Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 12:20:09 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: NEW: Bitcoin Mining Calculator with Difficulty Change Adjusted Calculations  (Read 17269 times)
KaptainBlaZzed (OP)

Activity: 100
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 06:30:26 PM

I have created a new "All In One" Bitcoin Mining Calculator that takes into account the difficulty change when calculating the numbers. Grin

www.kaptain.me/btc_calc.php

In addition, i have taken the unique features of each Bitcoin calculator currently on the net and put them all conveniently in one calculator.

They Include:
  • Basic Bitcoin Production Calculator
  • Estimated Difficulty Change Production Calculator
  • Electricity Cost Calculator
  • Return on Hardware Investment Calculator
  • Time Frame Profit Calculator
  • MHashas to Maintain Current Production After the Difficulty Change Calculator

I have double checked all the calculations, but if you think something is not calculating correctly, please let me know.

The calculations are based on the known estimated difficulty change.  
They do not extrapolate and account for the unknown future difficulty changes because in theory after the difficulty change we should be producing 6 blocks an hour and a difficulty change would not be needed.

My host is a little  slow, please be patient.

Thanks,

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Synaesthesia

Activity: 546
Merit: 253

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 06:33:34 PM

Nice & simple yet useful. Good job  Wink
Leandro César

Activity: 536
Merit: 503

+1

View Profile WWW
June 27, 2011, 06:40:55 PM

Very good!

L.

Leandro César
naypalm
Legendary

Activity: 1272
Merit: 1012

howdy

View Profile WWW
June 27, 2011, 10:52:51 PM

Well done, it looks very good on my end!

mmortal03
Legendary

Activity: 1762
Merit: 1010

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 10:56:05 PM

Looks good.  Now we need someone to write one that does do a conservative estimate of additional difficulty increases.  Difficulty increases aren't completely predictable, but writing an estimator that uses the exponential curve that best fits previous increases would be a good start.
bcpokey

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 28, 2011, 12:44:22 AM

Looks good.  Now we need someone to write one that does do a conservative estimate of additional difficulty increases.  Difficulty increases aren't completely predictable, but writing an estimator that uses the exponential curve that best fits previous increases would be a good start.

Nah.

What someone really needs to do is have a graphing function, and after about a months extrapolation it says something like this:

KaptainBlaZzed (OP)

View Profile
June 29, 2011, 02:22:24 PM
Last edit: June 29, 2011, 03:13:14 PM by KaptainBlaZzed

Looks good.  Now we need someone to write one that does do a conservative estimate of additional difficulty increases.  Difficulty increases aren't completely predictable, but writing an estimator that uses the exponential curve that best fits previous increases would be a good start.

I would gladly write that in if somebody would help me with the mathematical calculations to do this.

Anybody have an idea on how to do this?
apflux

Activity: 6

View Profile
June 29, 2011, 02:35:47 PM

Yes, it's very simple. All you need is a dice.  Cool
tonto

Activity: 609

View Profile
June 29, 2011, 08:00:33 PM

Looks good.  Now we need someone to write one that does do a conservative estimate of additional difficulty increases.  Difficulty increases aren't completely predictable, but writing an estimator that uses the exponential curve that best fits previous increases would be a good start.

I would gladly write that in if somebody would help me with the mathematical calculations to do this.

you could take previous difficulties, and the time it took between them, and extrapolate possible future difficulties.
KaptainBlaZzed (OP)

View Profile
June 30, 2011, 02:12:24 PM

Take a look at this.
https://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=13339.msg183351#msg183351

The thing is, it is not like figuring out an exact Difficulty in the future, but a probability distribution. This is what you need to determine risk vs. reward for an investment. Figure out what your risk tolerance is and then decide how much you are willing to risk.

It is not OK to do this: "Price and Difficulty will be X two months from now so I can calculate my return from that."

But it is OK to do this: "There is a 50% probability that Price and Difficulty will be above/below level X two months from now. That is/is not an acceptable risk to me."

The numbers you linked to look interesting, but could you explain the calculations and how you got the numbers?
TheVirus

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 01, 2011, 04:10:00 PM

If you need help with anything, let me know, I'd love to help out. I was working on www.thevir.us/bitcoin before I got busy at work and realized that scraping a ton of hardware sites will require far too much work to gather prices. I don't do estimates on difficulty, but it shouldn't be too much work to implement given the available resources and past difficulty jumps.
bcpokey

Activity: 602

View Profile
July 01, 2011, 05:28:08 PM

Take a look at this.
https://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=13339.msg183351#msg183351

The thing is, it is not like figuring out an exact Difficulty in the future, but a probability distribution. This is what you need to determine risk vs. reward for an investment. Figure out what your risk tolerance is and then decide how much you are willing to risk.

It is not OK to do this: "Price and Difficulty will be X two months from now so I can calculate my return from that."

But it is OK to do this: "There is a 50% probability that Price and Difficulty will be above/below level X two months from now. That is/is not an acceptable risk to me."

The numbers you linked to look interesting, but could you explain the calculations and how you got the numbers?

A good place to start is to look at the correlation between a moving average of price with Difficulty. I think you will find that a 10-12 week moving average will give you a fairly linear correlation. You can apply Pearson to give you an objective measure of the degree of correlation. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pearson_product-moment_correlation_coefficient

Once you have that you will find that Difficulty can be approximated by multiplying the moving average of price (the one you found to have a high degree of correaltion) with some factor. Let's say you use a factor that is in between all the ratios of Difficulty to the moving average of price going back as far as your data goes. You will find that these ratios fall on a more or less normal probability distribution. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Normal_distribution So, you can characterize the likelihood that the actual Difficulty will fall so far from your projection.

There are several methods you can use from there to dial in results that give you less variance and a more reliable outcome. One method I use is to max out the degree to which the moving average of price is correlated with Difficulty by applying a custom weighting to the average. You could try to go for accuracy and optimize it by minimum average deviation. It will occasionally give you some spectacularly close hits, but this is statistically fragile. That is, it can produce more outliers. So, what I prefer to do is to minimize the expected maximum deviation. This method specifically targets outliers to help ensure your projection falls within a certain range of probability. It won't always give you the most accurate result, but it will give you more reliable results with in an advertised range.

All this can give you pretty reliable results for a projection that is one re-target out, like I have been getting. But the real trick is to try and figure out what Difficulty is likely to be going further out. This is because future Difficulty is highly dependent on what the exchange rate is going to be. What I have been experimenting with to try and go out farther with the projection, without trying to determine what price is going to be, is to simply drop terms from the moving average going forward. But the shorter the average gets the less correlated it gets and the more variance it produces. So I have to use a bunch of tricks to try and keep the variance down. One of those is to apply a weighting to the truncated average, another is to optimize it to reduce outliers as described above. Yet another is to eliminate outliers by discarding earlier data samples that do not correlate well. But this is a slippery slope, because it can make your data more statistically fragile and actually produce more outliers.

The next step, which I am still working on, is to come up with meaningful way to do actual price projections. And more importantly, to attribute a meaningful probability distribution to price projections. This is a work in progress.

I wish there were some kind of simple formula to use but as soon as you put something like that together it breaks. I continually re-evaluate and update the models I use as more data comes in.

An interesting project, and I feel one that has had some impressive results, but I wonder if your goals aren't a bit too lofty. Modelling human greed/ambition/deceit and so on has a pretty poor track record (consider the billions poured into the biggest brains on wall street). If you enjoy it though, more power to you, and I'll be subbing your projection thread to watch with interest your progress.
KaptainBlaZzed (OP)

View Profile
July 06, 2011, 02:11:38 PM

Made a few changes to the script, Enjoy!!  Cool
KaptainBlaZzed (OP)

View Profile
July 23, 2011, 03:34:28 AM

Added error checking for all user entries.

and if any of the data GETS fail, the calculator will now still function.
murfshake

Activity: 84

View Profile
July 24, 2011, 02:41:42 AM

Awesome, I hope the calculations are correct!
Zodiac1233

Activity: 616
Merit: 524

Bitvest & 777Coin Developer

View Profile WWW
July 24, 2011, 04:38:17 AM
Last edit: July 24, 2011, 04:53:51 AM by Zodiac1233

Nah.

What someone really needs to do is have a graphing function, and after about a months extrapolation it says something like this:
I've made my own mining calculator with a profits and Bitcoin mining graph. My calculator factors in all the same information as the OP's. My source code is also available for download.
http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=27550.0

@KaptainBlaZzed: Your calculator agrees 100% with mine on it's calculations.

BITVEST DICE
HAS BEEN RELEASED!

▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
██████████▀▀██████████
█████████░░░░█████████
██████████▄▄██████████
███████▀▀████▀▀███████
██████░░░░██░░░░██████
███████▄▄████▄▄███████
████▀▀████▀▀████▀▀████
███░░░░██░░░░██░░░░███
████▄▄████▄▄████▄▄████
██████████████████████
▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
█████▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄███
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░▄████
█████░░▄███▄░░░░██████
█████▄▄███▀░░░░▄██████
█████████░░░░░░███████
████████░░░░░░░███████
███████░░░░░░░░███████
███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████
██████████████████████
▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
███████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███████████▀▀▄▄█░░░░░█
█████████▀░░█████░░░░█
███████▀░░░░░████▀░░░▀
██████░░░░░░░░▀▄▄█████
█████░▄░░░░░▄██████▀▀█
████░████▄░███████░░░░
███░█████░█████████░░█
███░░░▀█░██████████░░█
███░░░░░░████▀▀██▀░░░░
███░░░░░░███░░░░░░░░░░
▀██░▄▄▄▄░████▄▄██▄░░░░
▄████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄
█████████████░█▀▀▀█░███
██████████▀▀░█▀░░░▀█░▀▀
███████▀░▄▄█░█░░░░░█░█▄
████▀░▄▄████░▀█░░░█▀░██
███░▄████▀▀░▄░▀█░█▀░▄░▀
█▀░███▀▀▀░░███░▀█▀░███░
▀░███▀░░░░░████▄░▄████░
░███▀░░░░░░░█████████░░
░███░░░░░░░░░███████░░░
███▀░██░░░░░░▀░▄▄▄░▀░░░
███░██████▄▄░▄█████▄░▄▄
▀██░████████░███████░█▀
▄████████████████████▄
████████▀▀░░░▀▀███████
███▀▀░░░░░▄▄▄░░░░▀▀▀██
██░▀▀▄▄░░░▀▀▀░░░▄▄▀▀██
██░▄▄░░▀▀▄▄░▄▄▀▀░░░░██
██░▀▀░░░░░░█░░░░░██░██
██░░░▄▄░░░░█░██░░░░░██
██░░░▀▀░░░░█░░░░░░░░██
██░░░░░▄▄░░█░░░░░██░██
██▄░░░░▀▀░░█░██░░░░░██
█████▄▄░░░░█░░░░▄▄████
█████████▄▄█▄▄████████
▀████████████████████▀

Rainbot
Altcoin Betting
Faucet
KaptainBlaZzed (OP)

View Profile
August 08, 2011, 12:18:58 AM

@KaptainBlaZzed: Your calculator agrees 100% with mine on it's calculations.

Kodiac, I like the program.

I am glad our calculations tie.
I am in the process of adding a graph to my calculator.

dalson

Activity: 94

View Profile WWW
August 08, 2011, 12:39:18 AM

I like your calculator!

Did something like this some time ago -> https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=28498 or directly here -> http://btcbase.com/tools

"exporting" the calculations and sharing them easy over GET links

e.g.

http://btcbase.com/tools/?Difficulity=1888786.7053531&HashRateMh_s=3000&ExchangeKurs=12.54&PowerC=1500&PowerCo=0.21&DifInc=5&cal=go

greetings, dalson
d9000

Activity: 14

View Profile
August 08, 2011, 05:52:45 AM

Checking it out right now, this looks really good.
KaptainBlaZzed (OP)

View Profile
September 20, 2011, 03:14:17 AM

Added a graph to the calculator so you can see your money. Smiley
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: