Bitcoin Forum
April 10, 2024, 06:00:26 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Where are pools located?  (Read 1434 times)
Oldminer (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 03:43:28 AM

Just wondering if anyone has taken the time to actually determine where Bitcoin mining pools are generally located/hosted?

From what I can see it appears most pools are based in Europe with only a few spread out elsewhere? Would it be right to say theres only 1 or 2 located in the US?

If you like my post please feel free to give me some positive rep https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=trust;u=18639
Tip me BTC: 1FBmoYijXVizfYk25CpiN8Eds9J6YiRDaX

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
phorensic

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 03:53:05 AM

I think the reason you don't see them geographically mapped is because the protocols used for a pool aren't very latency dependent at all.  As other pool operators have discovered, there is an inefficient way the protocol handles it's number of connections.  This is being hacked and patched by people who are helping with bitcoind and pushpoold projects on github.  I have seen some pool operators use old theories for web content delivery that haven't helped their growth as much as they are just adding more operating systems.  The old theory is that you spread your load geographically so that people get content faster from a server closer to them.  With bitcoind and pushpoold, the bottleneck seems to be in the number of open connections the networking stack can handle in the operating system.  More OSes = more connection capacity.  Eleuthria seems to have figured this out the best and is planning on one host with 10 or more VM's on it.  Hope I didn't give my private pool growth secrets away! jk  I like helping the community.
mmortal03
Legendary

Activity: 1762
Merit: 1010

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 03:59:26 AM

See my comparison table thread, just below this thread, or here!: http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=12920.0

It may not be completely accurate, as I went by WHO-IS for some of them, but it's a start.

The only thing I've noticed as far as geographical location that impacted mining was that I got more stale shares from ones further away.  That could have simply been a coincidence, as I haven't had anyone confirm for me whether that would be expected.
Oldminer (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 04:01:51 AM

I think the reason you don't see them geographically mapped is because the protocols used for a pool aren't very latency dependent at all.  As other pool operators have discovered, there is an inefficient way the protocol handles it's number of connections.  This is being hacked and patched by people who are helping with bitcoind and pushpoold projects on github.  I have seen some pool operators use old theories for web content delivery that haven't helped their growth as much as they are just adding more operating systems.  The old theory is that you spread your load geographically so that people get content faster from a server closer to them.  With bitcoind and pushpoold, the bottleneck seems to be in the number of open connections the networking stack can handle in the operating system.  More OSes = more connection capacity.  Eleuthria seems to have figured this out the best and is planning on one host with 10 or more VM's on it.  Hope I didn't give my private pool growth secrets away! jk  I like helping the community.

Thanks, thats interesting.

So there would be no benefit connecting to a pool 'based' in Sweden (for example) via a VPN server located in the same country, from the other side of the globe?

If you like my post please feel free to give me some positive rep https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=trust;u=18639
phorensic

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 04:23:37 AM

Thanks, thats interesting.

So there would be no benefit connecting to a pool 'based' in Sweden (for example) via a VPN server located in the same country, from the other side of the globe?
Not sure if this is sarcastic?
You should see the cacti charts for the network card on my pool server.  It's silly.  I'm not running some 2TH/s operation, yet, but still...

To answer your question more directly.  If you host your pool from a DC that has halfway respectable backbones fed in, you should be able to get data from the other side of the globe at just a bit later than the speed of light.  There's plenty of fiber in those oceans to do whatever you want with data.  That's speaking strictly latency wise.  As far as bandwidth?  This isn't a torrent.  The amount of data sent and received by one miner is tiny.  Wireshark it and look at some data with rrdtool/cacti.  If you think a VPN will help you, go for it.  Just don't spend too much!
Oldminer (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 04:29:20 AM

Not sure if this is sarcastic?
No not all. I just perhaps dont have a very good understanding of how this all works and just trying to get my head around it.

To answer your question more directly.  If you host your pool from a DC that has halfway respectable backbones fed in, you should be able to get data from the other side of the globe at just a bit later than the speed of light.  There's plenty of fiber in those oceans to do whatever you want with data.  That's speaking strictly latency wise.  As far as bandwidth?  This isn't a torrent.  The amount of data sent and received by one miner is tiny.  Wireshark it and look at some data with rrdtool/cacti.  If you think a VPN will help you, go for it.  Just don't spend too much!

Yea I'm looking at this more from from an end-user perspective (using VPN). I've got no plans to setup my own pool.

Thanks for your replies though. I might have a play around with wireshark tonight Smiley

Graet
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 980

View Profile WWW
June 28, 2011, 08:01:09 AM

https://www.ozco.in is situated in Australia

It has helped me overcome some "Problems communicating with bitcoin RPC" errors that were occuring multiple times persecond with eu pools and i do seem to get less stale shares as a result Smiley
anyone is welcome to try it out, miners from au nz or se asia will see most benefit Cheesy

| Ozcoin Pooled Mining Pty Ltd https://ozcoin.net Double Geometric Reward System https://lc.ozcoin.net for Litecoin mining DGM| https://crowncloud.net VPS and Dedicated Servers for the BTC community
talpan

Activity: 228
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 09:09:17 AM

Hi,

my server is located in France.
It's a dedicated machine.
Check it out http://PoolMunity.com

regards, talpan
Pages: [1]
  Print