Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 09:46:13 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Send from Core address to Electrum  (Read 229 times)
suky321 (OP)

Activity: 382
Merit: 256

View Profile
November 02, 2017, 09:32:10 AM

Hi, I recently had BTC in my core wallet and was snapshotted for Bitcoin Gold fork.  I don't want to use the same address for the snapshot of B2X due to potentially losing my coins.

What I was planning to do was install Electrum, then send my BTC to a receiving address in the Electrum wallet.  The Electrum wallet address will then be snapshotted for the B2X fork.

Is this the way other users are managing the forks, and is this a good and secure way to do this?

Then I could use the private keys from core to claim by BTC gold, then use the private keys from Electrum to claim B2X.  What to do with the BTC to prevent replay?

"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bob123
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 2481

View Profile WWW
November 02, 2017, 03:00:40 PM

This is a viable plan. This way is definetly secured as long your computer is not compromised and you don't fall for any faked/compromised wallet software.
To pretend a replay attack you would have to send your BTC (currently sitting in your electrum wallet) to a new (3rd) wallet.
At this point your BTC's are safe. The only transaction which could be replayed at this time would be the TX to your (new) wallet on the BTG chain.
And this wouln't harm you at all. So your coins are safe in this scenario.

suky321 (OP)

Activity: 382
Merit: 256

View Profile
November 02, 2017, 04:05:36 PM

This is a viable plan. This way is definetly secured as long your computer is not compromised and you don't fall for any faked/compromised wallet software.
To pretend a replay attack you would have to send your BTC (currently sitting in your electrum wallet) to a new (3rd) wallet.
At this point your BTC's are safe. The only transaction which could be replayed at this time would be the TX to your (new) wallet on the BTG chain.
And this wouln't harm you at all. So your coins are safe in this scenario.

Thanks bob123, appreciate your help.  For the 3rd wallet, I will send to exchange after the B2X fork and buy some alts.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: