Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 03:19:59 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: THE ALT-COIN DREAM MAY END BEFORE IT HAS EVEN BEGUN  (Read 108 times)
amishmanish (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1158

View Profile
November 02, 2017, 03:19:32 PM

I have a pretty humble, diversified portfolio. I hold some 25% BTC, 25% BCC and the rest Alts including GNT, XRP, VTC, STRAT, CIVIC etc. Theyey are petty in terms of USD but I like them little coins and tokens.
When I first saw the Alt-coin markets and the ICOs a while back, it was an exciting prospect. Getting to know new tech being implemented and it being funded with BTC and ETH. Then came the flood of scams and marketed ICOs that we have all been supporting one way or the another.

So all the Alts were supposed to be depressed as everyone is pulling their BTC from Alts for the fork. It happened before the Bitcoin Gold thing and now in anticipation of S2X. Unfortunately, there's this pattern of whales pumping the alts, including some credible ones and then dumping them to trade away with the BTC gains. This also shows that the increase in BTC price is not because of new money coming in but just the values getting transferred from Alts to BTC.
Its almost like the big BTC traders and whales are sucking the Alts dry. The only money remaining behind in Alts seem to be the smaller investors or the bag-holders.
These forks and free-money things will keep happening now and this cycle will keep repeating. Bitcoin itself would be able to be used for smart-contracts and everything else if Blockstream's plans for sidechain are anything to go by.

This can very well end the short-lived history of ICOs. Right now, I think it would be prudent to at least keep 75% of your holdings in BTC. Coz if your 25% alts survive, they'll get you the returns.
But BTC has proven that its the big tree under which the small plants will find it very hard to survive. Only the ones that create their own markets would be viable.

I would hate to see this scenario but it seems likely. The alt-projects will need to significantly up their game post the November fork to survive.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: