Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 06:45:33 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [BOUNTY] 0.2 BTC bounty for figuring out entropy in this python app  (Read 2111 times)
SgtSpike (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
June 12, 2013, 05:52:30 AM

A long while ago, when I was in to generating vanity addresses, I used this set of python scripts:  https://mega.co.nz/#!DwQlmL4L!ISzPiTuA5Y0PUIQNv79cy0PhJ4VlFEbLXx7c4ouN7jI

I didn't write the script, but I would like to know how safe Bitcoin addresses that were generated with this script are.  So, a 0.2 BTC bounty to anyone who can find the source(s) of entropy in this code, and describe how easily those addresses could be regenerated.  I've never learned python, so it's a bit difficult for me to follow what is happening in the code.

EDIT:  I suspect the randomness would be in the generate.py file, so I'll paste that code here for ease of looking at:

Code:
from __future__ import print_function
import hashlib
import time
import binascii
import base64
import sys
import ahocorasick

ALPHABET = "123456789ABCDEFGHJKLMNPQRSTUVWXYZabcdefghijkmnopqrstuvwxyz";

def base58encode(inp):
BASE = 58;
bi = int(binascii.hexlify(inp), 16)
s = ""
while bi > 0:
s = ALPHABET[bi%BASE] + s
bi = bi/BASE                                                                                                                   
nPad = 0
for c in inp:
if c == '\0': nPad += 1
else: break

return (ALPHABET[0]*nPad) + s

def public2address(publickey):

ripemd = hashlib.new('ripemd160')

version = '\x00'

ripemd.update(hashlib.sha256(publickey).digest())

keyhash = version+binascii.unhexlify(ripemd.hexdigest())

checksum = hashlib.sha256(hashlib.sha256(keyhash).digest()).digest()[0:4]

bitcoinaddress = base58encode(keyhash+checksum)

return bitcoinaddress

def main():
outfile = sys.argv[1]
target = sys.argv[2]

from M2Crypto import EC
curve   = 'secp256k1'
ec_curve = eval('EC.NID_%s' % curve)

tree = ahocorasick.KeywordTree()
file = open(target)

print("Reading file...")

for line in file:
l = line.rstrip()
tree.add(l)

print("Generating tree...")

tree.make()

ec = EC.gen_params(ec_curve)
CONST1 = binascii.unhexlify("308201130201010420")
CONST2 = binascii.unhexlify("a081a53081a2020101302c06072a8648ce3d0101022100fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffefffffc2f300604010004010704410479be667ef9dcbbac55a06295ce870b07029bfcdb2dce28d959f2815b16f81798483ada7726a3c4655da4fbfc0e1108a8fd17b448a68554199c47d08ffb10d4b8022100fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffebaaedce6af48a03bbfd25e8cd0364141020101a144034200")

test = False

count = 0
t = time.time()
interval = 500

with open(outfile, 'a') as finds:
while True:
ec.gen_key()

#M2Crypto adds some stuff to the public key
pubkey = ec.pub().get_der()[23:]

address = public2address(pubkey)
where = tree.search(address.lower()[:10])
if test or where:
print("Address: "+address)
print("Public key: "+binascii.hexlify(pubkey))
#For some reason it can only save the private key to a file -.-
ec.save_key("key"+outfile, None)
with open("key"+outfile) as keyfile:
keyfile.readline()
priv = keyfile.readline().rstrip()
#M2Crypto adds some stuff to the private key.
#Removing it, and re-encoding to base58
shortpriv = base64.b64decode(priv)[7:-9]
print("Private key base58: "+base58encode('\x80'+shortpriv+hashlib.sha256(hashlib.sha256('\x80'+shortpriv).digest()).digest()[0:4]))
priv = CONST1 + shortpriv + CONST2 + pubkey
print("Private key full hex: "+binascii.hexlify(priv))
if not test:
word = address[where[0]:where[1]]
print(word)
finds.write(word+" "+address+" "+binascii.hexlify(pubkey)+" "+binascii.hexlify(priv)+"\n")
print("")
count += 1
if count%interval == 0:
dt = time.time() - t
print(str(int(interval/dt)) + " keys/sec    ",end='\r')
t = time.time()

main()

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
runeks
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2013, 01:55:13 PM
Last edit: June 12, 2013, 02:56:12 PM by runeks

Looks like it uses OpenSSL to generate keys. So I'd say it's as safe as OpenSSL's default key generation is.

M2Crypto is a Python wrapper around the OpenSSL library: https://pypi.python.org/pypi/M2Crypto

Code:
	from M2Crypto import EC

[...]

ec = EC.gen_params(ec_curve)

[...]

with open(outfile, 'a') as finds:
while True:
ec.gen_key()

[...]

EDIT: Yup. Looks like it's a wrapper around OpenSSL's EC_KEY_generate_key()

From M2Crypto source EC.py:

Code:
    def gen_key(self):
        """
        Generates the key pair from its parameters. Use::
            keypair = EC.gen_params(curve)
            keypair.gen_key()
        to create an EC key pair.
        """
        assert m2.ec_key_type_check(self.ec), "'ec' type error"
        m2.ec_key_gen_key(self.ec)  

And from ./SWIG/_ec.i:

Code:
%rename(ec_key_gen_key) EC_KEY_generate_key;

So, a 0.2 BTC bounty to anyone who can find the source(s) of entropy in this code, and describe how easily those addresses could be regenerated.
So, in short, it should be exactly as hard as any other key generated by OpenSSL.
jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1233

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
June 12, 2013, 01:59:19 PM

Yep, safe as OpenSSL
Should be enough

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
SgtSpike (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 12, 2013, 03:16:57 PM

Runeks - can you confirm I should send the 0.2 BTC bounty to 1runeksijzfVxyrpiyCY2LCBvYsSiFsCm?

Jackjack - thanks for the additional input.

It does indeed sound like OpenSSL has decent entropy sources:
OpenSSL

OpenSSL implements such a hash-based entropy juicer. It provides a function RAND_add(buf, n, e) that adds a buffer of length n and entropy e to the entropy pool. Internally, the entry pool is just an MD5 or SHA1 hash state: RAND_add calls MD_update to add the bytes to a running hash computation. The parameter e is an assertion made by the caller about the entropy contained in buf. OpenSSL uses it to keep a running estimate of the total amount of entropy in the buffer. OpenSSL also provides a RAND_bytes(buf, n) that returns a high-entropy random byte sequence. If the running estimate indicates that there isn't enough entropy in the pool, RAND_bytes returns an error. This is entirely reasonable.

The Unix-specific code in OpenSSL seeds the entropy juicer with some dodgy code. The essence of RAND_poll in rand_unix.c is (my words):

char buf[100];
    fd = open("/dev/random", O_RDONLY);
    n = read(fd, buf, sizeof buf);
    close(fd);
    RAND_add(buf, sizeof buf, n);

Notice that the parameters to RAND_add say to use the entire buffer but only expect n bytes of entropy. RAND_load_file does a similar thing when reading from a file, and there the uninitialized reference is explicitly marked as intentional (actual code):

i=fread(buf,1,n,in);
    if (i <= 0) break;
    /* even if n != i, use the full array */
    RAND_add(buf,n,i);

The rationale here is that including the uninitialized fragment at the end of the buffer might actually increase the actual amount of entropy, and in any event being honest about the amount of entropy being claimed won't break the entropy pool estimates.

Similarly, the function RAND_bytes(buf, n), whose main purpose is to fetch n high-entropy bytes from the juicer, adds the contents of buf to the entropy pool (it behaves like RAND_add(buf, n, 0)) before it fills in buf.

In at least three different places, then, the OpenSSL developers explicitly chose to use uninitialized buffers as possible entropy sources. While this is theoretically defensible (it can't hurt), it's mostly a combination of voodoo and wishful thinking, and it makes the code difficult to understand and analyze.

In particular, the RAND_bytes convention causes problems at every call site that looks like:

char buf[100];
    n = RAND_bytes(buf, sizeof buf);

This idiom causes so many warnings with Valgrind (and its commercial cousin, Purify) that there is an #ifdef to turn the behavior off:

#ifndef PURIFY
                MD_Update(&m,buf,j); /* purify complains */
    #endif

The other two cases occur much more rarely: in RAND_poll, one would have to be reading from /dev/random when the kernel had very little randomness to spare, or calling RAND_load_file on a file that reported one size in stat but returned fewer bytes in read. When they do occur, a different instance of MD_update, the one in RAND_add, is on the stack trace reported by Valgrind.
http://research.swtch.com/openssl
runeks
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2013, 03:44:20 PM

Runeks - can you confirm I should send the 0.2 BTC bounty to 1runeksijzfVxyrpiyCY2LCBvYsSiFsCm?
Yes, thank you. Smiley
SgtSpike (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 12, 2013, 08:13:23 PM

Yes, thank you. Smiley
Done!
runeks
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2013, 08:16:56 PM

Yes, thank you. Smiley
Done!
Received! Thank you very much sir.
changjixiong

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 01:23:46 PM

hoho, I am searching for a key genarate program use python, here it is Grin
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: