Bitcoin Forum
September 26, 2018, 03:41:13 PM *
News: ♦♦ New info! Bitcoin Core users absolutely must upgrade to previously-announced 0.16.3 [Torrent]. All Bitcoin users should temporarily trust confirmations slightly less. More info.

Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Best Linux distro to run a full node  (Read 1056 times)
neurotypical

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 05, 2017, 07:27:29 PM

Well I still think that using OpenBSD would probably be the best option and that objectively it is very trivial to use an OS without a GUI, as I believe GUIs are just there so it looks nice. I don't see many reasons not to go through slightly more effort for better security when you are already switching to Linux, but it doesn't matter that much anyway. Ubuntu should be just fine and it has good community support so you will be able to search the Internet for any problems you might encounter. Also you can download Ubuntu with different GUIs if looks are important to you, like a Gnome variant. Installing drivers was always difficult in Linux so I don't recommend doing that, as that is harder then doing anything that was mentioned above, altho even that is not that hard and can be done in like a dozen of commands in like 10 minutes. But still, using Ubuntu should be just fine for someone who doesn't like command lines.

I don't like Ubuntu's bloated default GUI, too resource consuming. I will try both Lubuntu and Xubuntu and decide.

I was recommended not to use Mint, it had some security concerns in the past.

About OpenBSD... too complex without a GUI. Not having a GUI may give someone not experienced too much power if you type in the wrong command.

I will just encrypt the linux partition it and use the node as a wallet. I don't see any other way to keep using Bitcoin Core to transact that isn't a pain in the ass.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.