Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 10:33:19 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 19GPU B250 Expert users, UNITE!  (Read 3096 times)
mikespax (OP)

Activity: 362
Merit: 102

View Profile
November 05, 2017, 03:52:46 PM

Is there anyone out there using this board? What are you mining?

Bitrated user: mikespax.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
November 05, 2017, 11:08:42 PM

Got them running around 666 sol/s or 10200 sol/s total now as I dropped the powerlimits to reduce heat and noise. I have mostly founder's editions as well as a few gigabyte gaming OCs, 2 gigabyte turbos and two pny 1080ti blowers. Overclocks don't really have so much affect on hashrate with equihash I believe, but everything is running at 150+ core and 450+ memory.

Equihash can be wierdly picky about overclocks, sometimes MORE overclock gives less hashrate.
 It doesn't seem to be super picky about memory clocks though.

My GTX 1080 ti Aorus pulls 620 sol/s at 150 watts (60% tdp) for a bit over 4.0 efficiency - which seems to be it's most efficient point or very close to it's most efficient point.
 GTX 1070 ti (I got my EVGA SC today) at 60% can manage quite a bit better than 4 - more like 4.4 - at +200 core +700 memory in afterburner (but the card UNDERCLOCKS the memory by default a little for some reason).

Up side of the 1080 ti though is rig density and fewer cards to deal with, even if it IS a little less efficient than some of the alternatives.

Hi QuintLeo,

Would you mind sharing what are your core&mem overclock settings for the GTX 1080 ti Aorus 620 sol/s at 150 watts (60% tdp)? That s pretty good number you 've got there.

+100 core +100 memory.

I suspect any of the "2.5 slot wide" 1080 ti models will match that VERY closely, as they all seem to have near-identical factory overclocks and equally overkill cooling.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
s3c70r

Activity: 83
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 20, 2017, 08:22:19 PM

My long awaited 19 x P106-100 just landed at my place. Will start building soon. Can't wait to boot that mobo !
QuintLeo
Legendary

View Profile
November 21, 2017, 08:15:00 PM

Hehe I just disconnected my baseboard to connect my PDU on that nice 30A 240V breaker to heat my place too.

I believe 19GPUs will run at approx 1900W so there's no way a regular 15A 120V can handle it. Buyers beware !

My long term intent is to build up to probably 17 cards (1070 ti), but using 3 850 watt power supplies split between 2 circuits and running the cards in their "high efficiency" range at 100-110 watts per card.
 2 x 6 running by themselves on each of 2 PS, then 5 + MB/RAM/HD on a third - though I might go with a 1250/1300 (I've got some X1250 Seasonic and 1300 EVGA G2 not in use) to power 7 cards, that PS would be on it's own circuit that would probably have a box fan and monitor and nothing else.

Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
s3c70r

View Profile
November 27, 2017, 05:59:55 PM

21 x P106-100 Smiley

Gotta play with AsusTweakII now.

cryptbro

Activity: 82
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 27, 2017, 07:51:15 PM

21 x P106-100 Smiley

Gotta play with AsusTweakII now.

https://i.imgur.com/h00cIEt.png

Where are you guys finding the P106s? Alibaba?
flip4flop

Activity: 378
Merit: 135

View Profile
November 27, 2017, 07:55:21 PM

Adding my second PSU this weekend. I can just plug it in straight to the Motherboard right? I dont need to get the add2PSU connector right?

I will finally have the power now to maximize the board, now I just need to keep accumulating cards as I ROI them to get the board all filled up.
s3c70r

View Profile
November 27, 2017, 08:32:50 PM

Adding my second PSU this weekend. I can just plug it in straight to the Motherboard right? I dont need to get the add2PSU connector right?

I will finally have the power now to maximize the board, now I just need to keep accumulating cards as I ROI them to get the board all filled up.

Yes, these 3 x 24pin are just a daisy chain.
mikespax (OP)

Activity: 362
Merit: 102

View Profile
November 27, 2017, 09:46:17 PM

Are you able to mine anything besides equihash on 20 cards?

Bitrated user: mikespax.
shibob

Activity: 672
Merit: 154

Blockchain Evangelist.

View Profile WWW
November 28, 2017, 01:51:43 AM

Very impressive s3c70r! Could you share a bit about CPU, RAM, have you used virtual RAM, or any special requirement for your 21 GPUs setting?

Thanks!
s3c70r

View Profile
November 28, 2017, 04:27:09 AM

Are you able to mine anything besides equihash on 20 cards?

21 cards and yes, ethash is fine too. Didn't tried other mining softwares beside claymore dual and ewbf/dstm.

But as long the software is fine with 21 GPUs everything is good.
s3c70r

View Profile
November 28, 2017, 04:29:31 AM

Very impressive s3c70r! Could you share a bit about CPU, RAM, have you used virtual RAM, or any special requirement for your 21 GPUs setting?

Thanks!

i3-7100, 8GB Ram, 32GB virtual RAM.

Cheapest PCIE 1 to 4 extender from aliexpress.

Stable so far.
shibob

Activity: 672
Merit: 154

Blockchain Evangelist.

View Profile WWW
November 28, 2017, 05:12:18 AM

Thanks!

Stable so far.

Thank you very much!
I will take a try again as I get enough GPUs.
Heardalis

Activity: 453
Merit: 264

View Profile
November 28, 2017, 05:20:10 AM

Thanks!

Stable so far.

seems like windows can handle over 8+ GPUs, is that win 10 ? how about the updates and drivers ? the last one ?
ala12uk

Activity: 16
Merit: 1

View Profile
November 28, 2017, 06:31:38 AM

By the way,
I have been in touch with Asus Technical Support just yesterday and here is the summary to those who are interested:
1) on Asus official website it is mentioned that "An unlimited number of GPUs will be supported following a driver update that is planned for Q4 2017"
https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/B250-MINING-EXPERT/
2) Although it is clearly mentioned that unlimited # of GPUs will be supported this year, the technical support could NOT confirm such info, so basically they are clueless whether this will actually happen this year or not
3) At the moment, you can run a maximum of 13 AMD GPUs without facing great challenges. However, officially it is not recommended to exceed 11 AMD GPUs
4) There is one official thread from Asus where they propose different set-ups, so yes, if you max on 13 AMD GPUs, the Mobo will look for P106 mining specific GPUs to complement the 19
https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1034921

It is very interesting what do you guys think about this Mobo
From one hand, we all know that AMD is the king in mining:
1) it has got better hashrate for every dollar invested
2) yes i hear about electricity efficiency of the Nvidia cards, but if you make your calculations you will find out that 5,000$ invested on AMD cards will net more $$$ than if they were invested on Nvidia cards, regardless of the coin you mine and regardless of the cost of electricity at your location. if you think otherwise, send me your #s and i will be very happy to revise them, i am pretty sure you must have missed something
3) If we can max only 13 GPUs on this Mobo or officially 11, then do we really need 19 slots? assuming that you really want to get the best out of your invested $$?
4) Has any of you challenged Asus on this limitation of 11 AMD GPUs? has anyone got further info when this limit will be eliminated?

Thank you!

QuintLeo
Legendary

View Profile
November 28, 2017, 10:54:45 AM

AMD is only the king of mining on some algorithms, on others NVidia blows them out of the water, and there are a few it can be fairly close now that the RX "good mining" AMD card pricing is finally getting back down to reasonable.

Don't ASSUME that ETH is the only thing out there like way too many clueless website reviews, even if it does have more GPUs mining it than any other algorithm.

ala12uk

View Profile
November 28, 2017, 02:21:58 PM

AMD is only the king of mining on some algorithms, on others NVidia blows them out of the water, and there are a few it can be fairly close now that the RX "good mining" AMD card pricing is finally getting back down to reasonable.

Don't ASSUME that ETH is the only thing out there like way too many clueless website reviews, even if it does have more GPUs mining it than any other algorithm.

Could you please give me a concrete example of one single coin and one single Nvidia card?
I want to make my own calculations and show you that investing the same amount of USD you will have higher returns by using the AMD card rather than the Nvidia
Please do NOT confuse me here, i am not trying to annoy you or anyone else
I am trying to benefit myself and others viewing this thread
I am be missing some info and i am very happy to learn from you
However, if Nvidia is able to blow up AMD on a particular Algo, the question remains how much does that Nvidia card cost, and how much does it net at the end of the day, then you will have the net return per dollar invested
For example if Nvidia nets 3 dollars a day but costs 900$, this means that each dollar invested returns 0.0033
However, if AMD costs only 400$ and returns only 2$ instead of 3$, this means that each dollar invested returns 0.005 which is obviously higher than Nvidia

So please give me a specific card and a specific currency and i would like to make my own calculations and come back to you...
QuintLeo
Legendary

View Profile
November 28, 2017, 09:37:24 PM

Could you please give me a concrete example of one single coin and one single Nvidia card?
I want to make my own calculations and show you that investing the same amount of USD you will have higher returns by using the AMD card rather than the Nvidia
Please do NOT confuse me here, i am not trying to annoy you or anyone else
I am trying to benefit myself and others viewing this thread
I am be missing some info and i am very happy to learn from you
However, if Nvidia is able to blow up AMD on a particular Algo, the question remains how much does that Nvidia card cost, and how much does it net at the end of the day, then you will have the net return per dollar invested
For example if Nvidia nets 3 dollars a day but costs 900$, this means that each dollar invested returns 0.0033
However, if AMD costs only 400$ and returns only 2$ instead of 3$, this means that each dollar invested returns 0.005 which is obviously higher than Nvidia

So please give me a specific card and a specific currency and i would like to make my own calculations and come back to you...

ZEC. Compare against any of the Nvidia cards in the GTX 1070 to GTX 1080 ti range - on both "power efficient" and on "max hashrate".

AMD cards are ALMOST getting competative there again - but even with RX 570 cards in the $209 range they still have a bit to go to manage it.

To be fair, go ahead and include the "return" figures for the AMD card doing ETH vs the NVidia card doing ZEC, as that is probably going to be the "best option" for each card.

Don't forget to factor in SYSTEM COST - the AMD card might be half the price, but you also need to add in the "cost per slot" of the system itself on each side, which will be the same.

It's a more fair comparison to compare a common 6 card RIG of each card involved, since cards don't mine by themselves.

ala12uk

View Profile
November 29, 2017, 06:11:04 AM

ZEC. Compare against any of the Nvidia cards in the GTX 1070 to GTX 1080 ti range - on both "power efficient" and on "max hashrate".

AMD cards are ALMOST getting competative there again - but even with RX 570 cards in the $209 range they still have a bit to go to manage it.

To be fair, go ahead and include the "return" figures for the AMD card doing ETH vs the NVidia card doing ZEC, as that is probably going to be the "best option" for each card.

Don't forget to factor in SYSTEM COST - the AMD card might be half the price, but you also need to add in the "cost per slot" of the system itself on each side, which will be the same.

It's a more fair comparison to compare a common 6 card RIG of each card involved, since cards don't mine by themselves.

Thank you QuintLeo for the insight, so here are the #s for all of us to review, critisize and learn what is the most profitable GPU\Coin to mine for x amount of $ invested:
Pre-assumptions:
1) Since we assume that we will build two SIMILAR rigs, each accommodating 8 GPUs, this means that the common expenses of each GPU will be the same, meaning that one Nvidia GPU will need for example extra 10$ to be functionally mining and the same goes for one AMD GPU. Therefore, this will leave us focused on the cost of the GPU, Electricity draw, and $s generated at the end of the day\week\month
2)  Lets assume that the cost of electricity is 0.11$ per K\W. If it is a bit different this will affect both cards and not one of them

Lets start with the Nvidia cards:
1) ASUS Dual GeForce GTX 1070 OC, DUAL-GTX1070-O8G
This card costs 406 EUR in Europe, this is the lowest price possible here for this card
The hash rates ranges from 420 to 480, so I picked up somewhere in the middle 450
Power draw ranges from 120 to 140, so I left it at 120 K\W
The results are 2.62$ net profit per day
If we divide 2.62$ by 406 EUR we get  0.0065$ return on each invested EUR

Now lets compare this with AMD RX 580 card:
1) AMD Sapphire RX 580 Nitro Video Card + 8GB
This card costs only 291 EUR here in Europe
The hash rate can get easily stable at 29 MH/s mining ETH
It can also dual mine DCR at 900 MH\s without impacting the hashrate of ETH
This will draw below 130 W, but to be on the safe side I use 130 W
The result is 2.48$ a day (net)
2.48$ divided by 291 EUR initial cost of GPU, will leave us with 0.0085 $ return on each invested EUR
0.0085 - 0.0065 = 0.002
0.002 divided by 0.0065 is 31% higher return from AMD compared to Nvidia

Please correct any mistakes i have made in the above calculations, also please feel free to correct them and present your own calculations, i will be very glad to point out  what i think you have missed from AMD side

Sorry for the long post, but it had to be this way, if we are going to dig into deep details
I hope that this benefits everyone...
QuintLeo
Legendary

View Profile
November 29, 2017, 09:06:39 PM

You did NOT take the total system cost into account.
 Try adding $40-$50 to the price of each card THEN compare - and that's being optimistic as I don't think you can build a viable *8 slot* system for $320. It's hard enough building a viable *6 slot* system for $320, if at all possible.

Dual mine of DCR does in fact impact ETH hashrate - that's been WIDELY reported on the Claymore dual mining thread - though it's not a big impact, 10-20% per most of the reports.

I do agree that relative profitability can vary - ETH in the last week has kicked up a lot more than ZEC has as a percentage, which is giving a bigger boost to ETH mining than to ZEC mining which is at least for the short term boosting the profits on AMD cards more than NVidia cards, at least 'till folks start building enough rigs to drive the diff up to match the price increase.

It would have been interesting to see how the numbers compared a month ago, when both ETH and ZEC were a lot lower priced and fairly CLOSE on price (and both had a bit less network hashrate).

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: