Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 11:52:14 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Pros and Cons Of Adding a Tipping Feature to the Forum  (Read 796 times)
r3wt (OP)

Activity: 686
Merit: 504

always the student, never the master.

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 09:24:44 PM

Hi all, i've had a new idea. inorder to act as a middleman to all the trades, i suggest we add a tipping feature to the forum. this feature can be used for a bevy of reasons:

PROS:

• Tip users for being helpful solving problems
  • alleviates doubt on scam accusations. proves without a shadow of a doubt whether a scam occured.
  • provides loan payments. if user never pays and essentially bails out a scam thread is started, scammer is banned and ip address and contact info turned over to the victimized party.
  • adds incentive to posters to be helpful while discouraging trolling

CONS:

not known at this time, but we all know that no system is perfect. join me in my effort to perfect this proposition for a better bitcointalk.org

r3wt

My negative trust rating is reflective of a personal vendetta by someone on default trust.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitCoinNewGuy

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

'That Guy'

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 09:52:24 PM

Tipping would be awesome! I have often wanted to tip people who make quality, informed, posts. It will motivate people to do exactly that.
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 09:53:27 PM

Hi all, i've had a new idea. inorder to act as a middleman to all the trades, i suggest we add a tipping feature to the forum. this feature can be used for a bevy of reasons:

PROS:

• alleviates doubt on scam accusations. proves without a shadow of a doubt whether a scam occured.
  • provides loan payments. if user never pays and essentially bails out a scam thread is started, scammer is banned and ip address and contact info turned over to the victimized party.

CONS:

not known at this time, but we all know that no system is perfect. join me in my effort to perfect this proposition for a better bitcointalk.org

r3wt

This is not a new idea, Theymos has already said he doesn't feel comfortable having any wallets managed by the forums, and someone is already making a tipBot despite him.

tysat
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1004

Keep it real

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 09:53:29 PM

It's been talked about some before, I think for the most part it's not really used (going off of tips people get from addresses in profile/sigs).
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 09:54:01 PM

It's been talked about some before, I think for the most part it's not really used (going off of tips people get from addresses in profile/sigs).
This too.

tysat
Legendary

Keep it real

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 09:54:08 PM

PROS:

CONS:

r3wt

This is not a new idea, Theymos has already said he doesn't feel comfortable having any wallets managed by the forums, and someone is already making a tipBot despite him.

The tipbot won't be a wallet controlled by the forum  Tongue
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 09:57:27 PM

PROS:

CONS:

r3wt

The tipbot won't be a wallet controlled by the forum  Tongue

Exactly the point. And the fact that you'd need to send someone your bitcoins in order to use them for tipping is a bit derpy too. I wouldn't use it.

r3wt (OP)

Activity: 686
Merit: 504

always the student, never the master.

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 09:59:27 PM

some all around good points from both of you. perhap we could gather all of the reputable escrows and allow them to manage the wallets. give them a cut.

My negative trust rating is reflective of a personal vendetta by someone on default trust.
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 10:01:32 PM

some all around good points from both of you. perhap we could gather all of the reputable escrows and allow them to manage the wallets. give them a cut.

Why bother? There is nothing here that a wallet plugin in the browser wouldn't solve. Blockchain.info already made one that connects to the BitcoinQT on the desktop through the API, why wouldn't it work like that for sending tips?

Welsh
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3248
Merit: 4110

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 10:06:03 PM

Just display you're Bitcoin address and ask for tips if they liked you're post etc. It's the same principle but without the hassle of having a tip bot.
mprep
Global Moderator
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 2607

In a world of peaches, don't ask for apple sauce

View Profile WWW
June 10, 2013, 10:28:03 PM

Just display you're Bitcoin address and ask for tips if they liked you're post etc. It's the same principle but without the hassle of having a tip bot.
Totally agree. Why even try to overcomplicate the situation?

tysat
Legendary

Keep it real

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 10:45:16 PM

Also now you can put a bitcoin address in the forum profile.

^^ This

A tip thing sounds cool at first, but people are hardly going to use it.  It's just not worth implementing, plus I can imagine it'd lead to hacking attempts and more begging.
malevolent
can into space
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 1721

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 10:45:58 PM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=201018.0;all

Signature space available for rent.
blueblade123

Activity: 91
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 10:53:08 AM

I'll add a Con:

No one tips! It'll be completely pointless, and unused. I haven't come across a single post that someone tipped another person, or gave away coins for free.

(P.s. I'm sure they are out there, you don't have to search the whole forum to prove me wrong. But it's not very common.)
tom1

Activity: 130
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 11:38:11 AM

No one tips!
What about Bitcoinbillionaire? This guy has been giving away over $10k worth of bitcoins Grin

raze

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 12:06:04 PM

I'll add a Con:

No one tips! It'll be completely pointless, and unused. I haven't come across a single post that someone tipped another person, or gave away coins for free.

(P.s. I'm sure they are out there, you don't have to search the whole forum to prove me wrong. But it's not very common.)

I've seen a few, though they're not very common.

I've offered to tip someone (can't remember who it was) but they respectfully declined because they didn't need it.

BTC --16FPbgyUZdTm1voAfi26VZ3RH7apTFGaPm
LTC -- Lhd3gmj84BWqx7kQgqUA7gyoogsLeJbCXb
PPC -- PRpKGjgjNLFv8eR7VVv7jBaP8aexDFqk4C
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: