Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 09:19:53 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Calling All Australian CryptoDenizens!!!  (Read 215 times)
joecrypto (OP)

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 24, 2017, 08:27:30 PM

Alright guys here's the short version; I lived in Australia for a year and I am now back in Vancouver, Canada. I was issued an Australian cheque that no Canadian bank will honour because it is from Australia. I contacted Commonwealth bank back in Aus and they said that all they can recommend is to mail it to a friend in Aus along with a signed letter of consent and have them deposit it. (believe me, this is the short version).

After roughly 6 months of back and forth communications with HostPLus Superannuation just to have the cheque issued, turns out I can't even cash the damn thing. The worst part? The cheque is only for 284.46.

SO I decided I was going to get drunk and have a good ol fashion cheque burning. But then I had a better idea. Why not auction off the cheque for whatever cryptocurrency someone is willing to spend? At this point I have nothing to lose aside from the 3-4 seconds of warmth a burning cheque would supply. Plus I'm new to the cryptosphere and thought this would be a fun social experiment.

So here's what I'm thinking; As mentioned the cheque is for $ 284.46 (CAD I believe- but there is a chance it is in AUS). Cheque goes to the highest/ most interesting bid, at which point we can open up a private dialogue and you can provide me with your mailing address. I send you the cheque along with signed consent to have it deposited. Now here's where I'm a little unsure but perhaps some more seasoned crypto vets can chime in- we would need to set up a condition on the coins to be released only once you (the buyer of my ridiculously frustrating cheque) have verified that you have received it and that it is good. I'm not certain how to do this myself but I'm pretty sure there are possibilities out there- suggestions are welcome.

This whole ordeal is a testament to how archaic the current global banking system is and why crypto is so necessary. Also I took a picture of the cheque and the email from Commonwealth but I'm not sure how to attach them. If anyone wants to let me know I can post them so you know I'm not just completely full of it.

PS I'm currently reading Nathaniel Popper's Digital Gold and highly recommend it- great read.
PPS I Hope this doesn't violate any of the forums terms of service and apologize if it does- just looking to launch a fun experiment with crypto and this cheque that has been the bane of my existence for the last 6 months.

Let the bidding commence!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Auralea

Activity: 81
Merit: 1

View Profile
October 24, 2017, 08:36:30 PM

Oh my, I am so sorry but I cannot help you. This is quite the interesting scenario to follow though, so I will give your thread a bump and myself a reminder to follow up on this ^^.

Good luck!
joecrypto (OP)

View Profile
October 24, 2017, 08:51:16 PM

hahah Thanks Auralea! I'm pretty interested to see how this goes myself lol!
joecrypto (OP)

View Profile
October 27, 2017, 08:06:33 AM

Aw common guys I was hoping to have a little fun with my misfortune.

Do I hear 1 XRP? lol
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: