Bitcoin Forum
June 01, 2024, 03:24:13 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Who would win in a fight?  (Voting closed: June 20, 2013, 04:03:54 PM)
Spongebob Squarepants - 34 (30.9%)
Papa Smurf - 76 (69.1%)
Total Voters: 110

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Poll: Talking Price Down  (Read 2020 times)
BitcoinAshley (OP)

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 12:29:46 PM

octaft, I've thought about that before, and I don't think it's particularly relevant.

1) There are other examples (not just drugs & alcohol) of price increases due to regulation. So it can be more of another example of the same than a perfect analogy.

2) In the same way that people can be addicted to drugs, people can be addicted to money and the acquisition of wealth, and that's not even considering gambling addictions. But even that's completely irrelevant, since think about it: EVERYONE has cash or at least FederalReserveNoteCoins on their debit card. Only a small percentage of people have drugs. A means of exchange will always be in demand - especially one that is superior to many other forms.

So I think a situation that applies to something that a smaller percentage of people use regularly due to addiction (drugs) can apply pretty well to something (means of exchange) that is used by EVERYBODY due to a combination of cultural addiction and flat-out necessity.

samson
Legendary

Activity: 2097
Merit: 1070

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 12:32:22 PM

You don't need forum topics to force the price down.

When the government makes it impossible to exchange to cash out, then the investors will disappear, and the rest will hold onto their worthless BTC with pride.

I withdrew some USD from MtGox this week - no problems.

I requested an international wire Tuesday night. It was processed by MtGox on Wednesday and the money was in my bank account on Thursday.

No hassle, no problems. Very quick. $10k.
happygeorge

Activity: 146
Merit: 100

In da Jungle!

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 12:44:56 PM

It's like saying alcohol prices would plummet during the prohibition

I see you make this argument about drugs and alcohol frequently, and I'm not sure that it is the best analogy. If someone cracks down on drugs or alcohol, that doesn't stop people from the psychological or physical need for the drug, and they will go out of there way to get their drug of choice. I don't see bitcoin as having the same advantage in that area. If the crackdown on bitcoin does turn out to be successful, there's no dependence. The big sell hits, and the majority of people move on with their life. It's not nearly as easy for someone addicted to heroin or meth to move on from those drugs.

If you can think of a solid example of something being prohibited that went up in value but also isn't addictive in any way, I would be a lot more convinced. Something like guns springs to mind, but even those would logically have to stay in demand simply because the people who need them most are probably the ones who don't care about breaking laws, as well as citizens concerned with protecting their own families who are likely to put their families before the law. Guns offer a level of physical security (arguments about whether it's real or perceived aside), bitcoin does not.

You might notice I cut out the other portions of your response, as I honestly don't feel knowledgeable enough to assess them. You could be right, you could be wrong, but on the specific "drugs and alcohol" argument, I would disagree.

FYI I am not trolling you, and in fact am genuinely interested in your response.

I like your comment, but I would argue that:

Bitcoin is DAMN ADDICTIVE! Grin

-- I'm going out and getting me some  right now... I need a fresh hit!  Cheesy
happygeorge

Activity: 146
Merit: 100

In da Jungle!

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 12:49:15 PM

Listen - I love Spongebob - but Papa Smurf would straight up destry him in any sort of fight.  Papa Smurf is a total badass...  wait are we supposed to be talking about bitcoins here or???

FWIW I listen to EVERY SINGLE FREAKING WORD in this forum and trade accordingly - hence I have about 0.06btc at the moment...   well maybe ;-)

AGREED!!!  on both counts... love reading EVERY WORD HERE!!!

I will wait for the next halving, and I will come back and organize the best (most viewed) topics here, clean them up, and print them in 2-3 column small-print pages bind 'em and call it:

THE BITCOIN BIBLE!

- Prophecies for the masses... all the "hero members" will be saints, and the rest:

GODS!!!

Cheesy
seljo
Legendary

Activity: 1178
Merit: 1014

Hodling since 2011.®

View Profile
June 16, 2013, 12:59:32 PM

With all prediction threads here is what I predict;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WtyIQ79LqY

Enjoy!