Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 04:15:05 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: gpu caught fire....options?  (Read 104 times)
Canadian Sensei (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 17, 2018, 06:56:22 PM

Hey guys,
I have a 6x1070 rig that had 2 gpu's catch fire.  The first happened after I shut it down to switch an ethernet cable.  When I restarted it, it would not recognize that card.  I unhooked the power supply to it, and as I reattached it, flames shot out of the back.  I did this with the computer still running (stupid).  The second one went out last night.  I was just in the room and hear a pop and saw a flame shoot out.  I wasn't messing with this one.  These 2 cards were on the same line coming out of an 850watt power supply.
When comparing the 2 cards, they are both burnt on the back at the exact same spot.  What are your thoughts on getting these warrantied through EVGA since they are only 3 months old?  Could this be a power supply issue? 
I'm just trying to get this sorted out without the getting too many details to the manufacturer yet.
Thanks

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
MintDiceSupport

Activity: 154
Merit: 11

MintDice Support

View Profile WWW
May 17, 2018, 07:06:13 PM

Seems this was/has been a recurring issue: https://www.pcmag.com/news/349319/evga-patches-graphics-cards-to-stop-them-catching-fire

Might be worth contacting EVGA, it seems they know about this.

Hope this helps.

Mintdice.com
Canadian Sensei (OP)

View Profile
May 17, 2018, 07:10:31 PM

Seems this was/has been a recurring issue: https://www.pcmag.com/news/349319/evga-patches-graphics-cards-to-stop-them-catching-fire

Hope this helps.

I saw these articles and they all seem to be from 2016.  I'm sure these cards weren't back stock from then.
paulmaritz

Activity: 672
Merit: 274

View Profile
May 17, 2018, 07:28:16 PM

Hope this helps.

I saw these articles and they all seem to be from 2016.  I'm sure these cards weren't back stock from then.

Have you checked for the part numbers listed in that article? If yours are not listed there, it is very concerning to say the least, because they were supposed to properly address the issue ages ago. That being said, I am sure if you contact them they will make it right. Keep us posted.
Canadian Sensei (OP)

View Profile
May 17, 2018, 07:35:12 PM

I'll check the numbers when I get home to make sure.  Do you know what I should steer clear of with EVGA?  I've been told to never mention mining with them because they won't warranty anything that was used for that.  Do you think that there is any truth to that?

darkangel11
Legendary

Activity: 2352
Merit: 1345

Defend Bitcoin and its PoW: bitcoincleanup.com

View Profile
May 17, 2018, 07:56:46 PM

There's a lot of pictures of a similar issue. This guy had a 1080 that caught fire and he was basically doing the same thing. Unplugged the card, plugged it back in, turned it on and it broke.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAbl0fLY06U
Does it look like this by any chance?

It was discovered that the issue originates from the voltage regulation modules which overheat leading to component failure and MOSFET blow out. The issue affects EVGA’s entire range of Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 and GTX 1070 cards equipped with the ACX cooler, all of which lack direct VRM cooling. This includes GTX 1080 & 1070 ACX, SC, FTW & FTW DT models. Essentially all dual fan models except the Classified.

You probably had an older model that doesn't have vram cooling, which was causing the overheating of these cards. The later models had thermal pads installed on the ram chips to prevent this. If you have a model with no cooling, RMA it and you should get a new one.

███████████████████████████
███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
..........UNLEASH..........
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
DUELBITS
FANTASY
SPORTS
████▄▄█████▄▄
░▄████
███████████▄
▐███
███████████████▄
███
████████████████
███
████████████████▌
███
██████████████████
████████████████▀▀▀
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
▬▬
VS
▬▬
████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
░▄████████████████▄
▐██████████████████▄
████████████████████
████████████████████▌
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
/// PLAY FOR  FREE  ///
WIN FOR REAL
..PLAY NOW..
paulmaritz

Activity: 672
Merit: 274

View Profile
May 17, 2018, 08:12:32 PM

I'll check the numbers when I get home to make sure.  Do you know what I should steer clear of with EVGA?  I've been told to never mention mining with them because they won't warranty anything that was used for that.  Do you think that there is any truth to that?

I don't know, but honesty is the best policy in my opinion. Contact them and be honest about it. They might pleasantly surprise you.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: