Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 07:50:19 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Extremely user friendly ASICs  (Read 1131 times)
stdset (OP)

Activity: 572
Merit: 506

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 05:38:44 AM
Last edit: June 29, 2013, 03:45:38 PM by stdset

I don't know was it discussed previously or not, but the idea is obvious.

Now, when ASICs are finally being shipped, the best way to use them is to involve in mining as much people as possible.
Create an ASIC which looks like a flashdrive, which, when plugged to a USB port automatically starts mining. There is no need to push hashrate to the limits, let it consume less power instead, and be not very hot. Those who will become interested in mining can buy more serious hardware (and that will increase your, our dear ASIC manufacturers, sales in one more way). Make it in several different designs: fancy, neat, elegant, etc... Embed a small display, which indicates eg current amount of microBTC on this drive's pool account, current hashrate, etc... Make it attractive.

Very often I have no idea what to gift to my friends, relatives. With such device on the market, it would be easy for me, I personally would buy several such devices. It's a nice way to multiply network hashrate and bitcoin userbase.

Edit:
Partnership with a pool is implied. Also builtin OTP generator like Yubikey, necessary to login to the pool account, would be useful. In case, if Bitcoin grows in value significantly enough to make amount of BTC mined some time ago something considerable, users will start to use the devices like physical bitcoins.

Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
coinerd

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 05:47:58 AM

I believe this device is available for 1BTC + shipping and it's called the "Block Eruptor".

You might have to wait for some of those additional features though.

EDIT: I looked it up for you

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=217104.0
stdset (OP)

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 05:58:33 AM

I believe this device is available for 1BTC + shipping and it's called the "Block Eruptor".

Thank you. Looks like it is already almost done.

BenTuras

Activity: 826
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 06:13:25 AM

It should be a nice looking object that doesn't need a PC/laptop to hash.
It should be able to connect to the internet without much user actions, preferably none.
It should already contain a Bitcoin wallet to which it is mining via a pool.

I am selling in stock OneStringMiner boards, based on the Bitfury chips. Have a look here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=495536.0
coinerd

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 06:16:19 AM

Thank you. Looks like it is already almost done.

I really didn't read up on it again, but the price has dropped by half I think maybe they're in the second round.  You can buy (way overprices) this on amazon.com.
stdset (OP)

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 06:29:26 AM

I really didn't read up on it again, but the price has dropped by half I think maybe they're in the second round.  You can buy (way overprices) this on amazon.com.

Although Block Erupter is close to what I meant, it isn't exactly what I want. I'd like a smaller device without radiater, which automatically connects to it's own predefined account in a pool. Let advanced users have an option to change that settings, but for target users everything should be as simple as possible.

BenTuras

Activity: 826
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 07:54:02 AM

Would you pay 2BTC extra for a friendly screen, a built in wallet, and an internal wireless card?
Yes, but not for just 333MH.
It has to be multiple GH in an attractive package(see below) and can then cost more than 2BTC.
As an early adaptor of Bitcoin, I would love to give it away to introduce Bitcoins to friends in a fun way.
(I did one attempt by giving them BTC via mailacoin, some didn't even pick it up, too much hassle to install the software)

Headlights blink optionally when a share is found Grin
Open the back to see the electronics (protected behind a piece of plexiglass)
Number plate shows the BTC in the wallet  Cool
USB connection to change default configure

I am selling in stock OneStringMiner boards, based on the Bitfury chips. Have a look here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=495536.0
stdset (OP)

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 05:02:28 PM

Getting rid of the heat sink isn't really feasible.

The rest of what you suggest could be done, but it adds cost to the system.  Right now people are screaming that the USB device is already over-priced.

Would you pay 2BTC extra for a friendly screen, a built in wallet, and an internal wireless card?
IMO, builtin wallet is a nice option, but it isn't necessary, wireless card isn't necessary as well.
What is necessary is that everything is setup.

User plugs the device in a USB port, follows a simple installation process, during which some mining software is downloaded. That software takes settings (pool, worker name, port, password) saved in the device (advanced users have an option to change that settings) and starts mining. Optionally, through an API, the device gets current amount of BTC mined and dispays it, whether on the builtin screen or user can check it somewhere in his/her computer.
So, essentially, user plugs the device, and watches how his/her BTC balance increases.

Moreover, let's imagine, the device not only mines, but also generates OTPs to login to it's account in the pool, like a Yubikey. In that case, if Bitcoin grows in value significantly enough to make amount of BTC mined some time ago something considerable, users will start to use the devices like physical bitcoins, almost like cash.

stdset (OP)

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 05:53:04 PM

It should be a nice looking object that doesn't need a PC/laptop to hash.
That would make it significantly costlier and bigger. Although such devices maybe also would gain their niche, I meant simpler devices.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: