Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 07:05:41 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What is an ETF  (Read 327 times)
nashap (OP)

Activity: 38
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 30, 2017, 04:45:38 PM

I read that SEC  will reconsider BTC ETF can someone explain what does this mean,what is ETF and why BTC will go up because of its approve

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ikilledcobain

Activity: 446
Merit: 252

View Profile
October 30, 2017, 06:55:43 PM

You might find these articles helpful in answering that question.

Here's one about ETF's in general:
http://www.investopedia.com/terms/e/etf.asp

Here's one about a Bitcoin ETF:
https://www.cryptocoinsnews.com/bitcoin-etf-may-just-around-corner/

Hope that helps!

▀██▄ ▄██▀
            ▐█████▌
           ▄███▀███▄
         ▄████▄  ▀███▄
       ▄███▀ ▀██▄  ▀███▄
     ▄███▀  ▄█████▄  ▀███▄
   ▄███▀  ▄███▀ ▀███▄  ▀███▄
  ███▀  ▄████▌   ▐████▄  ▀███
 ███   ██▀  ██▄ ▄██  ▀██   ███
███   ███  ███   ███  ███   ███
███   ███   ███████   ███   ███
 ███   ███▄▄       ▄▄███   ███
  ███▄   ▀▀█████████▀▀   ▄███
   ▀████▄▄           ▄▄████▀
      ▀▀███████████████▀▀
DeepOnion
Anonymous and Untraceable
ANN  Whitepaper  Facebook  Twitter  Telegram  Discord 

▄▄██████████▄▄
    ▄███▀▀      ▀▀█▀   ▄▄
   ███▀              ▄███
  ███              ▄███▀   ▄▄
 ███▌  ▄▄▄▄      ▄███▀   ▄███
▐███  ██████   ▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███  ███▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███   ████▀   ▄███▀
███▌  ███   █▀   ▄███▀  ███
▐███   ███     ▄███▀   ███
 ███▌   ███  ▄███▀     ███
  ███    ██████▀      ███
   ███▄             ▄███
    ▀███▄▄       ▄▄███▀
      ▀▀███████████▀▀
DamCryp

Activity: 179
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 30, 2017, 07:47:18 PM

Just a quick answer with no links, the acronym stands for Exchange Traded Fund, they are backed by a company who creates a fund with a certain composition can be 100% one asset or several and a stablished underlying asset (which again can be one or several, like Gold, energy stocks, metals, BTC, etc...) and is listed in regular exchanges like, NYSE, DAX and others.
In other words its buying a portfolio that can be listed in a stock market, and fluctuates accordingly to the underlying asset.
yeamin.rsl

Activity: 700
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 30, 2017, 08:37:19 PM

ETF is a sort form of 'Exchange Trade Fund'. It's actually a total collection of assets (something like that a mutual fund or also be a bitcoin or anything else) that trades on exchange. Its very easy to use and have a low cost . We also can use it to invest money.
Deathgamer

Activity: 322
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 31, 2017, 12:48:11 AM

I read that SEC  will reconsider BTC ETF can someone explain what does this mean,what is ETF and why BTC will go up because of its approve

According to what I have found on my research,ETF or exchange-traded fund is an investment fund traded on stock exchanges, much like stocks. An ETF holds assets such as stocks, commodities, or bonds and generally operates with an arbitrage mechanism.
spinach98

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 31, 2017, 09:13:20 AM

btc etf would mean the owner of the fund invest your btc into alt coins.

The meaning of ETF or exchange-traded fund is an investment fund traded on stock exchanges, much like stocks.An ETF holds assets such as stocks, commodities, or bonds and generally operates with an arbitrage mechanism.
ZFXToken

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
October 31, 2017, 02:14:58 PM

Courtesy of Matt Levine (Bloomberg), thought he was on point here with what the purpose of a BTC ETF would be...

Bitcoin ETF.

What is the point of a bitcoin exchange-traded fund?

An ETF would give retail investors as well as institutions an easy way to get exposure to bitcoin, compared with buying or selling it on digital exchanges and holding it on a wallet secured to the blockchain, the software ledger that powers bitcoin and its cousins.

That is from this story about how people are confident that there will eventually be a bitcoin ETF, and they're excited for it. ("People are looking for something fresh and new in the ETF space," says a product developer.) At some level I get the point that there are regulatory uses for a bitcoin ETF. If you are an investor with a mandate limited to holding securities -- like some mutual funds or retirement accounts -- then you can't buy bitcoins, but you can buy shares of a bitcoin ETF. Now whether you should be able to do that is an open question -- presumably you are restricted to buying securities for a reason -- but I assume that some mandate-limited investors want to buy bitcoins, and regulatory arbitrage is one of the great main streams of financial innovation, and who am I to question it.

But I suspect that the main explanation is the one I quoted above: An ETF is "an easy way to get exposure to bitcoin, compared with" the insurmountable garbage that one goes through to acquire bitcoins directly and hold them securely. (Remember all the bitcoin enthusiasts who hold their private keys on paper in bank vaults.) The main reason many people don't acquire bitcoins directly is not that they are mandate-limited to holding securities -- most people don't have a problem holding dollars, which are not securities -- but that it is not especially easy to acquire and hold bitcoins. As a currency, bitcoin is frustratingly difficult -- so much so that it may be easier to go to a broker and buy shares of an ETF to get exposure to bitcoin, rather than to hold it directly.

Of course if you are buying shares in a bitcoin ETF it is to bet that the price of bitcoin will go up. If you are betting that the price of bitcoin will go up, it might be because you think that bitcoin will see further adoption as a currency. But the fact that you are buying shares of the ETF, rather than buying bitcoin directly, undermines that thesis. The need for a bitcoin ETF is an argument against buying it.
Velkro
Legendary

Activity: 2296
Merit: 1014

View Profile
October 31, 2017, 02:36:14 PM

Its a financial instrument of old world.
People are still bound by mind to old rules, old financial world. Bitcoin don't need support of old financial world. We are new era. We are revolution.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: