Bitcoin Forum
March 30, 2024, 01:46:37 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN][CROC] Official CrocodileCash Update Board [Strength in Basking]  (Read 20019 times)
heratys111

Activity: 164
Merit: 71

View Profile
December 11, 2017, 05:58:36 AM
Last edit: December 11, 2017, 06:11:37 AM by heratys111

I was wondering what the mechanics would be of forking off or otherwise incorporating Peercoin's (PPC's) more recent code as currypto has proposed(?).

I) For a fork from Peercoin:

I think it would be smart to run a testnet form of the altered code for a bit.  We would want to be sure that people are happy that the functionality of that codebase is roughly as expected using CROC's different parameters of:
a) 30-second target block time
b) coin supply
c) steady POS rate
d) anything else overlooked or ignored in the preliminary steps of the fork.

* Perhaps a fork might address the RAM-usage problem (as PPC billed itself somewhere as energy-efficient ... I'm not that familiar with PPC but considering that the source had its last commit five days ago and other changes seem to have been made in the last month [with its history of being an older coin] it's probable that it's a more streamlined batch of code).  Although as startsts mentioned, blocks are more frequent for CROC than with PPC.  I don't know the block time offhand compared to XSH... since Mikanoshi made the memory-usage comparison with that.

I figure then we would be looking to do a coin swap (as the most equitable way to transition what people have at stake figuratively or literally to the new code based on allocations as they are)?   Effectively, it would be like issuing a premine and then doling those out to CROC-holders at a 1:1 ratio with a swap.

I'm not sure why but I don't think it's as simple as having everyone just upgrading to a new version of the wallet.
 I remember SUMO had a wallet upgrade for a new difficulty readjustment algorithm and that being relatively painless; but I've also encountered a circumstance where if one has multiple addresses there's the process of doing a bunch of dumpprivkey's and then incorporating those keys/coins into the newer version of a wallet (not as simple as sending a small amount of coins as a test for a swap and then sending more once the new coin has proven to be evidently sound).

Alternatively:
II) There's the probably much more exhaustively-labor-intensive process of comparing the code between PPC, ANTI, and CROC.
 I'd presume CROC is much more similar to ANTI (and that PPC has had a lot of changes over time).  We'd probably even want to look at MOZZI as Gizzard seemed to be active in that coin's forum shortly before the launch of CROC -- and these coins, again, seem outwardly similar.

The code-comparison and adjustment to the original wallet method is probably not the best judgment call and I think currypto's onto something with considering a tweak of PPC (or even the fork/tweak and then a code-comparison of the test-netted code, which IMO seems the best option --  [I'm calling this option IIb] ).

A third suggestion is to maintain CROC and issue this fork as a parallel coin [CROC_Prime??? CROC' ] (again, after it's been testnetted before being let loose).  So basically each CROC-holder would suddenly have two parallel coins after a period of transition.   Otherwise, I'm not sure there'd be a lot of mining being done on a coin that's only in a testing phase -- and that part of the hybrid coin-generation obviously would need some testing.  However, I'd prefer to keep (although improve where relevant) the branding and not split the coins unnecessarily (as the over-abundance/multitude of alts is already the situation).

Somewhat as an aside: I'd be curious what would happen with the 237,671 CROC sitting in Yobit sell orders (about 9% of the total CROC), that no one -- except maybe Yobit --  is staking?  I'm assuming a lot of those folks are traders; otherwise I'm surprised those people haven't tried to get a listing at coinsmarkets to get some new coins minted while they wait.   With Yobit's reputation, I don't think either a coin-swap or a wallet upgrade will be really easy to execute with that exchange.

What are people's thoughts?  I don't think we want to throw the baby out with the bathwater but I'm interested to see what might be the result of a fork (or a fork with some bells and whistles after a code-comparison).

By the way, I never thought to look but was there much (if any) activity in the translated threads from the original??

▐▐▐▐ CrocodileCash ▐▐▐▐
Fast and cheap ^_^ ▐  Aggressive, non-hyperinflationary 12% PoS ("Strength in Basking") ▐  4.4 million current supply ▐  SHA-256 PoW -- Making old ASICs great again
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
liquidisecreatures

Activity: 54
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 11, 2017, 09:58:25 PM

Can US/Singapore citizens participate in the ICO?
Mikanoshi

Activity: 798
Merit: 252

Insane In The Blockchain ⚠

View Profile WWW
December 13, 2017, 03:12:50 AM

Can US/Singapore citizens participate in the ICO?
Just die. Thank you.

heratys111

View Profile
December 13, 2017, 06:26:13 AM
Last edit: December 13, 2017, 07:10:48 AM by heratys111

On looking at my last post anew today, I find it a bit rambling and not as tight or focused as I'd like.  Anyway, to move on to something productive along the lines I was trying to suggest...

...supposing I have the day off from my full-time job tomorrow (as I anticipate), I'm planning on forking the Peercoin code into a test coin that (after sufficient experimentation and alteration) might be something we could credibly or justifiably offer (after we work any bugs out or conceivably improve on or tweak) as a viable CROC 2.0.  My current impression remains that a well-executed coin-swap (not to the test-coin but to an iteration ultimately derived from this) will be the most suitable and equitable approach for current CROC holders.

The test/makeshift coin will be a work-in-progress on Github as long as will be deemed necessary by the community-at-large.  My tentative name for this (as it's not a serious coin/intended-object-of-speculation and would instead be a transitory and a community-manipulable thing) is "Cow-chip Thrower coin" [CCT] Grin.  More details (and a link to the source) in all likelihood will be forthcoming tomorrow.  I still like the nomenclature of "CROC-prime" for the test-coin (after it has undergone any and all trials-by-fire) as a sort of development name... although CrocodileCash would remain the actual name of the long-term CROC 2.0.

One issue I considered -- during some idle reflection today -- was that existing CROC holders should be able to port-over their addresses; or (if this isn't possible or even desirable) retain their position with the CROC that they have held.  Again, I think the coin-swap model seems to be the most suitable formula for bringing this about (Huh).

I agree with Currypto that we can piggyback off the Peercoin code but adapt it to CROC.  The parameters I think we want to keep for this animal include the following:

* 30-second block target,
* 55 million coins before POW ends (and I think we want to ensure it ends firmly... unlike a zombie coin such as Q2C that just keeps generating coins through some wishy-washy loophole or lack-of-rigor in the code),
* SHA-256d still for the POW (keeping it an ASIC coin... just because it's that particular kind of beast),
* securing the chain through hybridization with (simultaneous) POS and POW ... ... ... this is actually a point-of-difficulty/nebulousness for me personally because I don't claim to understand how the blocks are generated (I realize that CROC stakes like a top-of-the-food-chain reptile but I don't understand how a new block is generated exactly... do POS and POW compete or take turns or what?  Any idea anyone???),
* keeping the transfer fee as (the peanuts amount of) 0.01 CROC -- [LTC and DOGE eat your hearts out!],
* start any enforced/strongly-recommended-transition at a pre-announced point in the blockchain (again, after we can be confident that the Peercoin-fork has the expected behavior/characteristics of CROC but is built upon the more evolved Peercoin codebase instead of Antibitcoin -- which hasn't seemed to have had a developer's or a development-team's eyes upon it for about two years).

* What have I overlooked?   Your/any input is wanted here.

▐▐▐▐ CrocodileCash ▐▐▐▐
Fast and cheap ^_^ ▐  Aggressive, non-hyperinflationary 12% PoS ("Strength in Basking") ▐  4.4 million current supply ▐  SHA-256 PoW -- Making old ASICs great again
heratys111

View Profile
December 13, 2017, 06:52:11 AM

@Hyperjacked: please respond to the pm (regarding the development wallet and any wallet functionality issues if that remains a problem).

▐▐▐▐ CrocodileCash ▐▐▐▐
telematico2

Activity: 67
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 13, 2017, 11:19:06 AM

On looking at my last post anew today, I find it a bit rambling and not as tight or focused as I'd like.  Anyway, to move on to something productive along the lines I was trying to suggest...

...supposing I have the day off from my full-time job tomorrow (as I anticipate), I'm planning on forking the Peercoin code into a test coin that (after sufficient experimentation and alteration) might be something we could credibly or justifiably offer (after we work any bugs out or conceivably improve on or tweak) as a viable CROC 2.0.  My current impression remains that a well-executed coin-swap (not to the test-coin but to an iteration ultimately derived from this) will be the most suitable and equitable approach for current CROC holders.

The test/makeshift coin will be a work-in-progress on Github as long as will be deemed necessary by the community-at-large.  My tentative name for this (as it's not a serious coin/intended-object-of-speculation and would instead be a transitory and a community-manipulable thing) is "Cow-chip Thrower coin" [CCT] Grin.  More details (and a link to the source) in all likelihood will be forthcoming tomorrow.  I still like the nomenclature of "CROC-prime" for the test-coin (after it has undergone any and all trials-by-fire) as a sort of development name... although CrocodileCash would remain the actual name of the long-term CROC 2.0.

One issue I considered -- during some idle reflection today -- was that existing CROC holders should be able to port-over their addresses; or (if this isn't possible or even desirable) retain their position with the CROC that they have held.  Again, I think the coin-swap model seems to be the most suitable formula for bringing this about (Huh).

I agree with Currypto that we can piggyback off the Peercoin code but adapt it to CROC.  The parameters I think we want to keep for this animal include the following:

* 30-second block target,
* 55 million coins before POW ends (and I think we want to ensure it ends firmly... unlike a zombie coin such as Q2C that just keeps generating coins through some wishy-washy loophole or lack-of-rigor in the code),
* SHA-256d still for the POW (keeping it an ASIC coin... just because it's that particular kind of beast),
* securing the chain through hybridization with (simultaneous) POS and POW ... ... ... this is actually a point-of-difficulty/nebulousness for me personally because I don't claim to understand how the blocks are generated (I realize that CROC stakes like a top-of-the-food-chain reptile but I don't understand how a new block is generated exactly... do POS and POW compete or take turns or what?  Any idea anyone???),
* keeping the transfer fee as (the peanuts amount of) 0.01 CROC -- [LTC and DOGE eat your hearts out!],
* start any enforced/strongly-recommended-transition at a pre-announced point in the blockchain (again, after we can be confident that the Peercoin-fork has the expected behavior/characteristics of CROC but is built upon the more evolved Peercoin codebase instead of Antibitcoin -- which hasn't seemed to have had a developer's or a development-team's eyes upon it for about two years).

* What have I overlooked?   Your/any input is wanted here.

I think it's great.
heratys111

View Profile
December 14, 2017, 07:34:03 AM
Last edit: December 14, 2017, 07:52:57 AM by heratys111

So... underway on that at https://github.com/Sviluppo718/Cow-chip_Thrower_Coin.   I did get a little side-tracked earlier with a task in Bulwark's thread (but got paid 10 of that coin for the trouble).

As the README.md file states, only really superficial changes have been made (titling, the readme file itself).  At this point this is not changed in any significant way from PPC.

Also, when I started to look at the header files main.h (C++ usually [always??] has main.cpp and main.h -- it's the skeleton around which the program runs off of) from PPC simultaneously with CROC's, I noticed in Gizzard's source that there seems to be the incorporation of a zerocoin library whereas Peercoin's source doesn't seem to have this.  It's kind of an interesting detail that could bear keeping around or tinkering with.

I think if any others are looking to help manipulate this into something awesome that could then be forked and incorporated as a more robust CROC we will want to follow the guidelines for pulls/development as indicated in the bottom of the readme.

Things that will need doing include figuring out where the port/rpc is in the code base (to reduce the likelihood of conflicts with other coins that people might be running nodes of).  [Or noob as I am at this... is this not in the codebase at all and simply a matter of handshaking by setting these to agreed-upon numbers in the config files at the user's end??]

Also, there are no addnodes provided here but if people want to mess around cpumining the initial block or two just for kicks (did Peercoin have a genesis block with a big fat premine?) feel free but I think any of these coins will be superseded in later versions.  There effectively is no network unless people want to pm to individuals or publicly announce nodes (perhaps they have a remote host setup?).  [Been watching _Mr. Robot_ lately so pretty security-conscious.]

The version.h has been left alone for now as I didn't want to potentially cause any conflicts with the PPC codebase -- it's probably best to make small changes, test, and repeat.

▐▐▐▐ CrocodileCash ▐▐▐▐
tycredy2

Activity: 35
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 17, 2017, 04:52:06 PM

So what will happen to the croc am holding presently. Are you planning coin swap
currypto (OP)

Activity: 196
Merit: 135

Sit back, relax, eat some nachos and have a drink.

View Profile WWW
December 17, 2017, 10:36:57 PM

So what will happen to the croc am holding presently. Are you planning coin swap

In theory your private keys and the rest of the network remain the same.

The PPC fork should not change the currently mined blocks or anything, besides using updated client and server code for everything. I am sure these chains are 100% compatible, but we will have to wait and see. Currently I have no time for this.

In any case, holding onto your CROC doesnt cost anything Smiley

heratys111

View Profile
December 17, 2017, 11:13:31 PM
Last edit: December 17, 2017, 11:30:58 PM by heratys111

It's an open question at this point.  I think that would potentially be a mechanism to update to a new wallet (if the wallet has been overhauled significantly).  I am new at this though (see below however), and could be complicating this more than necessary.

Just as a backgrounder, I studied computer and electronics engineering (and had some academic -- not professional -- experience coding in C++, Java, assembly, and VHDL) for several years but how I earn cash to live is not geek-related stuff at all.  I am a perfectionist and along with that I tend to bite off more than I can chew ... the other day I picked up _Professional C++ (third edition)_ by Marc Gregoire which is a technical 800-page survey of C++ and have designs on working through this as a refresher.  I am also using a Linux-based system and am not so well-versed with that too (but, again, have a bit of a program/comprehensive-text to get significantly more engaged with this -- but this is not as useful as the C++ would be).

I'm also interested in looking at early iterations of BTC, LTC to see how much I can grok the intricacies of the shared codebase underlying most alts as well as Peercoin, ANTI, (possibly MOZZI) that are more immediately-direct forerunners to CROC.

So time-management and focus are stumbling blocks for me to do something substantive.  As can be seen, you are probably not going to be encouraged to swap your CROC's in say a month's time.  Lips sealed Tongue  Particularly as this is December as well.

I also had the thought today that perhaps we might want to recruit or induce a dev such as Kingcoin's dev to handle some aspects (coding, code-review and/or testing).  (We've also kicked Bumbacoin's dev around as a name too.)   I reflected a bit on helping KING get up off the mat by making a deal out of my own stash to trade them some of their coin for a stake in one that offers cash-flow (below the 1000%-type PoS coins which I think are flash-in-the-pan parameters*).  I've got an idea of the coin supply of that and was going to take that into account to try to make a win-win offer in an exchange (trading coins potentially for services, nothing to do with incorporating the two into either blockchain).  I downloaded KING's wallet but got fascinated by the TOR information I found in the "/doc" directory (remembering a post in BWK's thread about setting up TOR nodes) and haven't done much with that wallet at this point ^_^

Anyhow, I think there is an avenue of approach to the communities of left-for-dead pure-PoW coins where CROC simply gobbles them up into the ecosystem which would help foment something approximating a more useful/utilitarian model (one which helps make more opportunities for models such as the following: http://abolishwork.com/2014/01/21/the-rich-economy-by-robert-anton-wilson/ -- although my approach is also along the lines of Bastiat, Mises, and Murray Rothbard).

* footnote: I suspect coins with an excessive amount of staking percentage (much beyond CROC) will not hold long-term value as there are simply too many issued to find buyers of the newly generated coin -- contrast that with CROC [with only about 7.5% of the total CROC-universe/supply sitting in sell orders -- and (at the moment) 96% of those (7.3% of the CROCs) aren't staking unless Yobit is doing it surreptitiously].

▐▐▐▐ CrocodileCash ▐▐▐▐
startsts

Activity: 1092
Merit: 273

View Profile
December 28, 2017, 05:22:00 AM

I'm happy to say that CryptoHub grows and some people already paid for coin listing and some additional services using CROC coin.   So CROC coin have some real use now.
After moving wallet to another server with SSD I don't have performance problem anymore, so there is no problem to maintain CROC pool, market and online staking at CryptoHub.

telematico2

View Profile
December 28, 2017, 10:40:34 AM

I'm happy to say that CryptoHub grows and some people already paid for coin listing and some additional services using CROC coin.   So CROC coin have some real use now.
After moving wallet to another server with SSD I don't have performance problem anymore, so there is no problem to maintain CROC pool, market and online staking at CryptoHub.

Hi, what's the price to list a coin
heratys111

View Profile
December 30, 2017, 11:20:40 PM

I was poking around in main.h on CROC yesterday (and for comparison I had the old NIST5-version of Solaris open [nearly identical to CROC's main header file] and Bulwark [much different from CROC's main.h as that's a DASH/PIVX fork]).   Today I opened up this section in Peercoin's code and Heavycoin also.

One thing that I noticed was that CROC has a relatively huge MAX_BLOCK_SIZE constant declared (it seems to be directly from Anti-bitcoin--which also shares this number)... the value is 20,000,000.  The unit seems to be in bytes based on the more fully commented code of PPC and HVC. 

For comparison:

the MAX_BLOCK_SIZE for solariscoin (the old NIST5 version) was 1,000,000
the DEFAULT_BLOCK_MAX_SIZE for Bulwark is 750,000

for Heavycoin (which has several interesting features [but much too high a coin-count IMO, and no PoS], notably the algorithms which may make it more quantum-computer-resistant when that need eventually arises
... see https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=506774.0 ) the MAX_BLOCK_SIZE is 1,000,000.

The section of code in BTC is obfuscated/hidden somewhere but BTC is 1 MB (so 1,000,000 again give-or-take [unless it's a base-16 value such as 1,000,256 or something]).

and finally Peercoin also has MAX_BLOCK_SIZE of 1,000,000.

So, I think the current version of CROC is too big for its britches on that particular parameter (as that seems to be where the block size is set).  That is probably a good part of where the memory-usage that CROC gobbles up might stem from too.

I am going to do some more work on that test coin fork this weekend (just the examples of the coins mentioned above show some inputs that can be experimented with at the front end without descending too much into the underlying class declarations elsewhere in the code [which can be treated like a "black box" to be pragmatic right now]).

▐▐▐▐ CrocodileCash ▐▐▐▐
telematico2

View Profile
January 01, 2018, 10:11:40 AM

HAPPY NEW YEAR

2018 will be the year of croc
heratys111

View Profile
January 03, 2018, 04:27:37 AM

HAPPY NEW YEAR

2018 will be the year of croc

Happy New Year.  I think 2018 will be a good (but interesting) year for crypto in general.  As long as we work to improve or refine things, CROC will share in the more long-term successful part of the space.  Grin

▐▐▐▐ CrocodileCash ▐▐▐▐
MadMac

Activity: 756
Merit: 103

View Profile
January 03, 2018, 02:07:30 PM

@heratys111 thanks, some interesting observations. I'm not involved in CROC (other than I love the crazy staking), but looking into something completely different for other reasons. Gives some ideas.

And yes, happy new year guys!
Genesis07

Activity: 252

View Profile
January 09, 2018, 03:08:39 PM

hello guys,

im an strong hodler since the initial airdrop back in 2017 and would like to ask just one question Smiley

do i have to do something as an hodler for the upcoming fork?

thank you very much Smiley and keep up the good work!
goodgryphon

Activity: 111

View Profile
January 09, 2018, 06:26:30 PM

I have just install the wallet and made the cinf file but it will not conect?  is there a new list of addnodes?
Thanks for any help!
startsts

Activity: 1092
Merit: 273

View Profile
January 09, 2018, 07:54:26 PM

I have just install the wallet and made the cinf file but it will not conect?  is there a new list of addnodes?
Thanks for any help!

nodes can be found here https://cryptohub.online/glossary/coininfo/6/

heratys111

View Profile
January 10, 2018, 04:37:58 AM

hello guys,

im an strong hodler since the initial airdrop back in 2017 and would like to ask just one question Smiley

do i have to do something as an hodler for the upcoming fork?

thank you very much Smiley and keep up the good work!

Hi,

I think at the moment you should sit tight.  I'm quite certain we will not be seeking to shake things up until we have tested things and have a robust alternative-chain to offer.  If you followed the previous thread, you probably recall that Gizzard said he read a few "how to build a coin"-type documents and experimented somewhat with some available codebases before he announced CROC.  At this moment, I haven't yet read a guide such as that.

I'm operating on the assumption that a coin-swap may occur (but it may instead be a simple "update" of the wallet to a Peercoin fork with the CROC parameters.)  I simply do not know at this time and am not going to claim to be an expert when I am honestly an interested amateur -- who has some past academic-but-not-industry coding experience.  I also work full-time (usually at least 50 hours a week), so time-management is a factor for me in this.

By far, the largest-part of my free-time is focused on the crypto-space and I am predisposed to be extremely thorough.  CROC is one of my favorite coins (and a dominant chunk of my crypto-portfolio) and I am interested in helping make it rewarding to the other holders.  CROC will not be a 1-cent-or-less coin over the course of 2018 -- this is a projection but I think it will prove to be an accurate one after enough work is applied to relevant and useful tasks.

▐▐▐▐ CrocodileCash ▐▐▐▐
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: