Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 10:11:22 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Idea 4 lost bitcoin problems  (Read 2107 times)
Stampbit

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 12:17:20 AM

Bitcoins arent lost, they're value is just gained by everyone else!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
edd
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
June 21, 2013, 12:54:09 AM

I know if this was a service that a wallet provided I would definitely pay a little extra on all transactions I am not sure of.  Maybe a payment insurance or something like that.

And in the instance mentioned above, it was a hosting provider and now no longer takes bitcoins because of this lack of recourse. Its ended up being a lose lose.. I lost my coins I sent as a payment, and still had to pay for hosting using an other method.

Would anyone else pay a small fee to have deliver insurance or confirmation on it?  So if this happens you could get your payment back.. There has to be something a wallet company could add..

I dont see this happening. Theres not a need for it because if a transaction is sent to an address it would arrive..

This. The problems experienced by the OP weren't caused by Bitcoin, they were due to human failings. Asking to implement features that safeguard users against stupid mistakes is pointless. The code shouldn't have to babysit everyone due to the carelessness of a few.

Still around.
Eri

Activity: 264
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 01:00:37 AM

It sucks, but this is surely not your fault. if they gave you an incorrect address to send the payment to then its their fault, not yours. Im sure they started using bitcoin because they liked the idea that it could be reversed, ie. someone pays for their service then 3 months later ... charge back.

It seems to me they liked bitcoin untill they didnt use it properly and lost some money. The result is squarely their responsibility. you in no way owe them another payment. You should request the payment back if they charged you twice, or have them double the length of the service the payment would have bought you. Its a matter of 'good business'. If they cant do that i think you should post the companies website and name.

Can we put their company in the scammer section? (they received payment, withheld service, demanding another payment).
MagicBit15

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

Let's Start a Cryptolution!!

View Profile
June 21, 2013, 02:19:50 AM

I always thought about going through old computers for bitcoins that people may have forgotton about years ago. I think it is an extremely interesting concept!!

Tips for Tips: 1Jy8ZycPNjnwNLevNwoRRqPAKkZ8Fqnukc
I won the poetry contest!! https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=219714.40 Thank You, Sir Lambert!!
+5 Rep: Successful Forum Transactions: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=176117.0  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=209024.0 https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=233052 Check My Rep!!
bitvisit (OP)

Activity: 41
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 22, 2013, 03:13:39 PM

I get that people think its just my stupidity but that wasn't the question I was asking.
To me I love bitcoin, and I would like to see it go much more main stream than it is.
After this situation I saw an opportunity for an optional service that if used, could in my opinion, solidify bitcoin even further and help it go more mainstream.

My question was if my solution is not feasible, what things could be done to help bitcoin become more solid, and would a method of recourse be one of those things?

And for those who do not believe..  See excerpt from the email I got from them.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Our Management team made decision to remove BitCoin from payment methods.

Some of the reasons are:
- Complicated administration in XXXXXXXX, which cause more costs then profit over this currency.  
- Risk of similar scenario like with Liberty Reserve, where we lost few thousands.

From now on, we accept following methods:

- Visa / Master Card
- Bank Transfer / Wire
- WebMoney
- Payza
- PayPal

We plan adding some extra payment methods, however, we won't focus on adding LR/BTC similar payment methods, but the methods who really can do safe business for us as a company and you as our clients.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The fact is Bitcoin is too volatile for mainstream use as it sits right now.  
Which good or bad seems to be how most of the people in this thread like it.  

Thanks for those who gave their opinions.. and ideas..

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: