Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 08:53:24 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Transfer BitCoin Core 13.0 wallet to new 15.0 version?  (Read 387 times)
timk225 (OP)

Activity: 955
Merit: 1004

View Profile
October 29, 2017, 01:12:59 PM

I keep a Bitcoin Core 13.0 wallet on an external hard drive, that I hook to a laptop and let it update its blockchain every couple weeks, never know when I'll need to transfer "found" bitcoins from a computer in for repair to my own personal wallet!

I saw this morning that Bitcoin Core 15.0 wallet just came out, and was wondering if I should bother updating to it.  And if I did, I don't want to have to let it delete and re-download the whole 145GB blockchain all over again!

The Bitcoin blockchain seriously needs to be clipped off.  Take off the first 470,000 or so blocks and begin from there, no one has enough hash power to mine their own new blockchain with a 51% attack anymore.  Downloading most of that 145GB blockchain is simply ridiculous.

Can I update to the 15.0 wallet and NOT have it re-download the whole blockchain again?
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
achow101
Legendary

Activity: 3374
Merit: 6535

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
October 30, 2017, 03:23:36 AM

Can I update to the 15.0 wallet and NOT have it re-download the whole blockchain again?
Yes, you can. The normal update process of just installing Bitcoin Core 0.15.0.1 on top of Bitcoin Core 0.13 (i.e. overwriting the previously installed version with new binaries) does not destroy any blockchain data. Even uninstalling Bitcoin Core 0.13 does not delete any blockchain or wallet data. All of that is stored separately from the installation itself. So yes, you can just download and install Bitcoin Core 0.15 and not have to redownload the entire blockchain. It will, however, take a while to start up with Bitcoin Core 0.15, especially if you were using Bitcoin Core 0.13.0. This is because it both needs to update the database structure (this changed in 0.15) and, if you were using 0.13.0, it will need to redownload the blocks that were found after segwit's activation so that it has them in the segwit format.

The Bitcoin blockchain seriously needs to be clipped off.  Take off the first 470,000 or so blocks and begin from there, no one has enough hash power to mine their own new blockchain with a 51% attack anymore.  Downloading most of that 145GB blockchain is simply ridiculous.
Doing that violates Bitcoin Core's security model and there are so many things wrong with doing that that can be attacked. Clearly you have not thought through ramifications of doing so or you do not understand the ramifications of doing that.

aleksej996

Activity: 490
Merit: 389

Do not trust the government

View Profile
October 30, 2017, 10:18:45 AM

The Bitcoin blockchain seriously needs to be clipped off.  Take off the first 470,000 or so blocks and begin from there, no one has enough hash power to mine their own new blockchain with a 51% attack anymore.  Downloading most of that 145GB blockchain is simply ridiculous.

You can already do this with the right configuration. 145GB is not that big these days with 1TB hard drives and fiber optics Internet connections becoming common place in homes. As achow101 said, that would sacrifice the security for ease of use, which a lot of people don't need or want. It is also useful for people to be able to look at any transaction in the past and every block, as people use Bitcoin blockchain for multiple reasons.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: