Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 09:51:03 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Brand New GUI Mining Program - Need Opinions on Bitcoin Mining Strategies  (Read 7532 times)
DoctorDoom (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 12, 2013, 02:52:15 AM
Last edit: September 16, 2016, 04:05:11 AM by DoctorDoom

e
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
KyrosKrane

Activity: 295
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2013, 03:15:38 AM

My thoughts on this, in no particular order.

1) It looks good.  I love that there's still active development of new mining technology.

2) Be sure to test for stability when doing odd things like repeatedly starting and stopping, or loading and exiting the program.  I'm currently using another GUI-based miner, and each time I stop mining, it causes a crash in the GPU driver.

3) Consider adding support for CPUs and nVidia cards.  Yes, I know they're far less efficient than AMD hardware.  Still, people do have them and use them.

4) I love that you're integrating ASIC support in there.  It's not just BFL, but also ASICMINER and Avalon-based ASICs that are entering the market now.  More will probably show up sooner or later.  I think if you can integrate support for those three platforms that are actually available now (or about to be), that should give you a solid foothold for the future.

5) Add support for solo mining. I consider solo mining to be a bit like buying a lottery ticket.  It's a (very) low chance of getting a big payoff, for a relatively small cost. (The debate of whether solo mining is a good idea is never-ending and doesn't belong in this thread.  I'm just saying, give users of your program the option.)

6) Will WinMiner be tied exclusively to the Dominatrix mining engine? Or will you support configurable miners?

7) Future consideration: consider adding remote stats viewing and configuration by integrating a small Web server into your app, or supporting some kind of external monitoring API.

8) Future consideration: consider allowing multiple miners on standalone but networked PCs to work together and effectively form a virtual pool, shared just by the PCs that you allow to join it.

9) Wishful thinking: Port it to Linux and make it work on a Raspberry Pi.  Grin

Tips and donations: 1KyrosREGDkNLp1rMd9wfVwfkXYHTd6j5U  |  BTC P2Pool node: p2pool.kyros.info:9332
crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 04:48:08 AM

Open Source that shit. Anyone who downloads a program from a random forum handle who signed up a week ago with only 10 posts deserves to have their wallet stolen.

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
legitnick

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2013, 04:52:26 AM

From the screenshots it looks good. Unfortunately I dont download any files from this forum.

5 BITCOIN RAFFLE GIVEAWAY
"I dont lift" - Lord Furrycoat
cp1

Activity: 616

Stop using branwallets

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 04:54:09 AM

It looks nice, but there's no way I'll use an unknown binary.

Guide to armory offline install on USB key:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=241730.0
SirMintALot

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

In POS we trust

View Profile
June 20, 2013, 06:58:40 AM

It looks like a mixture of Guiminer and CGminer or BFGminer. MPTS and MPDS sound like good strategies, I'm not so sure about the Found Block Strategy. I will give it a try when it's available.

BTC: 142BHpdq4wey7PC3Cp5QiUoshF19u3yvHN LTC: LbiEUDYjohwpXnv1Gd4LvdGr1Jr1M5Usjc NMC: N3eeYkWqeLFWBJRmS3WyU1zz6WgKkjEVtb
IXC: xtR8uc2EFGWFJgrVEgZZ5yvRsWKhwAg8ZH DVC: 18oVWfSqHjvhJEuHHxsDpCfBeDMuLWyh5p CLR: CGZGWW16sooX69PJBEtJH2Xmo4KFupkow7
PPC: PLJ5uzFw21FkKdSrmfccT3MqubSfSB4soE YAC: Y7FM89AiFhWKBcXh2BzzRaw4eUAYkreXbs LBW: 5ygEWM7dMjeUV2sBeppTvkTTXCkeREKqf2
I0C: jatiogvXJYhK7auegbjPnQRV3kQgFvz482 JPU: JE7fhhPfP1Kjyd1hj8zevNsf7THeMqHo6A NVC: 4Hvecu2fzC2rCwYbKBeYXr8y9pdAZLFZHH
dxtwo

Activity: 145
Merit: 100

coins...coins...as far as you can see

View Profile
June 22, 2013, 01:26:09 AM

Thanks for sharing your background and taking the time to make a program. Looking forward to seeing how things turn out.
Antuam
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1005

View Profile
June 25, 2013, 06:28:17 AM

Hello.
I had worked in intel Spain in the 1999-2000. I tested Celeron and Pentium III in Slot I  in different motherboard and chipset LX and BX.
If you need a beta tester, I can do it with different GPU in Spain.
It is a very good job.
Have a nice day.
Antuam

bitcoinextra

Activity: 99
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
June 26, 2013, 12:32:56 AM

I hope to have more talented people like yourself developing for the coin mining community.

Might want to think of the option to mine scrypt based coin currency like the litecoin or fastcoin.
But that might be a lot of trouble, If you can in maybe further down the line.

Love to have the all in one program option. Grin

Two questions:

From your time working at AMD, how aware is the company that some people use there hardware to Mine bitcoins?

Do you think that the company might released a device like ASIC Miner Card to put into your computer
and make as easy as installing a Graphics Card?

Thanks for your time and effort

Looking forward to WinMiner being released into the wild soon.

Hello I am a Bitcoin and Crypto Currency enthusiast, hobbyist, and Crypto Currency Miner.
btcee

Activity: 24
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 26, 2013, 12:14:42 PM

Very nice work. Thank you.

About that lymphoma... juicing cures cancer:

The Gerson Miracle:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbIixJI_oa4

The Beautiful Truth:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvzDHGLEUyw

Dying To Have Known
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoUl7F7dWdE

Also, hemp oil cures cancer:

Run From The Cure:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0psJhQHk_GI
http://www.phoenixtears.ca
ct1aic

Activity: 714

Are ฿itcoins Radioactive?

View Profile WWW
June 29, 2013, 09:31:39 AM

Greetings, DoctorDoom.

I read your technical background... wow. You life till now could be written to a best selling book. But many times, Life is so unjust... noone deserves what you already suffered and are still suffering, with your health. And it's good to see that you never gave up having faith and taking your life and skills forward. Thank You so much for your life example.

Regarding your idea presented in this thread, it's fantastic. I'm a fan of GUI's and I do use one for mining, 50Miner.exe. This way, I can mine with 2 HP laptops and a desktop, all with AMD graphic cards and Windows 7 64 bits SP1, using DiabloMiner as engine. I also use a RaspberryPi with MinePeon 0.2.0, to mine with 2 USB Block Eruptors (for now, as you can see in my own forum signature).

I think that your programs will help me (and many others) to put away programs like the 50Miner GUI, as yours will surely include many features not seen in other mining software. But one area that needs to be explored after the initial project, is indeed the centralization. Winminer should have the possibility of securely connect to all Dominatrix Engines, via pre-configured ports, to be able to use those connections in a LAN or using the Internet to interconnect the several Engines (regardless of which operating system they run) to the Winminer program.

Also, as some of us need to have an idea of what is happening in our mining farms, it would be interesting to have a remote connection (probably a web interface) to the Winmine centralized program, from the work office. I'm an IT professional, connected to networks and OS's and I don't have problems manteining a connection to my computers @ home, when I'm at my work's office.

After all was said in this thread, I also recommend that you include a programmable mining configuration to yourself, for instance that I could configure the first N minutes of the day to mine for DoctorDoom's own pool, as a little monetary aid for your great effort to bringing us all a fantastic software. This idea is not mine, as MinePeon already has that feature and I defend it.

Good luck with your work and, if you need a beta-tester to try your engine & GUI, please do count with me.

Meanwhile, have a great week-end, my friend.

Rui Costa, PortugalBTC : 1ct1aicGoUVpZeovsw3cCcPJZJHV5JXtW
Oldminer
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 29, 2013, 08:22:05 PM

Will be following this project with interest. Nice to have someone as talented as you here.

Btw, check out http://www.budwigcenter.com/budwig-protocol.php - this protocol is claimed to cure all forms of cancer. Dr Budwig was the leading cancer expert in Germany for many years (check out the testimonials).

Good luck

If you like my post please feel free to give me some positive rep https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=trust;u=18639
Tip me BTC: 1FBmoYijXVizfYk25CpiN8Eds9J6YiRDaX
KyrosKrane

Activity: 295
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
June 30, 2013, 01:33:54 AM

Since I have a SHA2-256 C++ class, I will use that for a password phrase. This will be a lot more secure than just a normal password.
I'm not quite sure what you meant here, but if you mean using an SHA-based hash to secure the password, that's generally considered a bad idea. SHA and similar hashing algorithms are designed for speed, so they can be executed millions of times per second. That makes them susceptible to brute force attacks.  There are special password hashing libraries out there that are designed to take orders of magnitude longer per hash attempt, so it takes maybe 10 to 100 milliseconds per attempt. That's still fast enough that it's invisible to the user, but it utterly demolishes any brute force attack attempts.

See this for a decent overview, but I'd still advise you to do more research - I'm not a password programming pro, just a guy who's read up on the subject.  Smiley

http://crackstation.net/hashing-security.htm

Tips and donations: 1KyrosREGDkNLp1rMd9wfVwfkXYHTd6j5U  |  BTC P2Pool node: p2pool.kyros.info:9332
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: