Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 06:09:30 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Hard Drive Mining?  (Read 1338 times)
whitedragon

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 13, 2013, 01:47:14 AM

No hard drive mining but there is a new coin getting released later today called HertzCoin (HZC) that mines using your monitor's refresh rate.  Multiple monitor setups will mine faster.

Make sure you get in early...I hear a major rental car company is going to accept them at launch.  I also heard there is going to be a HZC fontas pump in 24 hours.  Oh and they'll be coming to Gox next week, CONFIRMED!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
erk

Activity: 826
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 13, 2013, 01:49:04 AM

Would it be feasible to make a coin that mines using your hard drive and if so, what would go into making one. Not the actual code but for example how would it mine using your hard drive?

They all use your hard drive. Perhaps you need to think about what you are actually asking?
owsleybeatsbigcartel

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
June 13, 2013, 01:51:14 AM

Technically, instead of "proof of work", we could have "proof of storage". The only problem with this is, we need it to be easy to verify. Proof of work is easy to verify because you have to do TONS of hashes to find one that's under the target, but you only have to do one hash to check if it is under the target. With proof of storage, it is impossible (AFAIK) to verify that someone has some data unless you have the same data, byte for byte. You might say, "but we could just store a hash of the data and ask them for that!" but then THEY could just store a hash of the data, and give it to you.
~geezacoin lol Cool
milly6
Legendary

Activity: 1632
Merit: 1010

View Profile WWW
June 13, 2013, 01:51:25 AM

Would it be feasible to make a coin that mines using your hard drive and if so, what would go into making one. Not the actual code but for example how would it mine using your hard drive?

I much rather see a coin for nvidia
Enough of the ATI bullshit cornering the market.

Hmmm Nvidia coin..
this is a great idea actually.
I have only seen it from the side that we need to improve the miner (ie cudaminer) but havent looked at it this way except that I believe Curecoin was supposed to be better on Nvidia

Eyes open, No Fear. Be Safe! Trinity: Currency Without Bias
GSnak

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 13, 2013, 01:52:06 AM

Have the hash written to a random sector of the HD, then the first HD that finds it gets the block reward.
milly6
Legendary

Activity: 1632
Merit: 1010

View Profile WWW
June 13, 2013, 01:54:10 AM

Hey guys,

I was wondering if we could create a coin that is set up to mine either my fan or my PS2 outlets. How would we set that up? Maybe we can plug outdated mice into the PS2 plugs and depending on how fast we can move the mouse back and forth we could write an algo to create a hash rate out of that.

As far as fan mining I figure with CPU and GPU the only thing that really happens is the processors just run at full speed and coins are made. So what if we create a fan mined coin? We could just run our fans at 100% and Im sure some sort of coin is bound to show up somewhere.

an hero

Lol If they actually come up with hard drive mining, you are gonna feel like a doooosh
Just sayin..

Eyes open, No Fear. Be Safe! Trinity: Currency Without Bias
erk

Activity: 826
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 13, 2013, 02:18:46 AM

Lol If they actually come up with hard drive mining, you are gonna feel like a doooosh
Just sayin..
Hard drives are a disk of spinning metal that you read and write stuff to with magnetic fields. They are passive devices like a paper punch card.

snowcrashed

Activity: 294
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 13, 2013, 02:32:15 AM

Actually I am close to being done my hard-drive based miner prototype.  I'm calling it the NotAScam2000.  I'm using an external hard-drive as the engine for portability and low power consumption.   Rough estimates of performance are between 100Mhs and 100Ghs.  Compatible with SHA and Scrypt mining.  Starting pre-orders tomorrow.
owsleybeatsbigcartel

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
June 13, 2013, 02:41:35 AM

Texas instruments / Seseme street i herd they are starting beta testing premined "calculator" coin!!! :-)weeeeee
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: