Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 06:18:01 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Taxes Mining Bitcoins  (Read 8488 times)
beerlover
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 1156

View Profile
December 01, 2017, 04:07:23 AM

Somebody can help me about the taxes mining Bitcoins in Canada and USA. Taxes to import the hardware, income tax,  etc.

i suggest researching if have a government regulation about mining in the said country because here in my country mining have nope taxes but the electricity power fees is very expensive, payment with expensive electricty i think is enough to pay taxes including in the electricity bill.
It totally balls down on the location just as you have said. I have been mining for a while and apart from the tax I had to pay alongside the hardware, the electricity bill I pay, there has been no form of tax. The only way I guess I may have to end up paying tax is if my government decides to start taxing when converting to fiat while making use of the exchanges.

As a Canadian living in Ontario, I have been mining bitcoins and altcoins for quite a while and don't pay imposes on the bitcoin that I mined. In any case, that is for the most part since I don't offer.

In any case, from what I heard, on the off chance that you are a business and acknowledge bitcoin, you need to report it. In the event that you mined bitcoin and sold it, it considers capital pick up.
Well, those are capital gains and unless you report it, mostly by converting into fiat with the use of an exchange, then this is where tax comes in. Even without mining in some places and you just buy BTC, it is known that you will end up having some gains on it which means it is subject to tax. So, if you decide to mine, pay your electricity bills and leave your funds in your wallet, then tax obviously does not apply.

.DuelbitsSPORTS.
▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄▄█████████████████▄▄
▄██████████████████████▄
██████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
▀████████████████████████
▀▀███████████████████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██

██
██
██
████████▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄██
███▄█▀▄▄▀███▄█████
█████████████▀▀▀██
██▀ ▀██████████████████
███▄███████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
▀█████████████████████▀
▀▀███████████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀
OFFICIAL EUROPEAN
BETTING PARTNER OF
ASTON VILLA FC
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██

██
██
██
10%   CASHBACK   
          100%   MULTICHARGER   

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
karabasss

Activity: 284
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 09, 2017, 04:55:19 AM

Can't speak to Canada.

In the USA, IRS rulings are that Bitcoin mined does not become taxable 'till you either sell it for cash or spend it on "tangible property" at which point it becomes taxable at the cash value of the amount of Bitcoin you spent.

There's a lot more verbage involved, but that's the short-form basic information you need.

I suspect state and local income taxes (where applicable) have to follow the IRS rulings on the subject.

As far as I know, the mining is not taxed or something has changed. When you deduce that it is possible and that a rarity. What taxes do you mean, in my country all this is free.

PLAY
            ▄██████████████▄
          ▄██▀▀██████████████▄
        ▄██▀    ▀██████████████▄
      ▄██▀        ▀██████████████▄
    ▄██▀   ██████▄  ▀██████████████▄
  ▄██▀          ██    ▀██████████████▄
 ███       ▄█████▀      ███████████████
  ▀██▄    ▐██         ▄██████████████▀
    ▀██▄  ▐██████▌  ▄██████████████▀
      ▀██▄        ▄██████████████▀
        ▀██▄    ▄██████████████▀
          ▀██▄▄██████████████▀
            ▀██████████████▀
LIVE
██████
███▀▀▀
███

███
███▄▄▄
██████
██████
▀▀▀███
███

███
▄▄▄███
██████
coolcoinz
Legendary

Activity: 2604
Merit: 1102

View Profile
December 09, 2017, 03:07:48 PM
Last edit: December 09, 2017, 03:22:10 PM by coolcoinz

In Europe you have to pay income tax.

Yes, that's the burden of Europe

At least in Europe your house doesn't get raided and your computer confiscated if you don't. Sure you have to pay taxes and a stupid VAT, but I'd rather live here than in the US where the authorities can steal your stuff and put you in jail with murderers and rapists for selling Bitcoins.

Can't speak to Canada.

In the USA, IRS rulings are that Bitcoin mined does not become taxable 'till you either sell it for cash or spend it on "tangible property" at which point it becomes taxable at the cash value of the amount of Bitcoin you spent.

There's a lot more verbage involved, but that's the short-form basic information you need.

I suspect state and local income taxes (where applicable) have to follow the IRS rulings on the subject.

As far as I know, the mining is not taxed or something has changed. When you deduce that it is possible and that a rarity. What taxes do you mean, in my country all this is free.

Mining isn't taxed but income from it is. You don't have to report mining, unless you have a mining business and keeping books, but if you exchange the coins and get fiat you are supposed to pay income tax.

dotcomwriter

Activity: 127
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 10, 2017, 02:46:20 PM

I don't think there are any tax laws on bitcoin mining. However, in the United States, the tax law only applies when you buy, sell or spend bitcoin on a tangible commodity.

For quality cryptocurrency contents, kindly contact me. Thank you.
Mister1k

Activity: 896
Merit: 520

View Profile
December 10, 2017, 04:36:27 PM

I don't think there are any tax laws on bitcoin mining. However, in the United States, the tax law only applies when you buy, sell or spend bitcoin on a tangible commodity.

First most of government and politicians do not know about bitcoin and it's technology. Every bitcoin related earnings will be considered as service oriented earning only. And most of the government gives a 15 percent taxation on the bitcoin earning when you want to exchange it as a fiat currency.
If you cross the earning tax payers limit means we have to pay tax for all the earnings you are making from bitcoin or other crypto earnings.
pixie85

Activity: 2128
Merit: 524

View Profile
December 10, 2017, 07:44:19 PM

Could you explain this? What should I do when I buy a meal in a restaurant for Bitcoin? Should I take the check to the tax office and pay the tax? Cheesy
I would expect the authorities to demand people pay taxes from Bitcoins they're holding ahd report the gains every year. This way if they decide to spend their coins there won't be any misunderstandings. If you weren't asked to pay taxes every year you could later buy a large number of cheap products like beer cans and hide the purchase never having to report the transaction.
De Suga09

Activity: 352
Merit: 125

View Profile
December 12, 2017, 06:48:02 AM

Quint can you cite this ruling?

The last position I saw the IRS taking was that you were required to recognize mined bitcoin as income when it was generated and then take a capital gain / loss when selling.

According to the IRS, when a taxpayer successfully “mines” Bitcoins and has earnings from that activity whether in the form of Bitcoins or any other form, he or she must include it in his gross income after determining the fair market dollar value of the virtual currency as of the day he received it. If a bitcoin miner is self-employed, his or her gross earnings minus allowable tax deductions are also subject to the self-employment tax.
Flexibit

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 13, 2017, 05:57:07 AM

Currently, Canadian regulatory authorities posit that digital currency—such as bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies—does not constitute either money or currency. In 2014, the Bank of Canada released a position paper concluding that bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies fail to meet the definition of money. In 2013, an interpretation letter released by the Canada Revenue Agency stated that bitcoin and other digital currencies were not currency for Canadian tax purposes. Instead, the Canada Revenue Agency concluded that a bitcoin was a commodity, like gold or oil. So, the tax rules concerning barter arrangements apply to bitcoin transactions. As mentioned, the Canada Revenue Agency treats bitcoin—and digital currencies generally—as a commodity for income-tax purposes. As a result, bitcoin transactions are subject to the same rules as barter transactions—that is, transactions where one commodity is exchanged for another.

Generally, this means that a gain or loss from a bitcoin transaction will be treated as either (i) income or loss from business or property or (ii) a capital gain or loss. The difference comes with important tax implications. The full amount of business or property income is taxable, while only one-half of a capital gain is taxable. On the flip side, while only one-half of capital losses are deductible, one may fully deduct losses associated with business or investment activity.
walking_jumbo

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 14, 2017, 12:55:09 AM

In the UK if you are mining bitcoins then HMRC regards this as a trade and will charge any profits to income tax and national insurance, so presume similar will apply. They are starting to clamp down too.
slickskin

Activity: 36
Merit: 5

View Profile
December 17, 2017, 05:13:57 AM

Um, after the cost of the hardware itself, the electricity, and the time of having to do it, to get a very small trickle of coin I'm not reporting that on a tax form. The whole point is this is a decentralized currency that the government and IRS has no place in regulating. Don't report. Let them prove you owe something and fight for it.
DebitMe
Legendary

Activity: 2786
Merit: 1011

Get Paid Crypto To Walk or Drive

View Profile
December 17, 2017, 06:02:49 AM

Um, after the cost of the hardware itself, the electricity, and the time of having to do it, to get a very small trickle of coin I'm not reporting that on a tax form. The whole point is this is a decentralized currency that the government and IRS has no place in regulating. Don't report. Let them prove you owe something and fight for it.

Great advice!  Why don't we all just disobey the law because we don't want to do something.  Fucking idiot.  Pay your taxes people, its not hard and will save you time and money in the future when you don't owe interest and penalties and possibly jail time.

Get paid crypto to walk or drive. Play CoinHuntWorld! Earn Hundreds Monthly!
https://coinhunt.gsc.im/IZIijYr64Q
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  

Jump to: