  ██▄ ▄█▌  ███▌  █████████▌
▐███████████████████████████████
 ▀█████████████████████████████